potassium

Options
I just recently had a friend put in the hospital because her potassium was too low. I'm a little confused about the daily allowances of potassium intake but not going over my calories for the day. Any idea?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The daily recommended allowance for potassium is 3500 milligrams. Foods that are high in potassium include bananas, many green leafy vegetables, squash, yams, beets, avocado, lima beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, lentils, split peas, soybeans, papaya, figs, prunes, and fish such as halibut, cod, snapper, and tuna. Also scallops, potatoes, dried fruits, figs, prune juice, orange juice, and squash. You can use MFP to track your daily potassium intake if you are interested.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You don't want to take a potassium supplement unless a dr told you too. TOO much potassium can be VERY dangerous. I am low in potassium but replace with food.

Here is some info:

Several major food groups are high in potassium including white meats, root vegetables, and fresh fruit, along with dairy. If prepared in a healthy way, they will also contribute to a healthy and balanced diet. If you are consuming a food for its potassium, try to eat it raw, if possible. Otherwise, bake it or include it in a soup: frying or boiling reduces the amount of available potassium, along with many other nutrients.

Postassium is also used in electrolyte replacement. Drinking TOO TOO much water can strip body of electrolytes
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Get some progresso low sodium tomato parmesan soup. It has 1780 mg of potassium and only 200 calories per can.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just recently had a friend put in the hospital because her potassium was too low. I'm a little confused about the daily allowances of potassium intake but not going over my calories for the day. Any idea?

I have an arrhythmia, so I watch super close. I usually have spinach, which I love and comes in great. OJ is good, bananas aren't too bad, and beans are pretty good, too. Some fruits and gourds are good, and all of those things can be pretty easily incorporated without too many calories.

Kris