Cheap, Healthy Grocery Foods!

Options
I'm strapped for cash right now, but I REALLY need to start eating healthier, if I want to make my goals.

So, I was wondering if there were any secrets or good cheap grocery foods I can buy, or best grocery stores to buy from.

Thank you in advance,
Jackie.

Replies

• dwardkaiser
    Options
    BUMP
  • Jules429
    Jules429 Posts: 35
    Options
    Bump
  • angelblue510
    Options
    What is bump?
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi near you, that's where you need to go to get your fresh fruit/veggies. They have a limited selection, but I got a whole seedless watermelon for 2.99 and 2lbs of grapes for 1.49. You can't really beat that. And every week they have something different in their fruit section so it keeps it from getting boring.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What I do is grab the sales ad in the front of the store when I go in and instead of thinking about waht I want to buy BEFORE I go in, I buy what is on sale instead. You can usually stock up on meat this way. Also, you can buy frozen tilapia and it;s generally very cheap.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    start your own herb, vegetable, and fruit garden. Learn to coupon like a ninja
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Does your city have something like a Good Food Box program? We have one locally where people can puchase fresh produce for a reasonable price.
  • angelblue510
    Options
    Ooooo, I DO have an ALDI, but I had never been before thanks!

And sales, duh! Thanks!! :]

No, I'm not sure what a good box food is...
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    go to walmart! stock up on fresh produce that's in season what ever is in season is on sale, i also get cottage cheese, string cheese, shredded cheese, tortillas and yogurt! if it's just you that's all you need, you can add me and check out my diary if you want. today not the greatest example but i live off all the stuff i just listed otherwise.
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    Actually when I started eating healthier my grocery bill shrank. Veggies are pretty cheap, make you're own vegetable soups mixed frozen veggies ect, buy in bulk and weight out portions, this will not only save you money but helps with portion control, as for meat I don't eat it but I do buy and cook it for my hubby, buy in bulk and weigh, portion and label it. As for the portion controlled 100 calorie snack packs make your own, smart food cheddar pop corn for instance you can buy the hug bag and portion it out yourself to be 100 calories, look at the serving size on the 100 calorie boxes and go from there. good luck!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Bump is to move this up the board and to put it under "My Topics" to view later.

Cheap healthy foods:
    dried beans
    frozen fruits and vegetables
    brown rice
    canned tuna
    tofu
    bulk grains (steel cut oats, quinoa, etc.)
    last day fruits and veggies

I don't waste money on alot of processed foods.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    We shop at Winco, Sam's Club, and Wal-Mart. Fresh foods are not any more expensive than anything else. Farmer's Markets can have good prices on your produce. To save money, we buy our meat in bulk and then repackage with a Food Saver vacuum pack thing and then freeze the meat in packages with enough for one meal. Saves a bit of money! Also, try to shop less often...the more times you go to the store the more chances of picking impulse purchases. We go to Winco and Sam's once a month for the bulk of our shopping then just pick up milk and produce as needed, maybe once a week or 10 days. This will also save time. One big trip a month versus 1-2 hours a week. Well, that's what we do, hope it helps you out!
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Eggs, beans of all kinds. oats, sugar free jello and pudding for treats.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Try buying your groceries every week. That way you will start to notice how much food you actually need and you'll save money that way. Also, since fruits and veggies can go bad fairly quick, it's a good time frame to replenish those items. Look in your daily newspaper for coupons or check online. Also, places like Walmart honor other stores prices. So if you see something cheaper elsewhere, tell them! And don't ever feel bad about correcting a cashier on a price. I can't tell you how many times I've seen them accidentally scan an item twice or it rang up a higher price than on the shelf. Cashiers won't notice this because they're just listening for the BEEP! Only buy bulk items on sale if you intend on eating all of it before it goes bad, otherwise you're wasting your money. Buy food in season and if it's not in season, I bet'cha it's frozen. So check out the freezer aisle and get some fruits there. It's way cheaper than buying fresh. Hope this helps :)
  • kathy1117
    kathy1117 Posts: 27
    Options
    Ooooo, I DO have an ALDI, but I had never been before thanks!

And sales, duh! Thanks!! :]

No, I'm not sure what a good box food is...

im still wondering what bump is. ive seen it so many times,lol. i thought i was gonna get the answer on ur post, guess not,lol.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're located, but I have a local Asian market -- Super H Mart -- that has a huge produce section with great prices. It's also very busy all the time, so the produce doesn't sit out long. The down side is that it isn't always easy to find local produce there. I also belong to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) so I get weekly deliveries of fresh local vegetables. (That's not always the cheapest option, though.) And a tip I've read many times over is to shop the perimeter of whatever grocery store you're in, where the fresh vegetables and fruits and dairy products are located. That keeps you away from the more expensive (and more highly processed) foods. Good luck!
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump puts this topic under 'My Topics', making it easy to find later to see responses.

I buy alot of produce at Aldi - their romaine heads and spring mix bags are of good quality and usually very fresh at half the price of other stores. Some of their other produce is a great buy, some not so much, due to quality. Their Fit and Active line of products is very good too. I also use the store ads in the local paper and shop the sales.
  • klhiggs32
    klhiggs32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Market Basket Grocery stores are usually the cheapest in my area, not sure what's around you. Bananas are cheap all over. At trader joe's they're 19 cents each which is on the cheaper end. Get yourself some bananas and a jar of natural pb. it's a good, cheap, filling snack with great protein. that jar of pb will last you quite sometime if you use it in moderation. my favorite is teddie all natural it's usually under 3 bucks. Meredith Farms Veggie Burgers are really yummy for dinner as well, I usually hold the bun. you can nuke them or pan cook them and they're about $3.50 for 4 of them. you don't have to chose the top of the line options just make good decisions about what you're putting in your mouth. Think simple, clean...frozen veggies are always in my cart as well. They're cheap and if you don't get to them they're not gonna go bad on you!
  • lauramurg
    lauramurg Posts: 1
    Options
    Groceries can be really expensive ~ especially healthy groceries! It depends on where you live, but I would stick to fruit and veg that are in season, local if possible. Right now strawberries and peaches are cheap and healthy, and lettuce and tomatoes are available too. For cheaper protein/meat options, maybe try tinned tuna or salmon to make salads. Sometimes I make baked potatoes and put beans in them too. Not high in fat and offers some comfort too! Not sure if that's of any use. It's not easy, but stay healthy!
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can always buy frozen veggies! There are veggies you can get super cheap, that are also seasoned and sauced and microwavable. Also, I try to have things like boca burgers in the house because they're not too expensive, and the original ones are only 70 calories.