A new goal to spice things up a bit!

For the last couple weeks my workouts have been, eh, stagnating a bit. I've been tired and stressed and losing sight of my specific goals, and really losing my excitement about reaching them. Plus my bf and I haven't really been able to spend much quality time together, and we've been grumping lately. Anyway, I was at work last night (of course) talking to my friend Matt who has already done two full marathons, and he's only 21. I asked him about a million questions, and started to really miss running! Last year I was running about 5-6 miles almost daily, and lately I haven't been doing any.

So, I decided that I'm going to train for a half marathon for the next 16 weeks, and a full marathon by the time I officially graduate (summer 2009). Tonight we ran 5k in 33 min., which is good considering that I haven't run in a few months. Our 'official' training schedule starts Monday, so until then we'll just be jogging easy for a few miles a day. I'm using a plan from Runner's World along with a revised lifting plan to train. My first actual race will be the Turkey Trot on Nov. 15th. It's only a 5k but I'm hoping to finish in 30 min. or less.

This also helps me out with classes...I'm going to be assessing myself for an exercise prescription/assessment class and quantifying all my data for a little case study type thing. I'm really excited!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    For the last couple weeks my workouts have been, eh, stagnating a bit. I've been tired and stressed and losing sight of my specific goals, and really losing my excitement about reaching them. Plus my bf and I haven't really been able to spend much quality time together, and we've been grumping lately. Anyway, I was at work last night (of course) talking to my friend Matt who has already done two full marathons, and he's only 21. I asked him about a million questions, and started to really miss running! Last year I was running about 5-6 miles almost daily, and lately I haven't been doing any.

So, I decided that I'm going to train for a half marathon for the next 16 weeks, and a full marathon by the time I officially graduate (summer 2009). Tonight we ran 5k in 33 min., which is good considering that I haven't run in a few months. Our 'official' training schedule starts Monday, so until then we'll just be jogging easy for a few miles a day. I'm using a plan from Runner's World along with a revised lifting plan to train. My first actual race will be the Turkey Trot on Nov. 15th. It's only a 5k but I'm hoping to finish in 30 min. or less.

This also helps me out with classes...I'm going to be assessing myself for an exercise prescription/assessment class and quantifying all my data for a little case study type thing. I'm really excited!
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Good for you! I started running in March this past year. I have done a 5km clinic, a 10km clinic and am just finishing up my 1/2 marathon clinic with my first half marathon race in 2.5 weeks!! It is an amazing experience and I am also going to join up with a marathon group which starts training in January...that should be an experience as I live in northern Canada and the snow is crazy here.

It's great that you have a partner to train with, it makes it so much easier to do the runs. Keep me posted on your running!

Kim
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Cool....good luck:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Good luck kd!! I am originally from Michigan, so I have an idea of your winters, and I wouldn't want to experience one lol!

Tonight I ran by myself, which I don't really mind because I've run by myself for most of my runs. I did 4.25 miles in about 53 minutes, which isn't great, but with my short legs and crummy shoes and the HILLLLLLLS down here in southwest VA, it's not bad either! :laugh: I'd love to run a race back home..my parents are 1000 feet closer to sea level in northern VA.