I DONT LIKE diet food

Options
2»

Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I often prefer a smaller portion of "regular" food than the diet alternative, in cheese for example, I would generally prefer to use a smaller amount of regular cheese than the low or fat free version. I do find, however, the longer I am on this journey, the more I prefer fresh fruits, vegetables etc. so that I do have things that are healthy that bulk up my diet.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet food either. Lately, I've been making my own soups to bring for lunch. I make a pot on Sunday and have it 3 or 4 days, until I'm ready for a change. Many soups and stews are filling, have vegetables and are tasty. I make split pea and ham, lentil, minestrone, vegetable beef, and french onion soups. My daughter makes soup and freezes portions so she can have more variety. I also make a pot of spaghetti sauce and freeze half of it.

Yum, I hope to see some of your soup receipes in posted in the receipe section soon.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ya, I make switches I can live with. Greek yogurt works most of the time but sometimes you just gotta use the real thing. Or I do with less like with real butter. Or just go ahead and eat real tortilla chips because baked chips of any flavor are no tasty. I did find a great bread from a co-op group. It's real whole wheat for only 52 calories and tastes really meaty yet light. If I had the recipe I would give it to you. They have Bountiful Baskets in Texas! But you have to buy one basket of mixed fruits and vegetables to get bread. I am freezing mine. A good friend of mine does not eat diet food either, just less of the real thing. She is skinny. So, do what you are doing a feel good about it. Keep eating what you will eat for a life-time.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great thing that you know what you like and what you don't! You will definitely stick with it if you can find a way to eat the foods you enjoy...whole foods :) So since your sandwiches are 300 calories and up just have one once in a while...or have a half of a sandwich and a big salad! I appreciate your honesty and I feel the same way about "diet" food.
    Good Luck!!! :smile:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I agree! Part of my "diet" has been cutting out all things processed. It saves my family money and it makes me feel good. Everything around here, is fresh, healthy, and if I could not make it in my own kitchen then I refuse to buy it either. I mean things like butter, ice cream, yogurt, bread, pasta. Some of these items I purchase for convenience, but things like bread and pasta and yogurt, we just do at home. I feel like the more natural the better and my husband has lost 30 and me 10lbs since Christmas. So we are slow but steady. You can totally lose weight without "diet" foods that is what this site is for, to help you eat them in the right serving sizes and combos!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree I would much rather have a small amount of real butter, olive oil, sugar, bread etc than a large amount of something artificial or processed. Plus you basically live off the land and nothing can be healthier than that!!
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've had similar realizations. :blushing: But I think it's fine though. We just enjoy the little extras, and as you say we just have to fill up on more greens and such (not a bad trade I think).
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. I just eat what I like (whole milk) and such but lower quantities.This for me is about lifestyle change and moderation, I do not want to have diet food get to my goal weight and then go back to what I used to have.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I bake my own bread that I like to toast and smear with real butter. In fact, that was breakfast this morning. I refuse to eat a bunch of low cal prepackaged diet "foods." In fact, I am making homemade pizza tonight (even made the dough myself). I eat moderate portions of foods I like and try to include as many whole grains and vegetables as I can.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    Sounds like you need to come over to the Primal lifestyle- All WHOLE foods that include, and not limited to grassfed meats, fish, eggs, all the veggies you can eat, whole dairy (which isn't exactly primal approved, but can be included on my 20% cheat foods), nuts, berries. On the downside, I don't eat grains, sugar, or legumes.

I've lost 8% body fat (about 21 lbs) without losing any weight. It is awesome because I am never hungry!

Just something to think about....