Hips

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
I have an issue with my hips going out and causing a great deal of pain. There is really not much I can do other than be very care. Surgery would be a solution perhaps but not one I relish the thought and maybe in the future I will be forced to do that but at this point I don't consider that an option.

I would like to find some exercises that will strengthen the muscles that are around my hips. I hope that if I do this that I will have less problems.

Anyone else out there with these issues or have a suggestion.

This is not new to me and I have tried most of the leg lift exercises I am aware of from floor, knees and standing up.

Replies

• Eve23
    Options
    I have an issue with my hips going out and causing a great deal of pain. There is really not much I can do other than be very care. Surgery would be a solution perhaps but not one I relish the thought and maybe in the future I will be forced to do that but at this point I don't consider that an option.

I would like to find some exercises that will strengthen the muscles that are around my hips. I hope that if I do this that I will have less problems.

Anyone else out there with these issues or have a suggestion.

This is not new to me and I have tried most of the leg lift exercises I am aware of from floor, knees and standing up.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    have u tried toning tables? they are pretty easy on the body and u dont do any of the work, the tables does it for u!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Light work on a stationary bike strengthens the hip flexors and surrounding muscles.

Also, some yoga would help to gently stretch and strengthen.:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Have you had children recently or close together? I know this sounds strange but it can take about 18 months or so for your hips to get back to normal after childbirth and this can cause abnormal hip pain during exercise.

Otherwise, if you are really overweight and are starting exercise for the first time this can also cause hip pain from new movement, the same way some people get knee or back pain.

If these aren't the case I would recommend going to your doctor because unexplained hip pain can be signs of some female related illnesses and you would want to discuss the issues with your doctor before you end up in worse pain. Your doctor can help you with suggestions on exercises or therapies to help ease the pain if it is not health related!
  • Eve23
    Options
    I haven't gotten a stationary bike although I would like one so I will keep looking for one in my price range. Not sure if I have ever seen a toning table. I do all my workouts at home at this point or outdoors.

I have 3 kids but my youngest is 6 so I am not sure if that is it. But I have had problems with my hips since I was in highschool. The cause is from scoliosis that has been one of my challenges for many years. My general exercises are walking and working up to a light jog, generally in short bursts at this point. But I would like to strengthen the areas of my hips.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well at least you know the cause and probably what your alternatives are for exercise. I looked up exercise for scoliosis and they seem to recommend a lot of yoga stretching and mild cardio. You might want to just search the net a bit and get some general ideas for your specific area of need.
  • fitzio1015
    Options
    when i was 13 i broke my pelvis playing softball...still to this day i have problems. as far as exercise goes i can't do like kick boxing or anything like that it just gets me all out of whack. i jog and biking . but the more weight i lose the better my hip feels so i am looking foward to getting some pounds off who knows maybe kick boxers is in my future...it might for you also.,..
  • Eve23
    Options
    Weight probably does have a factor but truthfully it is not that different from when I was younger. That being said I have learned how to live with it but being here has made me want to help the areas that are weak become stronger without hurting myself.

Glad to hear from so many of you. It does help.