LOW CALORIE VS HIGH PROTEIN/ LOW CARBS

Options
♥ So my Nutritionist informed me that if I want to see faster results that I should be following a High Protein and Low carb meal plan rather than what I'm doing.. Low fat / low calorie diet. Which is better?? SO FRUSTURATED!!! :explode:

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Restricted calorie, high protein - carbs/fat up to you. Assuming you are not insulin resistant, which you would know by now if you are.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I would do a 1200 net diet while incorporating high protein. Trick is, protein keeps you fuller longer and helps build muscle, therefore you will take in less calories.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    high carb/low fat works, and so does high fat/low carb. Both can be high protein, low cal. Personally, I follow a high fat/low carb diet & think it's the more delicious option.
  • nikkih_89
    nikkih_89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just bought a book today called protein power and also a cook book called low carbs cook book. I got them both at Barnes and noble. The protein book was 11.99 the carbs cookbook was 16.99. I think that's the better diet to vi with from what I've heard.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Oh I wanted to add, you've lost 45 lbs, so you're doing something right already! Congrats!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Restricted calorie, high protein - carbs/fat up to you. Assuming you are not insulin resistant, which you would know by now if you are.

^^^^this

I think the best question to ask is do you crave carbs? I do, so a low carb, high protein is best for me. Carbs are addictive to some people and eating them only makes them binge eat because they continue to crave more.
  • mandy014384
    mandy014384 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I am insulin resistant so high fat/low carb works the best for me. I have been trying low fat/calorie for a while because there is more food options and I can keep myself from gaining weight but I plateau often with weight loss. If I don't see progress I get discouraged and then stop. I started doing high fat/low carb 3 weeks ago and I am ranging 12-14 lbs lost already.
  • BeilaLin
    BeilaLin Posts: 189
    Options
    I would choose low carb + high protein. carbs turn to fat eventually. protein repairs muscle fibers after workouts and muscle burns more calories. you want more muscle, but don't worry, you won't turn into a body builder eating more protein. body builders must do 4-5 hours of weights and eat massive amounts of protein. eat protein at every meal, and you'll feel fuller and last longer during your workouts. you'll see a dramatic difference if you haven't been losing weight eating this way. good luck girl!
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Carb addict here. I stick to low carb/high protein because that is what works for me. It also will take you a week or two to get used to it and figure out how to eat more protein and not so many carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I will say a variation of both but high calorie. This is why I say it. Low carb works for only so long and if you dont eat the enough carbs your workouts will suffer. Also, higher calories help fuel a body to work hard. You can eat high calorie and still lose weight. The biggest thing is to figured out what your BMR is as this is your starting point for how many calories to consume. Then you multiply that number the amount of exercise you do to get your TDEE (total daily energy expediture) and back off 250-500 calories depending how close to your goal you are. Below is a link to help.

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Also, what I do is set up a custom setup in my goals. I do 2600 calories while doing chalean extreme and 3000 doing p90x. During the first 30 days, I do 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. After 30 days, I increase carbs by 5% and reduce protein by 5%. I do this again after another 30 days. By the time you get to your target weight, you should be 60% carb, 20% protein and 20% fats.

I will cavet with saying, when I mention carb, I mean whole wheat/whole grain/multigrain. White carbs and sugar turn to fat and burn very quickly. They are known as simple carbs. Complex carbs burn slower and provide more energy.
  • blockhead922
    Options
    I would assume that a high protein/low carb diet would be most effective - provided you're exercising a decent amount. If you're not exercising then your body will turn protein into carbs.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I would choose low carb + high protein. carbs turn to fat eventually. protein repairs muscle fibers after workouts and muscle burns more calories. you want more muscle, but don't worry, you won't turn into a body builder eating more protein. body builders must do 4-5 hours of weights and eat massive amounts of protein. eat protein at every meal, and you'll feel fuller and last longer during your workouts. you'll see a dramatic difference if you haven't been losing weight eating this way. good luck girl!

Carbs don't turn into fat. Excess calories turn into fat.

You must know some crazy bodybuilders who work out 4-5 hours of weights. (or are you talking about weekly?)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

agree! low carb/higher protein!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Carbs don't turn into fat. Excess calories turn into fat.

You must know some crazy bodybuilders who work out 4-5 hours of weights. (or are you talking about weekly?)

Complex carbs don't turn into fat due to the amount of time it takes for your body to digest. Simple sugars/simple carbs that are refined turn into fat. If you don't believe me, google it. I just did and several articles came up.