"Traditional" exercise vs P90x, insanity etc (minus the hype

Options
I have been doing a "traditional" exercise routine for a while - including elliptical, some sports (racquetball for me) some treadmill, and body weight exercises (pull ups, planks, push ups, etc with a little bit of dumbbells to boot). My regimen is pretty regular - aerobic exercise 4 to 6x / week, and resistance 3x / week.

For me, it has been working out well (pun intended), but I always wonder if it would be better if I did one of those packaged routines - p90x, insanity etc. When I say "better", I mean are there more balanced results, greater gains (or losses, if you prefer), or some other quality that I'm not aware of?

I see so many people who are so excited about these programs - with near religious fervor. What's the real deal? I feel that these programs are so heavily marketed (and so expensive), that I tend to be quite skeptical of both their claims, as well as much of the breathless praise I hear around the web.

Any one with experience with both conventional exercise and one of these packaged programs care to comment on this? I'd love to hear your assessments, especially in a calm, matter-of-fact tone, so I don't feel like the "spell" of the media blitz has entered the conversation.

Thanks!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I like programs for Insanity b/c it's all planned for me....I wouldn't make myself sit down and figure out what I would need to do for traditional exercise...I like that all the workouts are on a calender for me....
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled a bit with P90X, so I'm sure others who have did the complete program will have better reply's. The big thing with both those programs is the fact that you can do that at home, instead of going to a gym. With each workout being 45min-1hr and you don't have to have a gym membership or go anywhere, there are no excuses.
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    when you have little kids at home, you don't have to leave your house to get a complete body workout. You feel like you are in complete control of your workouts because they have been designed already for you. You can hit pause, push play, anytime you want....... No need to get to the gym and waste time commuting.
  • McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am starting P90x July 1st. I chose P90x vs 'traditional' exercise only because I am a Stay at home mom of 3 so I can workout in the convenience of my own home (and not have gawkers at the gym :P ) without having to take my kids somewhere.

After buying it for that reason though, I talked to a few of my friends who are also doing it (men and women) and their results have been amazing. It's not only for those who are moderately fit to use to get ripped, but overweight people as well (doing more than 1 round of it of course) to lose weight and get fit as well.

P90x has it all planned out, 12 discs and depending whether you want to use 'classic', 'lean', or 'doubles' it has the routine planned out for you, what discs on what day etc, as well as your recovery week, and your weigh ins', measurements, pics etc. It's nice because I like a routine, easy to follow, as well as the nutrritional booklet that comes with it so depending on the phase of the workout you have recpies and suggestions of foods to eat to increase results.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I too was skeptical of pre-packaged and over-hyped BeachBody products. I had been in the gym for years, and thought I was in good shape. P90X proved me wrong. I find personally, I won't push myself as hard in a gym as I would with the DVD's. I hated (and still hate) cardio. But having the DVD's "forced" me to do it. Basically I needed the outside "trainer" screaming in my ear. It was worth it, for me.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm just a few weeks in to my first round of P90X, after many months of doing my own thing. I found that as my motivation went up & down & up & down... the intensity of my workouts did too. With a pre-packaged program, it's all laid out for me so I can just turn off my brain and be motivated by someone else for a while. It's a nice change for me.

The results of a program like these won't be any different than a program of your own creation, if the same time & dedication is put forth in both. If you're happily chugging along & seeing the results that you want doing your own thing... then I'd keep on doing what you're doing! No pre-made program is going to give you results that you can't get on your own, if you're motivated & pushing hard.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    For me I like it simple. The different programs offered from Beachbody has had someone do all the work to work you out completely. I just follow what they are doing and get results. When I try to workout at the gym I, personally, feel lost. And getting to roll out of bed and push play is a nice thing. However, I do still have my gym membership...I like taking the classes.

These programs are for real, IF you do the work!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I too do my "own" thing, without the gym, lots of cardio, TM, various in home resistance training (I use body weight and free weights), but then, after hearing so much about it, decided to go out and buy P90X. Tried it for about 2 weeks, but ultimately was not for me. Not b/c of the program itself, but I simply cannot relate to well to staring at the screen and following a routine. Yes, the program is certainly challenging and it introduces exercises that you yourself might not think of, but for me that was not motivating enough. I tend to push myself quite hard most of the time, so normally not a slacker.
    My point is, if you need someone to push you and you like following a program then yes, P90X might be useful to you b/c it certainly is intense enough. If you push yourself, are not bored with what you do and still see improvements then I would not bother.

But who knows, may be by winter time I will be bored with my own stuff and go and try again.:) LIfe is good.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I have mixed the two, traditional with the planned programs. I get too bored doing the same thing (hence the reason I took up triathlons as well). I used to use P90X or 30DS on days I couldn't get to the gym; other days I did the elliptical, walked, ran, etc. I know people who have gotten great results with P90X but it is very rigorous and if you don't do it according to plan, it's no better than doing your own "traditional" exercise. I am now using a triathlon training plan: on days I am supposed to do upper body strength, I use P90X Arms and Back, on days I am supposed to do lower body strength, I do P90X legs and back, and I also use Ab Ripper X from it on my core strength days. It's a great workout if you can stick with it day in, day out for 90 days. Otherwise, save your $.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've tried both traditional exercise (rowing machine, elliptical, weights, calisthenics, water aerobics, yoga, pilates, karate, ballet) and Beachbody products. I've also done a LOT of exercise programs (audio cassette, VHS, DVD) over the years. Just in terms of cost, I don't think the BB products are all that expensive compared to, say, buying a good quality rowing machine or taking a class. And considering what they include, they're not all that expensive compared to any other exercise program I've purchased.

For me its all about what makes me willing to do it. I have to enjoy the workout and feel good about it afterward, and so far BB products have always delivered. The biggest thing for me though, is that they come with a time frame, a trajectory, and an exit strategy. I can imagine doing something for three months, especially if I know that there will be some kind of measurable progress by the end. Even though I know I won't reach all my fitness goals in three months, I still really like that feeling of making progress toward a goal.