How to Prevent Rape

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
Author is unknown:

How to Prevent Rape

A lot has been said about how to prevent rape. Women should learn self-defense. Women should lock themselves in their houses after dark. Women shouldn’t wear short skirts. Women shouldn’t leave drinks unattended. Perhaps they shouldn’t dare to get drunk at all.

Instead of further curtailing women’s freedom, how about:

If a woman is drunk, don’t rape her.
If a woman is walking alone at night, don’t rape her.
If a women is drugged and unconscious, don’t rape her.
If a woman is wearing a short skirt, don’t rape her.
If a woman is jogging in a park at 5 am, don’t rape her.
If a woman looks like your ex-girlfriend you’re still hung up on, don’t rape her.
If a woman is asleep in her bed, don’t rape her.
If a woman is asleep in your bed, don’t rape her.
If a woman is doing her laundry, don’t rape her.
If a woman is in a coma, don’t rape her.
If a woman changes her mind in the middle of or about a particular activity, don’t rape her.
If a woman has repeatedly refused a certain activity, don’t rape her.

If a woman is not yet a woman, but a child, don’t rape her.
If your girlfriend or wife is not in the mood, don’t rape her.
If your step-daughter is watching tv, don’t rape her.
If you break into a house and find a woman there, don’t rape her.
If your friend thinks it’s okay to rape someone, tell him it’s not, and that he’s not your friend.

If your “friend” tells you he raped someone, report him to the police.
If your frat-brother or another guy at the party tells you there’s an unconscious woman upstairs and It’s your turn, don’t rape her, call the police and tell the guy he’s a rapist.

Tell your sons, god-sons, nephews, grandsons, sons of friends it’s not okay to rape someone.

Don’t tell your women friends how to be safe and avoid rape.
Don’t imply that she could have avoided it if she’d only done/not done x.
Don’t imply that it’s in any way her fault.
Don’t let silence imply agreement when someone tells you he “got some” with the drunk girl.
Don’t perpetuate a culture that tells you that you have no control over or responsibility for your actions. You can, too, help yourself.

Replies

• TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No one wants to be a victim. Thanks for your post.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    amen to that!! thanks for this post!

*Survivor*
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I used to teach a self-defense/rape avoidance course, and what I used to tell women was this--rape is like the world's most hateful game of dodgeball. In a fair, just world, we'd teach the boys to stop throwing the ball. But it's not a fair, just world, so we have to teach ourselves to dodge.

You've hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

Kris
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    :heart:

Thank you for that xx
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So true and people have to start accepting this. A friend of mine woke up in a strange man's bed and he was having sex with her. She was a regular heavy drinker but said this night she seemed to get drunk quicker than normal - in my opinion she wasn't drunk, she was drugged. She didn't deserve to be raped - nobody does. I told her it was rape and she should report it and she wouldn't - she felt it was her fault, which it wasn't. If a man gets away with that, what might he possibly move on to next? Report these things people - if not for your sake then for the sake of the next poor victim he will target.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Woman still need to learn to protect themselves. The men that do these things don't care that's its wrong, and in most cases are not afraid of the consequences. I work in a prison, I see them every day.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i love that you posted this ♥
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post. Thank you.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    brave post, and so true!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    <3

i had something similar on my fb the other day :o)
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Thanks for this.

I was raped in the host's bedroom after a holiday party. As well as the long time it took recovering physically and emotionally from the experience, it took me an even longer time to process out the thought that it was in part my fault, which made it that much more difficult. No woman needs to feel that she is to blame for being raped.
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    Great Post.

I also think a firm, even squeeze of a pistol trigger will end most rapist ambitions. I also recommend aiming for between the SOB's legs.

But hey, I'm in the military. I prefer a more fitting solution to the problem of cavemen running around...Eunuchs.

Bruce
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Although I couldn't possibly disagree with anything that's been said, least of all the OP - please let's not forget that men get raped too. :cry:
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    One thing - it's implying that women are the only ones to get raped. Men are raped, as is anyone on the gender spectrum. It's a lot harder for men to come forward about rape because it's seen as a 'women's problem', and there's less help available. It's even harder for transexuals to come forward.

Other than that, I completely agree with it. If you're not following the Slutwalk blog, do so now!

http://slutmeansspeakup.org.uk/

(That's the London one, but obviously the message is the same anywhere.)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Although I couldn't possibly disagree with anything that's been said, least of all the OP - please let's not forget that men get raped too. :cry:

this is very true, but statistically it is generally a womens issue. A woman is many many many times more likely to be raped than a man is. As horrific as male rape is.

Also a man convicted of raping another man is likely to receive a much harsher punishment than a man accused of raping a woman, who 9 times out of 10 gets off completely scott free. A man who says hes been raped is statistically much more likely to be believed, and is not generally accused of asking for it or bringing it on themselves like a woman is.

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i'm frankly torn on the slutwalk, so i haven't been following intently but proud to say I am where the movement started: yorku! (just graduated)

it does leave men out, I propose that you guys add your own, it isn't a complete list that is for sure (I didn't write it, but am sure I would be in error as well).

If a man is intoxicated, don't rape him.
    If a man isn't a man, and is a boy, don't rape him.

Things like that, but you guys get it already :)