Running with two different goals in mind

Options
Question about running

I have two goals: to lose weight and get in shape and also to be able to run distance (5Ks, 10ks and eventually the Army 10 Miler).

So my question is this: I keep reading conflicting info about how it's best to run intervals or short uphill sprints if you want to lose weight and condition yourself.

However, if I do that, I feel like I'm not really training my body to run DISTANCE. As it stands right now, I'm a super fast sprinter but I can't hang when it comes to distance.

Does it really even matter? Should I just be running for distance if I have those long range goals in mind and assume that the cardio from that will help with the pounds? Thoughts?

Replies

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Distance sure helped me! I am not, nor will I ever be, fast. But I can go for miles! A running program that I personally love is the Galloway method. There are others, but his book was easiest for me to read and follow.

Good luck on your runs!

See you at the finish line :bigsmile:
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i do a combination of both - some days short intensives some days longer runs
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps shed weight. Period. Sprints or intervals may burn more calories, but running for distance will as well. It is best to mix it up with some hills (likely to be hills in your races) and some speedwork (it does make you stronger and improve your general running form) but you need long, slow distance runs as well to build up endurance and meet your distance goals.

A long slow run still burns calories and will help you lose weight- it just takes longer to do than a series of short, fast sprints.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps shed weight. Period. Sprints or intervals may burn more calories, but running for distance will as well. It is best to mix it up with some hills (likely to be hills in your races) and some speedwork (it does make you stronger and improve your general running form) but you need long, slow distance runs as well to build up endurance and meet your distance goals.

A long slow run still burns calories and will help you lose weight- it just takes longer to do than a series of short, fast sprints.

Thanks for the advice. What you said totally makes sense!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Distance, distance, distance.

I come from a sprinting back ground, I can do speed work & hills all day long, but that never helped me to become a better distance runner as putting in the miles did.

You can still do a speed or hill workout to change it up now and then, but I would really reccomend going with tempo runs & long endurance building runs.