The best running shoes??

Options
2»

Replies

• kevinsanmiguel
    Options
    I personally love my five finger shoes! However one thing I think from wearing them is if you have a bit more to lose than others you might not get all the proper support you need from a running shoe... If you're further in your weight loss journey or have less to lose then they are great. Again like many others have said it's always best to try on several different kinds to figure out what shoe will work best for your foot and athletic needs. Keep it up!
  • julbuggy
    julbuggy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are a neutral runner, and have been happy in the newtons, then you'll probably be fine in the vibrams as well. However, a word of caution: vibrams can be excellent training shoes for neutral runners looking to strengthen their stabilizers and ligaments in their feet, and work on issues having to do with form and control. For example, you MUST forefoot strike in a vibram, and they are an excellent way for runners who generally heel strike to practice forefoot striking. For most runners, though, particularly beginners, a minimal shoe like the vibrams can be dangerous when used too often and/or on pavement instead of trails. Be wary of moving from a shoe that provides a lot of stability (in the form of a medial post) to correct overpronation to an incredibly minimal shoe (really more a glove) like the vibram. If you are lucky enough to be a neutral runner with no need for cushioning, the vibram still shouldn't be considered a replacement for your running shoes, but rather a training tool to be used occasionally, (a couple times a week, perhaps) and never for more than 5 miles. Start low, even just walking around, and gradually build mileage.
    As others here have noted, the best running shoe is the shoe that works best for you. At the running store where I work, we analyze runners' strides to try to pinpoint issues like overpronation, where the person strikes (on which part of the foot they first make impact), and factors such as weight and general training issues like injuries, goals, distance per week and terrain.
    So, for those of you looking for a new pair of shoes, definitely go talk to someone who can help point you in the right direction for your individual needs. Above all, listen to your body and try to be in touch with what's going on when problems flare.

With regard to the original question, if you like the newtons and are looking to try something new, other lightweight alternatives are the very comfortable and incredibly light (but plush) Saucony Kinvara, the very flexible Nike Free (with no outsole at all) the excellent and fast Brooks Ghost (sturdier and with more support than the newtons or the kinvara, perhaps a better tool for more serious training but quick feeling and pretty minimal just the same), as well as the new New Balance Minimus, which I have yet to try.

Do what feels good, and have fun!
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i wear underarmor and love love love them. i have had three pairs and i never wanna run in anything but them :) i cant seem to find them anywhere but online so it can be a risk that way but for me totally worth it
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have the nike free's and i LOVEEEEE them no ankle pain, which i have chronically had. I recently got new insoles however because it has been well over 500 miles (trying to hold out until my bday!) and i have been slightly over training and was getting shin splints. I would like to get another pair of nike frees, but i think i am gonna front the cash to get a gait analysis because everyones foot and running stride is sooooo different.

most of your specialty running stores have free gait analysis,
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I love my vibrams. I'm not running with them all the time though. I'm buillding up in them.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the Vibram 5 Fingers, but I'm afraid to try them because of really high arches and a history of knee/hip problems. Any V5F users have similar issues? I only know one person who has them, but he only uses them for walking, so I can't really get a recommendation from him.

My running store suggested a pair of Asics GT-2160s after gait analysis, and that's the model I've stuck with for the last year and a bit because they are amazing. I run about 3 hours a week and have almost zero pain with them. Before that, I was using Saucony because they fit my wide feet well, but unfortunately they didn't work as well with my gait and I had a ton of pain.

It all comes down to what your feet like best, of course -- everyone's different!
  • ccyha1
    ccyha1 Posts: 26
    Options
    The best running shoes are the ones that you feel comfortable with. How you adjust your movements while running determines what works for you.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the Vibram 5 Fingers, but I'm afraid to try them because of really high arches and a history of knee/hip problems. Any V5F users have similar issues? I only know one person who has them, but he only uses them for walking, so I can't really get a recommendation from him.

My running store suggested a pair of Asics GT-2160s after gait analysis, and that's the model I've stuck with for the last year and a bit because they are amazing. I run about 3 hours a week and have almost zero pain with them. Before that, I was using Saucony because they fit my wide feet well, but unfortunately they didn't work as well with my gait and I had a ton of pain.

It all comes down to what your feet like best, of course -- everyone's different!

I dont have a high arch, so I dont know anything about that. The Bikila LS and Speed Vibrams mention that they fit more instep hights, so they may be the styles you should check out .
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner and have ran several marathons. The best running shoes are the best ones for you - based on foot shape, weight, gait. (For me that's Asics brand.) I don't know where you live but the best thing you can do is get to a running store where they watch you walk and let you try out several shoes by running up and down the sidewalk outside.

great answer. i love asics too

I think if you run distance (I tend to do mid-distance - 5k to half marathon distances for me) Asics are a really good choice. Obviously go with what works best for you but Asics totally cut out shin splint problems which had plagued me for years and I went from being a virtual non-runner to a 5/6 times a week runner in a few months. Love them (just a shame I go through them like butter!)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Someone has probably already said this, but here goes. You should go to your local running store to be fit. That way you get the best for your feet.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I dont have a high arch, so I dont know anything about that. The Bikila LS and Speed Vibrams mention that they fit more instep hights, so they may be the styles you should check out .

Thanks! That gives me a good place to start researching. :)
  • meggers123
    Options
    Someone has probably already said this, but here goes. You should go to your local running store to be fit. That way you get the best for your feet.

This is true, and I was fitted at Fleet Feet, *but* they will/can only recommend shoes they sell. A lot of which will be great shoes, but they have no idea abot Vibrams. If you're curious I would go to a sport or outdoor shop that sells Vibrams and try them for yourself.

You can do research on you own, and ask your doctor or a cihropractor if you see one. My doctor says Vibrams are good, and my friend who is a chiropractor always recommends them (I don't have a chiropractor cause my back is ok at the moment).
  • meggers123
    Options
    Oh, if it's any help. I started running 3 weeks ago, from being a non-runner. I sometimes wear a light brace on my left knee, but I haven't had any shin splints, or foots problems. I have sore muscles, but that can't be avoided. :)

Oh, and mine are the Vibram Sprints- which are great, except for the off-road traction in wet weather. I am an outdoors runner so I am considering adding the TrekSport or Bikila LS to my wardrobe. Something to keep in mind if you are an outdoors exerciser.
  • kevinsanmiguel
    Options
    i wear underarmor and love love love them. i have had three pairs and i never wanna run in anything but them :) i cant seem to find them anywhere but online so it can be a risk that way but for me totally worth it

If you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors store anywhere near you, they always have a pretty large quantity of Underarmour shoes there...