Surgery date is coming faster than I'm ready! **Women only q

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    I just wanted to add one more thing.

I think the hardest part of it all for me wasn't the actual surgery (yes it was painful but that went away fairly quickly) but how I felt without my boobies (lol sorry!). Since I was 11 that's what people noticed me for and what I thought every guy liked about me, it was a REALLY hard transition, I felt like part of me ( a big part of my self esteem ) was missing.
    I often think now that part of the reason I gained weight was so that people would stop staring at my in a sexual way, people saw big boobs and made automatic assumptions about me.
    So you really need to be at peace with your decision before you do it because it's going to be a hard enough thing to deal with when you are 100% sure.
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    I have a friend that had the surgery this past Thursday and she is very, very happy with the immediate results.

I am glad that insurance companies are more open to this surgery now than they were 10-15 years ago.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    I had this done, almost 10 years ago. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself and I don't regret it for an instant.

I will be honest -- there is a lot of pain involved, especially right after surgery and then for the first several days. I had no clue what 10 on the pain scale meant until I woke up in recovery. Then I had horrible nausea from the pain pills and couldn't keep them down for the first few days, which meant I had more pain than I should have had. Once my doctor got me something for the nausea and I was able to take the pills, the pain was very manageable. Recovery is tough. You can't lift anything weighing more than a couple of pounds for a while. You can't lift your arms over your head for several days. I also had a reaction to my stitches, so things didn't heal as well as they should have. I have quite a bit of scarring because of that. Even knowing all of this, I still would do it all over again.

I don't know where you are weight-wise, and how weight loss impacts your breasts. For me, I had lost weight, but never from the chest. (When I had the surgery, I was at my lightest since my early teens) but not everyone is like that. If you are still losing weight, you may want to wait if you do lose it from the chest. At the same time, the results will really help you when you exercise and run. Most people don't realize how debilitating large breasts can be; they just think it's a blessing. It sounds like from your follow up posts that weight loss doesn't seem to impact them.

When I was going through the process, I found a great website/community: breasthealthonline.com Everyone was very supportive. It was people who had already gone through the process, people recovering, people exploring the option, etc. It was wonderful finding other people who knew what I was going through, people who could answer my questions and offer suggestions. I just checked and it's still around. I strongly urge you check it out and join. Talk about your questions and concerns with them. The group was just so supportive and knowledgeable and amazing. I couldn't have gotten through it without them.

It does sound like time wise for the rest of the things in your life that going through with it now would work well, but you can't let that be the driving force in making this decision. You need to decide for yourself. Your husband is important to talk with about this, as are your doctors, but the decision ultimately is your own.

If you do decide to go through with the surgery, my best suggestion is if you don't already have one, get a recliner for after surgery. You need to sleep elevated, plus getting in and out of a regular bed is next to impossible when you can't use your arms.

Best of luck!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member

When I was going through the process, I found a great website/community: breasthealthonline.com
    If you do decide to go through with the surgery, my best suggestion is if you don't already have one, get a recliner for after surgery. You need to sleep elevated, plus getting in and out of a regular bed is next to impossible when you can't use your arms.

Best of luck!

I'll have to check out the website thanks for sharing. Got a recliner and slept in it after my last csection. The worse pain I had ever felt. I had my tubes tied at the same time and never expected to have the pain I did.

I'm nervous about the recovery time. The doc didn't make it sound like it would take this much to recover. I expect no running for 6-8 weeks. I also expected no cardio for awhile. I didn't expect the not lifting the arms and needing too much time off work. I'm won't lie I'm really nervous.

I'm currently 192.4 and my goal is honestly 160. I have a ways to go. When I was 240 I was the same size then as I am now. I seem to lose weight other places than my chest.
  • cheri0627
    I took a little more than 2 weeks off of work. (Surgery was Thursday and I took the next 2 full weeks off.) Then again, I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day. You may need to take more time off, or have a lot more help around for a few more weeks, since you're running a daycare. I also had a more complicated recovery due to the stitches issue.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    If you decide to go for it, you may want to look into taking quercetin/bromelain supplements before/during/after surgery. They are natural anti-inflammitories, and can help with quicker healing because there is less swelling. Over the past few years, surgeons have started recommending this to their patients - especially plastic surgeons.
  • Daisy_May
    I added my before and after pics from my reduction to my profile if anyone is interested, I'm in the same cilver shirt in both of them! As you can see I still have lots left :-)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    how long was it before you could drive? I know it sounds crazy but I didn't think to ask the doc.
  • Daisy_May
    A month but that's because I was on pain killers and shouldn't drive on them!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    daisy_may - how much "weight" did they remove? I'm expected to have 3 lbs total removed. I'm wondering if the plastic surgery office would be able to submit my current weight to see if it would change what the insurance requires. They had me at 209lbs and I'm not 192. I would feel better if they had less they "required" to remove. Then the doctor could make the choice if he felt he needed to remove more or less. I was told they have to remove what the insurance requires but may have to remove more they won't know for sure until they start the surgery.

I hate surgery and I'm worried something will go wrong. I seem to alway have things go wrong. Just my experience with life and medical issues. My csections went great but knee surgery, eye surgery, etc... had issues that were unexpected and caused things to be a long process to heal.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    :heart: :heart: MY MOTHER WENT FROM THE "DDD" TO A "C" CUP (MY SIZE) AND SHE LOVES IT! NO MORE PAIN, SHE LOOK GREAT AND FEELS EVEN BETTTER. AND AFTER THE SURGERY SHE IS MORE ACTIVE. MY BESTIE SANDRA HAD THE SAME SURGERY LAST YEAR AND SHE LOVES THE "SMALLER CHEST". JUST THINK MORE ON THE BENEFITS, AND BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. PRAYING FOR YOUR STRENGTH THROUGH THIS TOUGH DECISION. :heart:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    I was hoping for no more than a week of no driving. I know for safety issues I won't do it unless the doctor says I can but just another thing I have to get figured out if I do it. Kids have softball games, practice, swim lessons, safety town, etc... As long as my husband is in town it will work but if he gets called away for work then I guess we'd be skipping if I can't drive.
  • I had it done about 15 years ago. The recovery was more painful than I anticipated, but not so awful that you can't stand it. I've never regretted it. I'm still considered to have "big" boobs, but nothing compared to before. I'm now a C. Good luck to you, I think you'll be pleased afterwards. Makes clothes shopping a lot more enjoyable too!
  • Daisy_May
    3 liters off of each side, so like 3 bags of milk from each side!

I was right at 200lbs when I got it done and I had no issues with it being approved my OHIP but I had what they consider true giaganticism(sp?), I had been that size since I was a preteen.

I know that surgery is scary, very scary but you have to think about the end result, is it what you want? Because honestly I'd go through the whole thing again in a heartbeat because it has improved my life beyond measure. You just have to figure out if a few weeks of pain and discomfort are worth it to you.

I will also say I think it has a lot to do with how much they take off; my friend’s mom had it done and was shopping the next day but she was only about your size to start. Where after my reduction I'm just down to your size now!
  • cheri0627
    I drove for the first time post op on day 16, I think. Once I was off the pain killers, and only on ibuprofen, I could drive.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    My surgery was on a Friday, and I was at work 9 days later (Monday). I worked in an office, so I was able to work without lifting heavy things, and I took the bus so I didn't have to drive. I only took 1/2 pain tablets, so I could concentrate at work, but that also meant there was a bit more pain. I think I was able to drive at like 14-15 days. But again, I stopped taking the pain meds early and then took Ibuprofen as needed.

Good luck to you whatever you choose!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    I would wait if I wasn't sure. Surgery is kind of a big deal, but that's just me.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    I know it sounds crazy but I'm not too worried about the pain. After 3 csections, knee surgery, eye surgery, and a couple other minor things I expect I can handle it. I think it will be harder to tell myself NO lifting and rest. I'm not a medication person I tend to work through pain and stay away from as much as I can. I did have to take some in November after I broke my tail bone falling down the steps doing laundry. I took half the dose recommended b/c I didn't like the loopy feeling I got.

I have 3 options:
    1. have it done and deal with the time off, pain, and possibly not being happy with how small chested I end up.
    2. wait till next year March and have it done. I won't have the help so I would have to close my business for a couple weeks (no pay) and I have to hope the insurance will cover it. As of right now they only cover it till december based on the numbers the doctor gave them. I will have to run the wine & day Oct 1st and the goofy challenge with the pain. Already registered so I don't want to lose the money.
    3. don't do it at all. maybe someday I'll change my mind and look into it again but that means having the back, shoulder, and head issues I'm dealing with. Not fun but I've done it this long so I'm sure I can keep dealing with it. might end up giving up running and that would be hard it's something I love to do.

however surgery is a big deal so I don't want to just do it to do it....
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    My college roommate did it- she was a G in college and had the surgery...she still says it was the best decision she ever made! (well until her engagement a couple of weeks ago:happy: ) Make sure to continue to talk to your doctor about it- they should be able to help you understand it more
  • cheri0627
    I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.
This discussion has been closed.