For those who like to drink on the weekends...

nibblerbigcat
nibblerbigcat Posts: 60
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
For those of you who like to drink, how do you incorporate weight loss around that? I'm 21 and I honestly can't bring myself to stop going out on the weekends and having fun - it's what I look forward to during the week. Yet I know that the beer I drink is affecting any weight loss.

So does anybody have any tips, or any good drink options that are low cal (Besides diet soda and liquor!)

Replies

• DIva2B
    DIva2B Posts: 1
    What about the low cal beer options? I've seen the advertisement saying only 55 calories, but I don't know how they taste.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    What about the low cal beer options? I've seen the advertisement saying only 55 calories, but I don't know how they taste.

Obviously you ideally want to not drink as much but I have come to like the MGD 64 if I want to have a drink but not destroy my diet. Then there are weekends where I say the hell with and chug pints of Blue Moon.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I cannot bring myself to drink ultra light beers. YUCK.

Just drink less and plan for it (do an extra workout on the weekends or eat a little less so you have a little room for a drink or two in your calorie budget).
  • They are very watered down and not at all satisfying! Plus, they have half the alcohol content as a regular beer, so in order to achieve the same effect, you would have to drink two beers instead of just one. Consequently, defeating the entire purpose of drinking a low cal beer in the first place. The best low cal beer in my opinion is Michelob Ultra Light, and while that's still 95 calories, it tastes great.
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    Like a watered down beer. Not horrible, but not great either. I made Fathers Day my Spike Day, and had some pizza and beer (Budweiser Select 55). It was ok- having not had a beer in 6 months, but a Bass or regular Bud would have been alot better.

To the OP....I really can't help you out on this one. Theres really no way I can think of, short of guessing how much you plan on drinking, and then shorting yourself those calories during the day.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    I feel the same way :( I am 19 years old and go out most, if not all, weekends (I'm in Alberta, where we are legal at 18 :smile: ) Recently I've been drinking Crystal Light with vodka - low cal and yummy, but not all that different from diet pop I suppose... do you enjoy light beer/light coolers? There are sugar-free versions of some coolers. Also, calorie wise, shots are sometimes my friend, as long as you're careful with those :tongue:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    They are very watered down and not at all satisfying! Plus, they have half the alcohol content as a regular beer, so in order to achieve the same effect, you would have to drink two beers instead of just one. Consequently, defeating the entire purpose of drinking a low cal beer in the first place. The best low cal beer in my opinion is Michelob Ultra Light, and while that's still 95 calories, it tastes great.

The other alternative is to go with liquors (avoid mixed drinks with a ton of sugar in them). More bang for the caloric buck.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    They are very watered down and not at all satisfying! Plus, they have half the alcohol content as a regular beer, so in order to achieve the same effect, you would have to drink two beers instead of just one. Consequently, defeating the entire purpose of drinking a low cal beer in the first place. The best low cal beer in my opinion is Michelob Ultra Light, and while that's still 95 calories, it tastes great.

Five shots followed by watered down beer and you should be fine.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I just plan around it - I also don't drink a TON because I like quality over quantity. If I have to drink a Budweiser i'd rather not drink at all.... If you are looking for a buzz, hit up some lower calorie mixed drinks or shots and then have a beer but ....

Otherwise like others said - plan for it and also maybe have a day before or after where you are EXTRA good. Or if you're really gonna live it up, 2 days. Eat super healthy and light the day before and after, then just let your friday or sat night be a cheat day and go wild. A cheat day every so often is a GOOD thing.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    if you are going out dancing, then you can drink what you want. when i was 18 going out everyweek drinking stupid amounts of alcohol then a nice greasy yiros afterwards i never had issues with putting the weight on from it cos the dancing i did that night would counter it.
  • summie82
    summie82 Posts: 1
    Ice, 1.5 ounces Vodka, water, couple splashes of club soda and crystal light.. so yummy and low cal by far in comparison to other cocktails. Not to mention the water vs. soda really cuts down on the hangover.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Ice, 1.5 ounces Vodka, water, couple splashes of club soda and crystal light.. so yummy and low cal by far in comparison to other cocktails. Not to mention the water vs. soda really cuts down on the hangover.

yum!! love drinking water, vodka and crystal light - I'm going to have to add in the club soda, sounds awesome! and I definitely agree with the water helping with the hangover!
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    White spirits are the cleanest and less likely to give you a hangover. I still drink beer but only have one instead of 10! I normally drink Vodka with Mineral water and fresh lime juice, or gin and the same only has 65ish cal's. 2 vodka's with lime juice = less than most normal heavy beers...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I'm about to turn 21 too and have the same problems as you...I think I'm gonna drink one night a week (we'll see how that goes), and make sure to eat well that day and drink lots of water. You're only young once I say!!
  • Alcohol is a tricky one. Even if you're careful, you still need to go into drinking with the mentality that calories in alcohol are used before stored fat calories.

I'm 24 and work in the hospitality industry in sales, coordinating weddings and corporate meetings. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that hoteliers drink like fish. I'm no exception (on Friday, Saturday, and the occasional Sunday).

The thing I try to do is either work out on the day I KNOW I'll be going out and try to "offset" (even if it doesn't really offset it, it makes me feel better about it), or eat a little less. It also really helps to know how many calories you're looking at with many different types of alcohol.

Like everything else in the dieting world, substitution and moderation are key. If you punish yourself while dieting and making lifestyle changes, you're setting yourself up for disaster. You work hard, so enjoy yourself once in awhile. Just be smart about it. Instead of ordering that Long Island you love so much with 300 calories in it, order a Vodka Diet, Vodka Soda, or something like that. When it comes right down to it, I personally think vodka is the best "bang for your buck".
  • I love drinking a silver tequila on the rocks; with a little water and some limes. I bring little packets of stevia sweetener (no calories and so good!). Better than a real marg.

Like some other people have said, I mostly just plan for my nights out and work out harder. Super lite beers are about 3% alcohol and taste like watered down beer. Plan and stick with liquor. :)
  • megan4pr
    megan4pr Posts: 12
    Yeah... ugh. I keep reading how no matter what you do excess alcohol gives you that rim you can't loose... nice little belly. I've just decided to suck it up and drink less. Yuengling light is tolerable I guess. I decided I'm going to pick one night every few weeks to have a bit more fun, but it can't be every weekend. I find I'm still having a great weekend with my friends.

Benefits:
    -less money spent
    -more calories for sweets
    -more coherent conversations
    -get up earlier the next morning and feel like exercising

Goodluck!!
  • if you are going out dancing, then you can drink what you want. when i was 18 going out everyweek drinking stupid amounts of alcohol then a nice greasy yiros afterwards i never had issues with putting the weight on from it cos the dancing i did that night would counter it.

This is what I do :) Then come Monday, I would also do an extra hard work out at the gym.
  • Some of my coworkers and I always have mid-week cocktails. I drink the SkinnyGirl Margaritas. They are actually pretty good. I just budget however many I plan on having into my calories for the day (100 calories each). To be on the safe side, I leave a few extra so I can have a small, healthy snack when I get home. If possible, I will work out in the morning to "earn" the extra calories so I can still eat a normal breakfast and lunch before going out.
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Crystal light and vodka sounds yummy.

I remember being thin (110 lbs) even when Guinness was my beer of choice. I use to just get a small appetiser for dinner and have 2 beers. Because they are so heavy and filling I drank them slowly.

Also, if you go out dancing you'll pretty much burn all your calories from the alcohol you're drinking, so you can drink whatever cocktail you prefer. Just don't go out for 'bite' afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.