"Muscle building" protein shakes help to LOSE weight?

Options
I bought this whey protein shake mix because it looked like it had the same things in the other protein shakes mixes I was looking for...Low carbs, high protein. However, this stuff promotes that I will gain muscle and it's not to be used for losing weight. But hey, with low carbs and high protein, I thought it could work..Can anyone clarify this for me?

Replies

• meganelizabetho
    Options
    High protien and low carbs is going to help you gain muscle, which may seem like gaining weight, because it's heavier than fat, but the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn on a daily basis, and hense you're promoting fat loss.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Bump - I had the same question. Bought mine because I needed more protein in my diet.

BUT I got mine last week and have already lost close to 2 lbs since drinking it (and other stuff - working out, etc)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It all depends on your total daily caloric intake/output.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Protein is NOT going to make you "gain weight" by itself, unless you are consuming more than your daily calories.
    Protein is just another form of energy. In fact, protein is actually HARDER for your body to break down, so you actually burn ~30% of the calorie value of protein just digesting it.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Protein is simply great, no matter what. It will make you feel more full, feed your muscles and you will not crave so much sweet stuff (in my experience!). So it makes you feel less hungry and gives your body fuel. Also its very hard to gain muscle just with normal and classic training, so dont be afraid and be happy you are feeding yourself the right stuff and exercising!:)
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle by adding protien to your diet and lifting weights. Your muscle at rest is your metabolism - so even if you are building muscle, not weighing less - your metabloism is burning fat. Does that make sense?

So it's not a bad thing at all (imho) to get a protien shake that helps with muscle building.
  • Avalonis
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It all depends on your total daily caloric intake/output.

Wrong, muscle DOES weight more than fat. cubic foot of fat vs 1 cubic foot of muscle isn't even a comparison.

But yes, drinking protein by itself isn't going to cause you to gain massive muscles. It's not that easy ;)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think you have to look at overall calories, of course but I think getting more protein helps with dieting-feel full longer and less cravings, I try to get 100 grams per day but it is hard.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Most will tell you in the directions that if you use one scoop after a work out it'll help repair the muscles, if you use 2 it will help you bulk up.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's marketing "hype" ... building muscle won't happen just from drinking protein it takes serious effort. Drink up and enjoy.
    I just got whey powder that I can add to my oatmeal, pancakes, omelets, smoothies etc so I could get closer to my actual protein goal number.

And for the "muscle weighs more"... depends on your comparison. A pound of fat is the SAME weight as a pound of fat... a pound. But in density, yeah if you take a 1" cube of each the protein will weigh more.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    protein=protein.

it's all marketing.

now the acutal "gainers" are high fat and carbs and you use 4+scoops of it so you are taking in 700+ calories at once.

example:
    we have a shake at work.
    in the body building section it's "Lean Muscle Meal" in the diet it's "Total Lean"
    100% same product. they changed the diet chocolate name to something girl-y.

people will not buy the bb ones cause they say "gain muscle" where the diet ones say something about losing weight.

if a body builder eats chicken to build muscle, does that mean you won't cause you're trying to lose?

if you drink shakes, but still go over in calories, you will gain.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    also,
    women can't "bulk" up like men unless they train UBER hard for a long time and/or take test boosters.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Ok seriously a pound is a pound period! Muscle is denser then fat so a pound af fat is BIGGER then a pound of muscle hence why BMI doesn't work for people who have a high amount of muscle.

Protein shakes are good for weightloss because they have a good balance of protein and other nutrients while being low in carbs, those trying to bulk up typically drink these in addition to a high protein meal plan not as a meal replacement (I said typically not all) however when used as a meal or snack replacement they can promote weightloss
  • Atthea
    Atthea Posts: 53
    Options
    Post Workout Shakes? Not If Fat Loss is Your Goal!

Insulin is Antagonistic to HGH
    When you are trying to lose body fat, you want to avoid insulin spikes. When your insulin level is high, you will stop your body's ability to burn body fat. Although I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet, it works because it ensures that insulin levels are kept low at all times. Again, maintaining low levels of insulin is a big key to getting ultra-lean. I like keeping insulin levels low by eating protein, healthy fats, and vegetables together.

What to do Instead?
    I recommend waiting an hour after working out before eating. If you are really serious about weight loss, then eat a balanced meal with protein, fat and a lot of vegetables. I used to allow myself to eat "loose" after working out, but this small adjustment to a clean meal has made fat loss easier than ever. Another benefit that whole food has over shakes is the added thermogenic effect of food.

---
    source: Fitnessblackbook.com
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Wrong, muscle DOES weight more than fat. cubic foot of fat vs 1 cubic foot of muscle isn't even a comparison.

But yes, drinking protein by itself isn't going to cause you to gain massive muscles. It's not that easy ;)

Sorry but you're wrong. 1lb. fat is the same weight as 1lb. of muscle. You're talking mass.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Protein will help for muscles to recover. The only way to build muscles, is to work them out by lifting weights, etc. The extra calories in the protein powder or whatever will make you gain weight (not muscles) if you are over your calorie limit. Then....like anything in excess, it will be stored as fat.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Pounds and cubic feet are not comparable measures. NO, it does not weigh more, 1 lb of bricks and 1lb of feathers is the same there are just more feathers.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    muscle is more DENSE than fat. IT DOES NOT WEIGH MORE.

A cubic foot of fat vs a cubic ft of muscle will weigh less not because "muscle weighs more than fat" but because the DENSITY, which is a measurement of mass over volume, of muscle is more than fat.

100 grams of muscle=100 grams of fat
    but 100 grams of muscle might be 1 cubic centimeter and 100 grams of fat might be 10 cubic centimeters...Volume and weight are not the same thing.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

^ What he said.

You have to remember that to add appreciable mass you have to eat HUGE. One Nutritionist I like to follow is Dr. Berardi and he wrote an article a few years back called, "Massive Eating." I'd have to recalculate it for my current stats but at the time I was eating in the neighborhood of 4,000 calories a day to try and muscle mass. Eating at a small calorie deficit for healthy weight loss will not promote appreciable mass gains, although you may gain a little, but mostly strength and improvement in body composition.
  • Avalonis
    Options

Sorry but you're wrong. 1lb. fat is the same weight as 1lb. of muscle. You're talking mass.

Did you even read my post? See the BOLDED above.

** EDIT ** you can't bold on this forum. Damn. Read the part that says "cubic foot of fat vs 1 cubic foot of muscle isn't even a comparison"