RUNNING...........What's the deal?

Replies

• kchris41
    kchris41 Posts: 38 Member
    I love running! I'm 50 and started 4 years ago with Cto5K program, too. I had to do many of the weeks over and over. Go slow and you'll be OK. I'm doing 2 miles right now. :)
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    I was not a runner and recently finished the C25K program. Like previous posters stated, I think that would be a great way to start out. It conditions your body at a good pace and you can repeat days/weeks if you feel you're still not ready for the next level. I wasn't sure about it, but I have come to really LOVE running! I say go for it!! Start slow and ease into it w/something like the C25K (I highly recommend it), and you should be fine. It's when you start out doing too much too soon that you get discouraged or injured. Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this is funny
    Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    you have to just go out and do it! and - fyi - every other runner is just as self conscious as you. Any and all injuries, discomfort, ridiculous increase in laundry expenses is 110% worth it. i swear.

I also just started running one day, for no reason. I was wearing cotton leggings and chuck taylors. SERIOUSLY. if you can do better than that, you are already a step ahead of where i was, haha.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    I have never been a runner - always the fat girl finishing last in gym class. But, I love a challenge, so I started the couch to 5K program. I'm at week 6. At first, I looked at my last day of week 5 and laughed that it wanted me to run for 20 minutes. Uh, yeah, that's 20 minutes straight. Guess what? This fat girl who always finished last did 20 straight minutes of running.

Yes, I go super slow, and I'm sure that others can run laps around me, but I love turtles and consider myself a turtle in this race. C25K is great because you do it slowly and it becomes exciting.

Running is great because you can see a whole new world if you do it outside. And, yes, I was exactly like you. The kids used to get mad at me for being last, they'd laugh and everyone would be watching me in gym class - wouldn't people be watching and laughing at me when I ran in public at 30 years old? I thought yes, but the answer was no. Other people who are outdoors running or biking or whatever are just like you, they're out there to get some fresh air and be healthy. They're not there to watch you run. I sometimes see the people who are running with their toned legs and I become self conscious. That fades though. You'll never know until you try.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    As I sit here with shin splints I will tell you that running is one of my favorite exercises. When you have a good run it's feels so freeing, like your legs could take you anywhere! Try it - you just might love it!
    I agree!! You have those bad days or those injuries that you endure but one good run and the bad fades away! I love running!!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Studies are actually showing that running is actually good for your bones and joints. It strengthens them. The people that end up with knee and other joint troubles often reported having some troubles BEFORE they started running. Running can be harsh on the body, but it if done smartly, the body can recover. It can exascerbate existing problems though.

Other injuries and problems happen from overuse or improper footwear.

Running is actually known to help decrease the chance of osteoporosis.

And, I may be damning my sport by saying this, but NO ONE NEEDS to be running more than 3 miles 3 times a week. And if you have no other existing issues, that should not come close to hurting your joints or knees. There are just the crazy among us who like to train HARD and FAR! And even then, many of them are still fine.

Most importantly, you have to listen to your body's signals.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I hate running most of the time, I'm not sure why I do it. Usually about 3 minutes in, I start to get tired, my muscles start to burn, my shins start to ache, it gets hard to breathe, I get side stitches, blisters, chaffing, etc, all of the joy that I experience exercising outside gets overshadowed by all the pain and discomfort I experience most of the time.

The thing about me though, I don't like things that I can't do a lot. I've ran 5Ks, they're not that hard, pretty much anybody can do it after training for a couple months. Races are fun but I get tired of losing. But once I try to increase my mileage and push myself I just get injured. I've tried all kinds of shoes and have messed around with my stride and form.

I've been running for years, and it's never gotten that much easier. I can't do it all year round because of the snow usually, and during the winter I almost always lose what little running stamina I gained in the summer. To me, it's a lot like golf. I do it because I feel like I'd love it if I was better at it, but most of the time it's just frustrating.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I agree with the posters who recommend c25k. I actually had to start slower than the program, but I stuck with it and it is totally worth it.

As for running causing joint/knee issues, etc., first, I agree with the others that easing into it slowly and letting the muscles/ligaments/tendons develop without over stressing the body is crucial. When properly done one can run without causing any damage. One reason I run is because it builds bone density. I personally enjoy trail running and find trails to be gentler on the body. I have been running four years and have never had an injury. And, as pure anecdotal evidence, I have three close friends who began road running 35 years ago and two of those friends are still running with no problems. The other one has recently quit running due to unrelated back problems. That is not a scientific study, but it says something to me.

Try out the c25k or c210k programs and see if it appeals to you. If you are even asking the question it is likely that you have the personality to enjoy running. As a PS, I love cycling too. They are great compliments to one another.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    I hated running when I was in high school. HATED IT. Last spring (2010) I decided to try C25K, and since then I've run several 5Ks. I am by far not the fastest person out there, but I also don't finish last. For a woman starting a running program, I recommend the following:

1. Start gradually. If you've never done any serious running before, you need to get your body accustomed to running. C25K is great for this. Feel free to do each week twice if you need to.

2. Get properly fitted for running shoes. Whether you use barefoot-like shoes or highly cushioned trainers, get fitted by someone trained in fitting running shoes. If you live in a larger metro area there is bound to be a couple stores dedicated to runners and walkers. Also, you get what you pay for - if you buy cheap shoes you're going to feel the regrets in your shins/knees/hips. Be prepared to spend about $100 for quality shoes.

3. Get properly fitted for a sports bra, particularly if you are well-endowed. You want a bra that will support the girls and restrict their movement, and one that fits snugly but not too tight. I prefer the Moving Comfort bras that I can find in my local running store. A good sports bra will be as pricey as - if not pricier than - a quality "normal use" bra. I spend about $40 - $45 each for my sports bras. And don't dry them in the dryer - line dry only. (Some will say hand-wash only as well, but I have been fine putting mine in the washer in a lingerie bag on a gentle cycle.)

Good luck! You can do this!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I am not a runner but more of a walker/ runner. I walk and have spirts of running in my routine. I have really started to enjoy it. I like going outdoors a lot better than running on my treadmill though. I normally pull my 2.5 year old behind me in a wagon but he has been sick so tonight is the first night I will be able to go alone (no dogs, no child) and I am really looking forward to it. It is about 95 degrees here so I am really looking forward to sweating and being gross by the time I return!
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    I started running two years ago at age 58! I usually run 6 miles a day six days a week. I have come to love it. Just make sure you get fitted for the right shoes. If I can do it at 60 any one can!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member

If only it was that easy to get rid of a uterus when you are done 'using' it! :)
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    I agree with what the others have said (that I've read) regarding the proper shoes, making sure you get some good stretching in (particularly afterwards), legs will be sore, especially at first. Potassium rich foods will help alleviate that. Go slow b/c shin splints are very painful.

I didn't read all the replies, so I don't know if anyone else commented on the running in public b/c things bounce or jiggle, etc. I pass people who are out running all the time. Most of them are not in super top condition and you know what the first thing is that goes through my head is when I see them? "Way to go!"

I know I'm not alone ... so give it a try ... and let a few total strangers cheer you on without you even knowing! :)
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    I hate running but I love the floaty feeling after I am done.

For over a month, I stuck exclusively to ellipticals and stationary bikes (4-6 times a week, 65 minutes at a time). Then I decided to try the treadmill. I would walk (4.0 mph) for five minutes, run (5.0 - 6.0 mph) for five minutes, alternating like this for 65 minutes total. After two weeks (4-6 times a week), my knees are complete and utter pain. I am walking with a limp and cannot even run to catch the crosswalk signal, let alone run for fitness. I went to the doctor and she said that I strained either my meniscus or my medial collateral ligament and that it will be upwards of four weeks before it's better. She recommended that, if I want to go back to running, that I strengthen my hamstrings and quadriceps because those muscle groups will give the knees more stability.

I have proper running shoes (from a running store, no less!) but they might be worn. I also might have pushed myself too hard too quickly. So basically, I am the poster child of what everyone is saying: get proper shoes and start slooooow.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    My husband talked me into trying the C25K program and a little over a week ago, I ran my first 5K. It was the best feeling to cross that finish line! It's a great calorie burner and stress reliever, I'd say give it a try but like alot of people here say, may sure you've got good shoes!
    Goodluck!
  • hackettkate
    hackettkate Posts: 7 Member
    I "ralk". Run until I get tired of it, walk a while, run when I have my breath...
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Make sure you have AMAZING shoes! Get properly fitted. I just started running a couple of months ago, after having bad asthma and having NEVER been able to run one full mile. I didn't do C25K, but I did intervals as long as I could stand on the treadmill. Usually, I would do 3 minutes to warm up, then alternate among 2 minutes jogging (5 mph for me), then walking (4 mph), then sometimes sprinting for one minute (at 6 mph). Now, I can run a straight 2 miles (at 5 mph), but not without the help of Lady Gaga's new CD. Music is the best motivator for me.

Good luck!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Bump..I'm interested in the answers.
This discussion has been closed.