Workouts and Multiple Sclerosis

Options
Hello all :wink:

I am trying to loose 100lbs... SW 230 and that is where I am now. I have been having problems with working out since my diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis in 2010. My meds make me bloated, I have to be careful not to get over heated or it causes exacerbations and attacks. I am working with my Wii Fit and doing 10 - 15 minute sessions 2 times a day, but I want to maximize what I can do. Any recomendations???

Thank you!

Replies

• Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I also have MS and I find for exercise the elliptical works best for me. Not much impact if any. I make sure to have funs going on me because I can't get to overheated!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I've actually had more issues with the MS this past year or so than I ever have. I'm just a stubborn fool and push through the pain and crap...but, that's me.

As for the heat issues, I workout in my home. I crank the AC down to 68 (normally set about 71-72) and I have 3 fans going on me all at once.
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I put 2 fans on me and it helped Sooooo much. I made it through 20 minutes before colapsing. We are house shopping and I am going to make sure our next place has AC, right now it is only in our bedrooms (the window kind). Thank you Ladies!

Kelika71 - I have been doing the push through stuff but got scolded at my last doc's visit. Apparently I am causing attacks because even though I'm on full dose of Beta I've have new and highlighted leasons. Soooooo, as he said "You eat better and stop pushing the exercise so much" But Darn it I want this chub gone so exercise a little at a time I MUST!
  • dannidomer
    dannidomer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey girl - I agree that AC and fans definitely help. I like to do DVD workouts in my lower level which is usually in the high 60's. I'm doing Slim in 6 right now. Since my diagnosis in 2007, I lost a lot of strength. I used to be so strong! So, I am trying to build my strength back with body resistance and strength training. I also really like Spinning classes....essentially stationary cylcing indoors with AC and fans...you can control how hard you push yourself. AND, I love to swim laps.

Hope that helps!
  • rylie7122
    rylie7122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 71. Have had MS for 30+ years. I walk around the house, as briskly as possible, for 10 min at a time. Work in the garden early, for no more than 45 min, before it gets warm. Where a cooling wrap on my neck. Tread mil for 10 min at a time when able, no more than 1.4 mph. Slow but moving.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    rylie7122 wrote: »
    I am 71. Have had MS for 30+ years. I walk around the house, as briskly as possible, for 10 min at a time. Work in the garden early, for no more than 45 min, before it gets warm. Where a cooling wrap on my neck. Tread mil for 10 min at a time when able, no more than 1.4 mph. Slow but moving.
    Great to hear you’re keeping active with MS but this post is 11 years old. I doubt the original poster is still around!