starting to jog

Options
me and boyfriend are starting to jog and ive never jogged in my whole life.
i can run for a short time. What are the benefits of jogging? Do I really gain muscle? How long do you think i should jog everyday? Iwant to burn around 300 calories.

Replies

• jnmayer
    jnmayer Posts: 1
    Options
    I've thought the same thing a couple times and have also contemplated starting to run or jog. I found this website at the beginning as a little how to that I thought would help me since I've never ran before unless unwarranted.

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

Hope it helps!
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you want to train your body to run, there's a great plan called The Couch to 5K program on Facebook or on www.coolrunning.com. It's a 9 week program that you do 3x/week and it basically gets you from beginner to running 3 miles at the end. If I run at 6mph I can burn 360 calories in 30 minutes. Walking at 3.5 mph I only burn 137. It's a much better burn for the time I might have. I started out walking when I was 70 pounds heavier. Now I can run more than 4 miles and I'm increasing my speed on short runs and slowly inreasing my distance for longer runs. What I love about running is that, yes, I can compete against others when I'm doing a 5k, but I'm also competing against myself, always trying to improve my personal best. Running isn't for everyone, but I love it. I both look forward to my running days and approach them with a bit of anxiety because I know I am always pushing myself to improve, and in the back of my head I'm always wondering if I can do what I'm asking my body to do. Good luck!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i third the c25k program. went from no jogging in the least to maintaining 3.5 miles at present. good stuff!