Replies

• rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share this with everyone http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    wow! Chlorine! of all things....so what sweetener can we use that isn't harmful?
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share this with everyone http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/
    They counter this with this:

http://www.splendatruth.com/page.jhtml?id=splendatruth/include/splenda_faqs.inc

So who knows what's the truth. Personally I try to stick with what nature proves, and nature doesn't provide white sugar either, so I use fruit.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I like to use agave nectar, raw cane sugar or pure maple syrup. Stuff that is natural - but remember, just because something is natural, doesn't mean it is necessarily nutritionally healthy for you! Sugar is still sugar, and should be used sparingly. All in moderation :wink:
  • Javancub
    Options
    my other half is a diabetic. He uses splenda instead of sugar because of the diabetes, so what can you do?? is there anything out there that isn't harmful? i'm trying to browse the internet for something, but if anyone knows of anything let me know. Thanks.
  • kkcruickshank
    kkcruickshank Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agave syrup is made from agave cactus and is lower on the glycemic index than other sugars. I know several diabetics who use it.

The best part is, agave doesn't really taste any different than honey :smile:

Also, if you're feeling adventurous there's brown rice syrup.
  • Javancub
    Options
    Thank you very much!! Would i be able to find that at the grocery store or a health foods store?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen brown rice syrup, but I buy agave nectar from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods - I'm thinking you should be able to find it at Safeway, Bel Aire (I don't know about Super Wal-Mart). It'll be in the organic aisle :wink:
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you can still use saccharin. and there are some places that use mung bean.

but stay away from aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame potassium. those 3 are the most dangerous.

did you know that aspartame (the blue one) breaks down to formaldehyde at 86 degrees F. our bodies are 98.6. by that logic, the moment it touches your tongue, its already broken down.

and with sucralose, they replace 2 of the molecules in sugar with chlorine.

i dont know about you, but i dont want to ingest embalming fluid OR pool water. there is NO way it can be good for you.

and here's a good site, too http://sweetpoison.com/
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :huh: bump for later reading:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    oh well, sumpin's gonna kill me. :frown:

:flowerforyou:
  • sasfas79
    Options
    Just keep in mind that sugar is nothing but empty calories...it jusy converts to fat and decays your teeth if not rinsed away. Splenda and the like stuff just will keep you needing to eat something sweet. How about something good for you like a piece of fruit?
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Agave nectar and stevia are great, especially stevia for diabetics. You can get both in your local health food store.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Agave syrup is made from agave cactus and is lower on the glycemic index than other sugars. I know several diabetics who use it.

The best part is, agave doesn't really taste any different than honey :smile:

Also, if you're feeling adventurous there's brown rice syrup.

I've used Agave Nectar for years. I personally don't like to use it to flavor coffee and such. But it is a great topping with peanut butter on toast or for pancakes. Yes, anywhere you'd use honey. It is just not as sweet so you tend to have to use more and it is a little more pricey.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Everything is something people. It's the amounts that are dangerous.

Chlorine? not dangerous in small doses, so don't consume 5 splenda packets at once and you will be fine, There's chlorine in lots of stuff including drinking water in the US (and your activated carbon water filter only removes some of it)

Formaldehyde? It's used in TONS of products that we ingest and use every day. The human body even produces and circulates a small amount of it on it's own. It's not dangerous as long as you don't overdo it.

This is one area I'm very familiar with, I was a college chemical engineering major for 3 and 1/2 years before I swapped over to computer science my senior year (the math, I hated the math, the chemistry was kinda fun!).

Heck, I can name you dozens of poisons we ingest daily in our food (yes, even the farm raised, natural stuff) in small amounts, that why we have a liver people, I'd be more worried about the bacteria on your kitchen counter then the formaldehyde or chlorine in your sweetener . You are much more likely to get e-coli from that then you are to get cancer from splenda.

I'm not saying turn a blind eye, to the contrary, I commend everyone for wanting to know, just make sure you view this stuff with some skeptecism, not every report is the doomsday they try to make it out to be.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Everything is something people. It's the amounts that are dangerous.

Chlorine? not dangerous in small doses, so don't consume 5 splenda packets at once and you will be fine, There's chlorine in lots of stuff including drinking water in the US (and your activated carbon water filter only removes some of it)

Formaldehyde? It's used in TONS of products that we ingest and use every day. The human body even produces and circulates a small amount of it on it's own. It's not dangerous as long as you don't overdo it.

This is one area I'm very familiar with, I was a college chemical engineering major for 3 and 1/2 years before I swapped over to computer science my senior year (the math, I hated the math, the chemistry was kinda fun!).

Heck, I can name you dozens of poisons we ingest daily in our food (yes, even the farm raised, natural stuff) in small amounts, that why we have a liver people, I'd be more worried about the bacteria on your kitchen counter then the formaldehyde or chlorine in your sweetener . You are much more likely to get e-coli from that then you are to get cancer from splenda.

I'm not saying turn a blind eye, to the contrary, I commend everyone for wanting to know, just make sure you view this stuff with some skeptecism, not every report is the doomsday they try to make it out to be.

I second that! Besides, saying Splenda is MADE from chlorine is not saying it IS chlorine. Changing something at the molecular level creates changes in how it reacts with other substances. Saying you're drinking pool water or embalming fluid is like saying you're drinking gasoline when you have a beer. Yes, they both contain ethanol. No, they are not the same thing.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Stevia.

All natural. Comes in packets and liquid.

Me, I use Splenda in the very few things I ingest on a daily basis. If I stopped to worry about every little thing that might hurt me, I'd die living in a bubble. I say LIVE LIFE.

As far as Splenda causing you to want more sugar, I say "WHo's in control, you, or Splenda?"

I can have a packet of Splenda in a cup of coffee in the morning, and it won't make me eat a peice of Birthday cake right after. Chances are, I'll have a peice of fruit sometime during the day, but did the Splenda cause me to have a peice of chocolate later that same day? The answer is no.
  • richardwelch
    Options
    Third this. Go Banks.

I don't know what these people who make these websites and spread this information are gaining from it, but it just seems silly.

Saccharine was the devil 20 years ago. I'm sure that there was something out there before that... the media has to keep themselves employed, I guess:wink:
  • fuzzsmom
    fuzzsmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    stevia was recommended to my mom after she had gastric bypass surgery and i think a lot of diabetics use it as well, don't know if it breaks down into something bad either or what its made from