Want to try yoga but dont want to be the only guy..

Options
s35keith
s35keith Posts: 121 Member
So I've been looking at yoga classes in my area and all they have are classes filled with moms how do I find something a little more manly/less feminine?

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The yoga classes at my gym have some men in them....
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Mine too. There are as many men as women at my gym.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My yoga class was 60-40 women to men. Shop around and see what you find. You can also call ahead and ask the instructors.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    my brother has been taking yoga for years. I bet you will find lots of guys in the class
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    p90x has a yoga dvd that i bet you could find on youtube somewhere and it is in no way feminine. Actually, it's harrrrrrd.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I take yoga on Thursdays- about a dozen of us "regulars" only one of whom is a guy. He says he doen't mind at all- gets a lot of attention from the ladies. And he is becoming a real pro... just go and enjoy!
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've taken a number of yoga classes most all of the time, men have been there as well. If you happen to be in a class that is all women (I've had a few), I've always felt welcome. My advise is take the class and enjoy. Yoga is a lot tougher than it looks so you don't need to feel embarrassed if you the only guy!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think if you go to your gym it won't matter and you won't really notice if you just focus on the poses, but yeah, don't go to mommy-and-me yoga classes. a dvd or exercise tv would take care of the problem but it does help to have an instructor for a few sessions, even one-on-one would be ideal so they can help you find the poses and muscle memory kicks in when you are on your own or a big group where no one is really helping you.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My boy friend is the only reason I started doing yoga hes amazing and is teaching me. He learned how doing yoga personals with a teacher that is a kayak massage therapist him and some of his kayak buddies got a group together and split the price of a yoga one on one and had a small group of like 3 or 4. maybe some of your buddies are interested?
  • dalbrights4
    Options
    Try Bikran or another type of "hot yoga". You will not find many girlyy mom's in that class and I know many guys that take it. Also try a fitness club.
  • JimOuellette
    Options
    I've recently started P90X and one of the work outs is yoga. I was really hesitant about it at first, however i found that its extremely beneficial and challenging. You might want to give that a try?
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Just do it? Who cares if you're the only guy. Yoga is great for flexibility and helps in all your athletic goals.

Although it is slightly emasculating when all these tiny women are going through the yoga poses without breaking a sweat and I'm struggling and hurting to hold downward dog. A relaxing pose? Relaxing? REALLY?!

No, but seriously. Just do it if you're interested!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just do it? Who cares if you're the only guy. Yoga is great for flexibility and helps in all your athletic goals.

Although it is slightly emasculating when all these tiny women are going through the yoga poses without breaking a sweat and I'm struggling and hurting to hold downward dog. A relaxing pose? Relaxing? REALLY?!

Not all of us women are flexible either! I was by far the least "bendy" person in my yoga class including the men. It was great though.
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Guess I need to just do it and stop worrying about everyone else. Thanks again for the words of encouragement!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the time of day or just the location of the studio.
    I go to a heated vinyasa class and it varies from week to week. I've been there nights where guys had the edge in numbers & i've been there when it was only 2 of us.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking if you went in there wearing your BDU's you'll be completely fine... that and a tub of protein powder and lifting gloves... Rock it brother!
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Agree! I workout in the morning at 5:30 and even at the boxing and kickboxing classes, I'm routinely the only guy in the class including the instructor. Who cares?! Especially if they are all moms and married women, there's even less pressure because it's not like you're trying to impress anyone. That being said, I haven't done yoga at my gym because I heard it's really difficult. I may give it a go though sometime. Good luck.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I'm thinking if you went in there wearing your BDU's you'll be completely fine... that and a tub of protein powder and lifting gloves... Rock it brother!

Strong transformation btw.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You could get a buddy to join with you.
    It'\s a good workout, and you'll be surprised how much you sweat.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Two points here: #1--my yoga classes always had at least one man whenever I went. #2---you, the only man, in a room full of chics and you wanna go somewhere else? What's wrong with this picture? LOL! (just teasing)

Don't worry about it. Women are very accepting creatures. I'll bet if you join them they will not only be thrilled, but think you're the smartest man alive to figure out just how good Yoga is for the body. It takes a real man to walk up into those classes. Just do it. You'll be amazed at how great you feel afterwards. I miss the ability to go to my yoga classes, my back felt sooooo much better when I was doing that!