Let's Talk Bicycle Gear

Options
I've got a bike and it's got a pannier rack on the back. My cycling at the moment is recreational (no commuting or grocery shopping). I'm looking for pannier bags/baskets, a cooler bag or grocery bags that will allow me to carry all the junk that goes along with biking with my kids. Our bike rides so far have been a few hours long and snacks were needed but we did take an all day ride where we packed a lunch. The small cooler I had strapped to my bike just didn't cut it for a family of six!

So do any of you have bags that you love? Features that you feel are necessary? Features that you hate and would never, ever get again in a bag? I'm not looking to spend $200 of a set of bags but I would like something I'm not going to have to replace in 5 minutes. I live in the PNW so weather could at some point be a factor though our family recreational rides are not likely to be done in a downpour! Oh, I will be biking to my Taekwondo class but I figure whatever type of bag I get I can stuff my uniform into that.

One note, I DO NOT want to wear a backpack while biking! I really dislike the idea and much prefer bags attached to my bike. Please help! I'm overwhelmed with the choices!

Replies

• anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I actually still have my Burley trailer from when my kids were little. It holds about 6 filled grocery bags! It would fit a pretty big cooler no problem, but I don't know if I would want to pull something that heavy. lol! A benefit of the trailer is the cars really go wide when they think you are pulling a baby.
  • giftedcat
    giftedcat Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a pannier bag that I bought from Argos (uk) & its fab. I carry all of my gym gear, plus any shopping I need. Plus it has come in handy on bike rides with my Family (for picnics & juice)
  • alligatorsmile
    Options
    I was so scared yesterday while riding my bicycle, someone honked RIGHT BEHIND ME!! for no apparent reason - actually it happens a lot where I ride (South Houston near Hobby Airport). I don't know if people are just obnoxious and like to scare the living *kitten* out of people on a bike, but I wonder if I had one of those bag packs that you can put a baby in there, would they honk so freaking much if they thought I had a baby??!!
  • alligatorsmile
    Options
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    I want info on bicycle seats... my rear is a bit bruised but I love my bike.

I have a very tiny budget. so if u can suggest brands or what kind of things to look for, it would be helpful
  • giftedcat
    giftedcat Posts: 11
    Options
    I bought a gel seat for my seat & it's sooo much better. Was really cheap too & just fits over the top of the saddle.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was so scared yesterday while riding my bicycle, someone honked RIGHT BEHIND ME!! for no apparent reason - actually it happens a lot where I ride (South Houston near Hobby Airport). I don't know if people are just obnoxious and like to scare the living *kitten* out of people on a bike, but I wonder if I had one of those bag packs that you can put a baby in there, would they honk so freaking much if they thought I had a baby??!!

That has happened to me too. Scared the piss out of me. Road rage is a bad thing. Be safe.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've seen that cargo box and thought about it but you have to buy the box and the net separately. I'm still unsure because at least with a bag my stuff would be inside. There is also the fact that with a bag the weight is lower and on either side of the tires. The basket puts the weight up higher and depending on how much stuff I'm carrying I don't want it to throw off my balance. I'm a little "graceful" as it is! ;)

Kayte, I need a new seat or a cover too! My tush is tender today after 1.5 hours riding yesterday! My husband has a memory foam seat that he's liking a lot. We bought my son a bike off craigslist that came with a really nice seat that all of us are coveting. I need to see what the brand is and see if I can find it anywhere. Those gel covers look nice too. How do they feel after a long ride?

One thing I insisted on (and I'm glad I did!) was a bike pump that attaches to the frame. I really did not like the thought of being miles down the road and getting a flat. The first family ride out my youngest's bike needed pumping up! Just need to get a patch kit now. I also carry a little first aid kit and with four kids mine includes an instant ice pack.

I haven't done regularly biking (with or without kids) in years so I think that's all the tricks I've got. :)
  • ambreee
    ambreee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have had a few sets of paniers. I like the ones that have a few external pockets making it handy to get to my keys, wallet ect. I also use a bike trailer to get groceries, very helpful (of coarse when the kids aren't tagging along).

My bike bags are old, so I don't really have a recommendation with brand, and I found some of them at a garage sale. I believe I got my first set at REI.

When it comes to seats, my cruiser has a big cushy seat, which is fine for short leasurly rides. But I really prefer the seat on my road bike. It took a little time to get used to, but I was able to go on a 125 mile(split up in a couple of days) ride down the Oregon coast with out much uncomfort. It is the type of seat designed for women that is slender and has a hole in the center. Looks uncomfortable, but is awesome because it doesn't restrict blood flow. I purchased it from a local bike shop for around $40.