why we gain

bostongirl987
bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
why do we gain weight immediately after losing it from a calorie restricting diet? i always gain it right back when i start eating "normally" :(

Replies

• bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    why do we gain weight immediately after losing it from a calorie restricting diet? i always gain it right back when i start eating "normally" :(
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Because you have to make it a lifestyle change. Not a diet. You have to change everything you're doing.
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    As already stated this is a lifestyle change. I used to have an eating disorder and would restrict my calories to extremely low amounts. I'm talking about less than 100 calories a day. Basically water, jello, diet pop, and veggies... (I'm not saying you have a disorder or are eating only that amount, I'm just explaining what happens when you restrict!)

Once you begin eating again, which there is no doubt that you will... you gain everything back and honestly most of what you "lose" is water weight, not stubborn fat.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    It's the same as anything. Certain behaviors have certain results, remove the cause, remove the result, reintroduce that cause, and reintroduce the result.

The human body thinks in terms of action reaction. If you place yourself on a calorie restrictive diet (note: that's not the same as a diet that reduces calores in a healthy measured way) then return to the original eating pattern, the body views this as feast and famine. The human body slows down metabolism during famine, and increases energy stores (fat) during feast. So severely restrict your calories and watch your weight loss work for a while then plateau, then return to the former eating habits, and watch your weight increase.
    Better to slightly reduce calories, increase exercise, and SLOWLY lower your fat and increase your physical condition over a 2 to 3 year period, this gives the body time to adjust to a lower caloric intake without siginificant metabolic change (actually, if you increase your exercise and improve your nutrition, your metabolism should go UP).
This discussion has been closed.