Insanity Calorie intake

hendricksonpower
hendricksonpower Posts: 16
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
So I have been doing Insanity for a week now. Tomorrow is my first rest day. I have been eating 1300 to about 1500 calories a day. The nutrition guide says i should be eating 1900 + calories. That just seems like a ton of calories. I havent really lost any weight in the past week though but I was assuming that had something to do with it being my time of the month (sorry for the tmi). I still weigh 209lbs and I know that is a lot for a 5'9" 26 year old female. So my concern with eating more calories does concern me a lot. I really dont want to gain weight. I really want to lose it. Any input please! Im kinda confused.

Replies

• amydray
    amydray Posts: 26
    are you netting 1300-1500 calories after your workouts?
  • bergebl03
    bergebl03 Posts: 89 Member
    Well from what I've heard and seen thats a pretty crazy workout..so first off congrats on going for a week!...second they probably want you eating more calories because your body might be burning so much that it goes into starvation mode, and holding onto everything it has. If you dont feel comfortable eating 1900+ a day, which yes does seem like a ton, maybe increase by like 100-200 and see if that makes any difference. good luck!!
  • I know it seems like a bad idea to eat more when you want to lose weight but it's VERY important!!! You just need to make sure you're eating good calories. I always try to eat back at least half of my exercise calories. This may not work for you. I know everyone is different. I started at 250 pounds and I'm at 207 right now. You'll find what works for you :happy: It took me months but I finally began to figure it out
  • sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    just do what it says...eat the extra calories (but make them healthy good fat cals) and then do that for a few weeks and see if it works...if it makes u gain then go back to what u were doing...
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    From my experience....when I started to eat more I started to lose more....I never feel comfortable eatting more so I aim for 1500-1600 calories depending on my work out....I try to add a bit more to each meal/snack so that I don't have to eat so much after my work out...remember you want to maintain after and your body needs the protein and such to help adjust!!!! Make good choiceson the food...if you are going over b/c of extra protein, fruits, veggies, unsalted nuts with good fats- almonds etc....it will help your body grow and low the unwanted weight and fat!!!!!!

Make sure you are getting plenty of water.....remember that 8 ozs is the suggested amount...that is for an average size person....
    Take your weight and divide by 2- that is the true number of ozs your body needs.....take that number and divide by 8 that will give you your cups for your body....when I started i needed a minimum of 15 8 oz cups per day....thats alot more then 8

If you are doing Insanity you need to make sure you are getting 8oz of water every 25-30 minutes....that is in addition to your regular water!!!!

It looks like you have a lot you want to lose!!!! This will help you be even more successfull then you have already been doing...You have lost over 40 pounds....that is AMAZING!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    you need to eat more your body will go into starvation mode no more than your eating , bump up your calories work out , remember you didnt put it on in a week , its not coming off in a week its going to take time but stick with it
  • hyde1977
    From my experience....when I started to eat more I started to lose more....I never feel comfortable eatting more so I aim for 1500-1600 calories depending on my work out....I try to add a bit more to each meal/snack so that I don't have to eat so much after my work out...remember you want to maintain after and your body needs the protein and such to help adjust!!!! Make good choiceson the food...if you are going over b/c of extra protein, fruits, veggies, unsalted nuts with good fats- almonds etc....it will help your body grow and low the unwanted weight and fat!!!!!!

Make sure you are getting plenty of water.....remember that 8 ozs is the suggested amount...that is for an average size person....
    Take your weight and divide by 2- that is the true number of ozs your body needs.....take that number and divide by 8 that will give you your cups for your body....when I started i needed a minimum of 15 8 oz cups per day....thats alot more then 8

If you are doing Insanity you need to make sure you are getting 8oz of water every 25-30 minutes....that is in addition to your regular water!!!!

It looks like you have a lot you want to lose!!!! This will help you be even more successfull then you have already been doing...You have lost over 40 pounds....that is AMAZING!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!

SORRY....LONG DAY....I was reading the wrong person's stats but you have done great with yours as well!!!!!
  • hyde1977

SORRY....LONG DAY....I was reading the wrong person's stats but you have done great with yours as well!!!!!
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Do you have a heartrate monitor? I do Insanity and generally burn around the 600-700 calorie mark for most of the workouts. I am 5'5" and weigh about 136. If you figure you are burning around the same as I do, then you should be eating around the 1900 calorie mark. You have to fuel your body to do that strenuous of a workout. Try eating more calories for the next couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference. But, don't forget to make them healthy calories. I think you will be pleasantly suprised! Good luck with Insanity, it is awesome! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!
This discussion has been closed.