Anybody work 12 hr shifts moderate activity like a nurse all

Options
Been pretty hungry today at work. usually less hungry at home. not sure how many caloreis more I should eat during a 12 hr shift if any?

Replies

• aerodynamicvomit
    aerodynamicvomit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a set number. I work 12 hour shifts as an RN, and I can eat a similar calorie load, just spread it out a little more. For example, at home I might eat a breakfast meal consisting of fruit and eggs around 3-400 calories, but if I'm working 12 hours, I would eat a banana in the car enroute, and yogurt with a granola bar a few hours in, lunch about halfway through, and I seem to make it the rest of the 6 hours, but another snack midway is probably wise, then dinner when I get home (and lower carb because if I'm home at 8 and in bed by 10, I don't want a bunch of carbs chillin' in my stomach!)
  • ddonkeys
    ddonkeys Posts: 56
    Options
    I work 10-12 hour shifts working retail management in a hardware store. For myself I don't add a whole lot of extra calories. What I do is make sure I have some granola bars or protien bars on hand. The protien bars work well as a meal replacement depending on the type and tent to hold me over for a few hours without adding a bunch of calories to my day.
  • ddonkeys
    ddonkeys Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't think there's a set number. I work 12 hour shifts as an RN, and I can eat a similar calorie load, just spread it out a little more. For example, at home I might eat a breakfast meal consisting of fruit and eggs around 3-400 calories, but if I'm working 12 hours, I would eat a banana in the car enroute, and yogurt with a granola bar a few hours in, lunch about halfway through, and I seem to make it the rest of the 6 hours, but another snack midway is probably wise, then dinner when I get home (and lower carb because if I'm home at 8 and in bed by 10, I don't want a bunch of carbs chillin' in my stomach!)
    Sounds like what I do. I'm glad to see it works for others too. :-)
  • DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    My husband works 12 hours shifts as a police officer. Of course his activity can sometimes be restricted riding a crap load of miles each shift, but he's lucky not having to suffer (yet) with weight gain. I see some of the other officers struggle with weight, but my husband says what he tries to do is have several snacks available so he doesn't go hungry and doesn't over-induldge. The nights and days shift switch is hard on my husband and a lot of the officers' metabolisms and sleep patterns because they switch from nights to days every 6 weeks. It's not easy and I give props to all of you!! I eat small meals throughout the day. (And by saying meals, I don't mean sit down and eat a 3-course meal) I have a lot of quick on-the-go stuff, too. Just try to pack stuff beforehand to help you know where you're at calorie wise. :)