Weight-training Ladies

Options
symegeer
symegeer Posts: 143 Member
Hi there,

I've recently had some former schoolmates who have really transformed themselves with (drug-free) weight training and look completely amazing now - it's been very inspiring to see, and they're so much stronger and healthier. Are there any other ladies on here who do relatively heavy lifting? I'm interested in trying a beginner programme and would be interested in getting advice from anyone who has done the same. Thanks!

Replies

• bootoou
    bootoou Posts: 22
    Options
    I have been doing Kettlebells and really love it. combo of weight training and cardio together burns tons of calories and doesn't feel like you are "lifting weights"
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love lifting!! I don't lift to to heavy b/c I started having wrist problems when I did. But check out the Body For Life program, my sister swears on it... and also, look up workouts by Jamie Eason. She is my favorite Fitness Model and very inspiring!
    Also, the Oxygen magazine is a great resource for ideas on different lifting moves.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I lift... and I am constantly trying to lift heavier. If you want to get toned, you have to lift. Don't worry, you don't produce enough testosterone to get huge!

I suggest getting with a trainer or a friend who knows how to lift properly to learn technique and to have a spotter. My weight training includes squats (and over head squats); power cleans; bench press; clean and jerk; thrusters; and then I do a lot of work with heavy kettlebells.
  • Whitneylol
    Whitneylol Posts: 244
    Options
    I have no advice but had the exact question- I want to lift but have NO idea where to start! Thanks for posting this, I look forward to the replies :)
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    I began lifting weights about 6 weeks ago and although I haven't seen the reduction in weight that I'm wanting, my clothes are all loose and I can see definition in some of my muscles so, that's a good start! I highly recomend it because it makes me feel sooo much stronger! However, don't forget the cardio if you're looking for lbs lost!
  • azkrea
    azkrea Posts: 3
    Options
    not heavy weightl lifting but strength training with weights I meet with a personal trainer twice a week. And with very simple exercises works out every muscle group in my body. On the other days I just do cardio. It is an easy routine to work into my lifestyle. And I HATE to exercise. But in all reality the only true way to lose weight and keep it off is changing your diet to a healthy lifestyle, that is why this website helps, it is important to log all your food so you really know exactly how many calories you put into your mouth each day and knowing what exercises burn calories. I have only been on here a week but i can tell you this is exactly what I need to help me lose weight and get fit.

This place holds you accountable to more than just yourself.

Good luck and whatever you choose to do, get your body moving that is important.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I do. I love it. It feels great to be getting stronger with every workout. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but had the exact question- I want to lift but have NO idea where to start! Thanks for posting this, I look forward to the replies :)

Your best bet is to work with a trainer at first who can help show you the proper way to lift and give you a good feel for where to begin weightwise.
  • TWEETIE19
    TWEETIE19 Posts: 54
    Options
    I lift....It makes me feel very strong and healthy and I luv it. Good Luck.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi symegeer,
    I used to be a personal trainer and also had transformed my body with weight training. I have since had a baby so I know I have to slowly get back. Before you start any heavy lifting i would recommend that you address any muscle imbalances first and slowly get your body used to heavy weights. You could see a personal trainer for an assessment. They should be able to tell where you are tight, weak, etc. just by watching you do a squat as if you were lowering yourself down onto a chair. Depending on what they find, you'll want to stretch out any tight areas. If you go straight into heavy lifting, you can make imbalances worse which could just throw off your hips, knees, ankles, you name it. Also, if you don't ease your muscles, tendons, and ligaments into the heavy weight, you could cause more tightness and soreness, and possibly really hurt yourself. So, basically, my suggestion is to go slow and progress as your body is ready to. Good luck! It really does work!
  • Maria127lbs
    Options
    I began focusing on gaining muscle back in December of last year, the workouts in muscle and fitness magazine have been very useful, though very intimidating at first.
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    I am going to start this program in September:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I can't wait and would start earlier, but I am moving around a lot this summer so won't have regular access to a gym.
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think starting with a personal trainer sounds like a good plan. I used to weight train as a teenager when I was on the rowing team but haven't done much since. I do have some weaknesses, including a weak ankle and iliotibial band issues due to running. I'm pretty excited though, I always loved it when I was younger - made me feel so much stronger, I'm sick of feeling squidgy at the moment!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree that a trainer is a really good starting point. I have one that I have been seeing twice a month since January. In that time I have gained muscle, lost weight and look so much better then I did. I take what he has me do and turn it into my own little weight routine.. and if I feel like I'm doing something right, then I can always ask.