Need help with my Polar HRM

Options
I have a Polar HRM and I am having an issue with it...the last few days when I have tried to use it it says that my HR is in the 200's but when I take my pulse myself it is normal range...it hasn't done this before and I have no idea where the manual for it is (have had it for 5+ yrs)...any suggestions?

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Maybe the battery's dying?
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Change the battery? Clean the sensors?
  • mkropp
    mkropp Posts: 1
    Options
    Is it a chest strap HRM? If so, you may want to check the battery. As it goes bad, the HRM can give out misreadings.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello :) When mine started doing this I took the monitor off the strap and gave the strap a really good rinse in cold water. I rinse it after each use but my personal trainer said you have to give it a really good rinse every month or so to make sure you remove all the salts that deposit in the sensors when you sweat a lot. Never use soaps or detergent on the strap. When I re-attached it the problem seemed to resolve itself. Of course it could be something entirely unrelated but I thought I'd suggest this in case you haven't tried it already.

Of course it could also be that the battery is running out and making it read incorrectly :) Hope you manage to get it fixed!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Hello :) When mine started doing this I took the monitor off the strap and gave the strap a really good rinse in cold water. I rinse it after each use but my personal trainer said you have to give it a really good rinse every month or so to make sure you remove all the salts that deposit in the sensors when you sweat a lot. Never use soaps or detergent on the strap. When I re-attached it the problem seemed to resolve itself. Of course it could be something entirely unrelated but I thought I'd suggest this in case you haven't tried it already.

Of course it could also be that the battery is running out and making it read incorrectly :) Hope you manage to get it fixed!!

This is partially right.. you can throw the strap in the washing machine if you like with detergent ONLY.. No fabric softener and line dry.. don't throw it in the dryer!

Also it could be the battery... but after 5 yr.'s of it working correctly, you must have changed it at least once by now..
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Which model Polar do you have ?

Don't know if this will help you out any.........here is a link to Polar user manuals that you can open through Adobe reader.

I have a FT40 that I bought recently and in the manual it says to make sure that the chest strap is wet to make contact when using it.

This is direct from my manual:
    Rinse the strap under running water after every use. It says to wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at
    40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the
    transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak, spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put the transmitter connector in the washing machine or drier!