How to lose "Belly Fat"!!! (please post your tips!!)

Options
caresshudson
caresshudson Posts: 31 Member
Hey everyone! I'm a mother of 3 girls, and I have a nice workout schedule I have begun. I am interested in knowing what are good belly fat busters! I have a tummy after having the kids and I would like to know how to get rid of the tummy and have a nice flat stomach. Please post your tips on how to lose my tummy!!

Replies

• MicahandMegan
    Options
    Me too!!! I wanna know the flat belly secret
  • oregon_mama
    oregon_mama Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    cardio cardio cardio!!! all the crunches in the world won't do you any good if your fabulous six pack is covered in a layer of fat!!! no exercises for the extra skin that comes with motherhood either =( Once you whittle your middle down with cardio, some great toners are twisting crunches, planks, and reverse crunches ;)
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels' DVD "6-Week Six-Pack". Great ab workout, which also includes a little strength and cardio. I've also been losing weight for the past 4 months by eating foods in the Flat Belly Diet, which includes healthy fats that are supposed to help with belly bloat. So far I've lost 5" off my waist, just trying to really firm it up now.

As far as ab exercises go, I think that bicycle crunches, reverse crunches, and planks are some of the best ones.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels' DVD "6-Week Six-Pack". Great ab workout, which also includes a little strength and cardio. I've also been losing weight for the past 4 months by eating foods in the Flat Belly Diet, which includes healthy fats that are supposed to help with belly bloat. So far I've lost 5" off my waist, just trying to really firm it up now.

As far as ab exercises go, I think that bicycle crunches, reverse crunches, and planks are some of the best ones.
    Tladame,
    Thanks for the tips! would you mind sharing some of those foods? thanks a bunch!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I got some belly fat that I would love to lose. I have started jumping rope. This helps the whole body, especially the flabby fat, LoL.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    It is all about your diet! If you eat foods that don't make your belly bloated then you are headed in the right direction. The next component is to do cardio to help shed any excess fat. The final component is obviously doing work-outs to help strengthen your abs. I would recommend doing tons of planks and exercises that target your core- more than crunches or anything else. Finally, make sure you are doing your exercises with proper form. It is sad to see people day in and out of the gym doing exercises with poor form.

I call it the trifecta: diet, cardio, strength training. There really is no secret!

Hope this helps!!
  • Bristle82
    Bristle82 Posts: 100
    Options
    I got some belly fat that I would love to lose. I have started jumping rope. This helps the whole body, especially the flabby fat, LoL.

Jumping rope is a fab work out - my neighbours look at me weird though!! :)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    cardio cardio cardio!!! all the crunches in the world won't do you any good if your fabulous six pack is covered in a layer of fat!!! no exercises for the extra skin that comes with motherhood either =( Once you whittle your middle down with cardio, some great toners are twisting crunches, planks, and reverse crunches ;)

I heard this exact same thing from I beleive a fitness trainer on a video or commerical, and so true. My sister in law is bigger bones but when she had her C-section, the Dr. stated she would have a good 4 pack going for her. :happy:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Multiple things to keep in mind. You will never again have that completly flat belly you had prior to children, there will always be a little bump, however it will be a lean bump and all muscle. The shape just changes some and is uber sexy imho. As others have said spot reducing isn't going to work you have to lose all over fat, and of course it will come off 1st where it wants to come off *sigh*. Deep viceral fat (the dangerous kind) will start comming off with HIIT (high intensity interval training) lift weights (heavy) check out 5x5 or just search it here on MFP, lots of good tips. If you find it difficult to do crunches, for whatever reason, you may need to work on your obliques first. PSOAS. If you have back strain at all really work those musles and you have to do small isolations adding resistance as you get better. It will pull your spine back into alignment. When you do lunges or leg lifts, for example, exhale and feel the muscle tighten. A bellydance instructor once called it the "Usher" muscle cause it's sooo sexy on a guy and well defined on his album covers. If your back feels week and you have "sway" back definately start with single leg lifts while laying on your back and exhale (with your hand on the muscle so you can feel the contraction since it is kind of a weird muscle to have control over if you are not used to it) getting these back into shape will assist both with flattening your belly and supporting your back muscles and hips! Good luck!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Tladame,
    Thanks for the tips! would you mind sharing some of those foods? thanks a bunch!

I got the book from the library, and it has a lot of great meals & recipes in it. They're basically 400 calorie meals that contain a healthy fat. Some of my favorites are:

oatmeal with peanut butter & chopped apple
    flax waffle with bananas & pecans
    pepperoni pizza - whole wheat pita, olive oil, marinara sauce, Italian cheese & turkey pepperoni
    Boca tacos - corn tortilla, Boca crumbles, salsa & avocado
    chocolate rapberry smoothie - nonfat milk, vanilla yogurt, frozen raspberries & semi-sweet choc. chips
    flax waffle with semi-sweet choc. chips & thawed dark sweet cherries...my absolute favorite!!
  • AshCain
    AshCain Posts: 13
    Options
    Avoid high carb starchy foods and limit sugar. Eat more protein. And for exercise, don't skimp on the cardio
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal weight the belly fat will go down (no seriously it will you can check out my pics) and Ill be honest my belly "hung down" so I havent lost sizes as quickly because it has shrunk up (which rounds it out) then flattens, then shrinks up again, but I also dont have the loose skin problem (yet atleast) size of babies, natural vs c-section delivery how much you gained each pregnancy and how you carried the babies all play a role. From my OBGYN uncle though you need to be working the muscles long before you can see them under the fat. I truly believe that has helped my lose inches even when the lbs havent dropped certain weeks and I do believe thats helping with my pooch too.

Losing slowly does play a role. My BF actually was teasing about who could lose the most before our waterpark trip at the end of July and I reminded him I cant lose as fast as him because Ive avoided saggy skin so far. But he builds muscle while Im losing weight go figure! he's totally encourages me doing it in ways that prevent skin sagging and promote muscle. Lean muscle on girls is sexy :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps fat reduction, strenght training helps to increase toning. You have to get your heart rate up to get your calorie burn up, otherwise you're just building muscle under fat.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I eliminated sugar (well an excess of sugar ie dessert candy chocolate drinks etc) out of my diet for one month as an experiment, and my stomach shrunk 3 inches in just one month, and mind you I was only about 5 pounds from my goal. so serious inches lost.

So that is my number one piece of advice...cut out as much process sugar as possible.

Also Pop and the chemical additives and what not has been studied extensively, and is known as a majory belly fat contributor.

Also remember that your baby skin will not go completely away. AND women are supposed to have just a tad extra there, to protect their baby parts.

But I totally understand wanting a flat stomach. lol TOTALLY!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended limiting sugar because it goes straight to the belly. He said you don't have to totally eliminate it - he is a big proponent of everything in moderation, not deprivation. He also started me on a running program. He helped get rid of my "bat wings" so I'm trusting him on this one!
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    check out this link i posted it earlier today as i came across an article that was very informative hope it helps in some way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/269415-2-awys-to-burn-off-deep-belly-fat-controlling-your-craving
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've lost some belly fat after 4 months of cardio, but how do I tighten up the skin that used to hold 3 babies?
  • SMCNEIL40
    SMCNEIL40 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This post is right on time, loving all of the tips!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    also remember that if you are proned to carrying the majority of your weight around the middle. that will be the last place it comes off...

so don't get frustrated... or get frustrated but be knowledgable about why.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!