More is better? Right? Wrong!

Options
For all of those trying to cram the most amount of exercise in one day as possible, please read. I found it interesting. The blogger even gives examples of ways to increase the effectiveness of a workout without extending the time:

http://www.niashanks.com/blog/More+Exercise+is+Not+Always+Better

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i knew this already XD
    body needs rest
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abzbargs
    abzbargs Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thiis is really interesting and I have read similar advice a few times this week. I've been on MFP for a month now and really ramped up my exercise and tried to vary it. I also started running 3 months previously and have kept it up. i am at the stage where I feel guilty if I don't work out and remembering this advice is perhaps going to help me cut back a bit. So hard to change my mind set into thinking less maybe is more though!

I don't like the Elliptical trainer and I am trying to spend as little time on it as possible. i have started doing 30 sec hard/30 sec slower speed within a 15-20 minute time frame. I find i am working really hard and my BPM is registering elevated heart and high calorie burn. I suppose i just need to try to think like this (work harder for shorter time) with other things and do more strength training.
  • katiejo42
    katiejo42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get that more isn't better if you aren't trying (e.g. work harder for better results faster) makes sense. But that's not really 'less is more'....

It's simple math, calories in vs calories out.

If you burn 500 calories in 10 minutes vs burning 400 in 30 minutes then you will see better results from the 10 minutes.
    But if you burn 500 calories in 10 minutes, then keep that going (assuming you can't hold that pace) at 300 calories for another 10 minutes you will definitely see more calories than the 10 minutes alone.

It's about knowing how to exercise and putting effort in, rather than half-arsed effort over a longer period of time.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    I do think that the simple equation calories in vs calories out is partially correct, however, it also depends on what type of calories you are putting into your body. I'm pretty sure it goes dieting/healthy lifestyle is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Therefore, you can't expect to eat unhealthy and over your calories just to think "I'm going to burn this off with a 2 hour cardio session".

It doesn't work like that. We would all like to believe it's simple, but it's not. Our bodies are complicated, and the equation of calories in vs calories out is simply a guideline, but set in stone for everyone.