Dumb question about sugar...

amandabz
amandabz Posts: 3
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I didn't realize how much sugar I was consuming until I started tracking it. I've found that even when I am trying to limit it, I am going over, just by eating fruit. Does fruit really "count" toward my sugar intake? Should I actually be limiting how much fruit I consume? I always thought you could eat as much fruit as you wanted because it's fruit, after all!

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    One piece of fruit will usually put me over. I don't really care about that - the sugar to watch is added sugar (sweets, that kind of stuff).

I would caution on eating TOO much fruit, only because if you do, you may short yourself other nutrients somewhere else, like protein.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    I don't worry so much about the sugar from fruit because you are also getting fiber from the fruit (whereas with juice, you are just getting the sugar). But I also remember what I hard time I had on weight watchers in the 90's - I could NOT lose weight. My leader finally looked at my food log, and while I was staying within all the recommendations, I used all my "free" exchanges on fruit. She told me I would never lose weight eating so much fruit. Later, I found I had a problem with carbs, and the only way I lose weight is to really watch the carbs. So, I do eat 2 pieces of fruit most days but try not to eat more than that, as it is sugar in the long run, and for pre-diabetic me, it will help me hold on to my weight.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Make some of your fruit choices the yummy berries that are just coming into season (here at least, I've been able to pick a few ripe strawberries in the backyard) get the sweet taste without much of a calorie hit.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I also limit my fruit intake to one fruit a day. You really have to watch eat refined sugar. I stay away from anything white: no white bread, no white sugar, no white potatoes, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    There are simple carbs & complex carbs. You want a balance of both.

Fruit contains sugar - a simple carb (as well as fiber, and other vital nutrients). Whole grains & starches contain complex carbs. Because complex carbs take longer to digest - you stay full longer after eating these.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    You will get varying opinions on this. I try to stay under all my numbers regardless of the source. I try and balance it out and realize that some fruits have a higher sugar content than others. It also helps me drink more water knowing a glass of juice could blow my sugar intake. You also need to keep in mind that tomato is a fruit and will have a bit of sugar in it.

The bottom line for me is going over a tiny bit every so often is okay, but not consistently going over.
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Guys, you should not worry about the fruit you are eating as the sugar in it is ok. as its been said its the refined sugar you need to watch. Fruit also helps towards body water intake too, just dont count it. There is no such thing as too much fruit in a balanced diet.
This discussion has been closed.