Another HRM ???

Options
I really want to get a HRM, but I'm afraid that the chest strap will not fit around me. I've heard that they don't work as well without a chest strap. Just like those "one size fits most" things, I need a super-giant one just like the super giant blood pressure cuff in the dr's office. Also, can someone recommend one that will work in the water?

Replies

• teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I can't get my chest strap tp stay put. I have even tried safety pinning it to my bra and it still slides down. I think it stretched when I washed it, even though I followed the directions on how to do so. Any advice?
  • snc1019
    snc1019 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Those chest straps stretch pretty far- you'll probably be fine. I have two different Polar HRM's. Just depends how much you want to spend. I've never put my HRM in the washer. I just rinse mine every time after a workout.
  • travishein
    travishein Posts: 78
    Options
    for both of these. (too tight, too lose), would you be able to wear one of those stretchy dryfit or spandex kinds of shirts . like under your shirt. and stuff the band inside that.

now i am a guy and didnt have actual boobs. but at the time my manboobs were big enough to kind of pinch the plastic part of the polar HRM strap thing in spot, i took off the elastic part because it was too tight, then too loose from stretching, and i always got the wicedest acne from where the band touched me. but the obscene tight shirt i wore under my regular shirt was kind of like a chest tube sock to hold the HRM thing in spot for me.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I use mine in the water and it works fine. Also regarding the chest strap, can you go to a local store to check out the model you'd like in person, even if in the end you decide to buy online you'll be able to see what you're ordering. The mens Polar FT7, the only difference between that and the womens model Polar FT7 is the width of the watch and the strap is s-xxxl for the mans. The womens has quite a range for the strap as well.

You can also buy the strap separately at Scheeles Sporting Goods, I believe Polar sells the strap separately in case one would need to replace the strap only.

I was quite large when I got mine and had no problem, I really don't think you will either. If you're worried you can gets a Mans and go with that. I've never ever had an issue with my Polar FT7 Chest strap staying in place just above my Sports Bra band or with my suit on in the water.

You'll never regret purchasing one for yourself! As long as you don't go the cheap route, by cheap I don't necessarily mean cost, but brand.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    Have you looked into getting a Bodybugg or something similar? You wear it on your arm and it is more accurate than a HRM that I have found. I love mine and it has helped me lose weight more efficiently. Counting calories is great but it doesn't do any good if you don't know how many cals you are burning. I fell into the trap that eating 1200 cals per day, wking out 5-6 days a wk, 30-60 mins a pop that I would lose weight. Come to find out after having my Bugg for a month, I was accidentally starving my body. Once I started using the bugg keeping my cal def at 1000 per day the weight started to fall off.

Good luck hope you find what you are looking for.
  • DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. I was also concerned about the fit, but I have had no problems. The chest strap sits under your breasts, like where your bra band would sit. I wear a 54G bra and have no problems with the chest strap, and have room for adjusting it larger and smaller as well. I hope this gives you a helpful reference.

I also use mine in the water. I do water aerobics and swim laps at least 3 times a week. It works fine, and I feel it is accurate. It is not uncomfortable at all. After swimming, I rinse the strap well and hang to dry. Very easy to take care of.

Hope this helps!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into getting a Bodybugg or something similar? You wear it on your arm and it is more accurate than a HRM that I have found. I love mine and it has helped me lose weight more efficiently. Counting calories is great but it doesn't do any good if you don't know how many cals you are burning. I fell into the trap that eating 1200 cals per day, wking out 5-6 days a wk, 30-60 mins a pop that I would lose weight. Come to find out after having my Bugg for a month, I was accidentally starving my body. Once I started using the bugg keeping my cal def at 1000 per day the weight started to fall off.

Good luck hope you find what you are looking for.
    Personally I can't see spending that much on the device PLUS paying a monthly fee to use it on the website. I hear of several that are happy with it but later they too are wishing they hadn't committed to needing to pay a website to keep it working.

But we all find what works best for us in the end.:flowerforyou:
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!:drinker: