Damned if I do, damned if I don't...HELP

Options
Since joining MFP I've lost a consistent 1.6lbs a week after the first week (-2.8lbs) but reading and researching my caloric needs is making me want to up my calories. I have no problem with my 1350. but after logging all my data into countless calculators it says i should be eating anywhere from 1600-1780 calories a day. I want to lose at least 1.5lbs per week; MFP puts me at 1600 but as of now I'm reaching my goal of weight loss, but if I feed my body more I may lose more! I'm stuck!!!! HELP!!!! I don't want to up my cals and gain and i don't want to keep them at 1350 and go into starvation mode!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I plateaued from not eating enough but was scared to eat more. I upped my calories by 150 at first and didn't gain any weight. I then upped my cals another couple of hundred and finally broke the plateau and started losing again. Slowly up the calories so you are comfortable with it. 100 calories a day is only 700 calories a week- you need 3500 extra cals a week to gain a pound.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You're NOT going to go into starvation mode, trust me.
    Those calculators were probably telling you how many you needed to eat to maintain, MFP is telling you how to lose 1.5 a week!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: IF YOU ARE STILL LOSING, DONT CHANGE ANYTHING.
    Once you plateau, which will eventually happen, then start to work on change.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Keep doin what you're doin as long as its working and when it stops working try something else!
  • shale367
    shale367 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How much are you exercising? Kick it up and eat your 1600 calories per day and you will lose!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you entered everything correctly when you set up your profile and you're losing, then don't worry about it. If you keep eating the same amount and your weight loss starts to slow or stop, then try going to 1 lb. loss per week.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 times a week 50-60 mins a day! my diary is public also!
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You may try changing the amount of caloires per day but have them equal your 1350 daily, like 1200 one day and 1500 the other. I've been stuck and playing with the higher/lower intake has worked.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I think 1350 is fine. If you are hungry up them some. I tend to go between 1200 - 1500 depending on my hunger.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating at least 1200 a day you will NOT go into starvation mode. Also, it takes a few weeks of way under calories for your body to do that..
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    thanks guys!!!!
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    As long as you are eating at least 1200 a day you will NOT go into starvation mode. Also, it takes a few weeks of way under calories for your body to do that..

It's been my personal experience that it only takes about 5 days of eating 200-500 calories less than the 1200 limit for your body to go into starvation mode. It is really not a good place to be! It took forever to get my body back on track and I would do just about anything to avoid getting back there. As a rule now, I try to never go under. I would rather be 300 calories over than 100 calories under.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

It's been my personal experience that it only takes about 5 days of eating 200-500 calories less than the 1200 limit for your body to go into starvation mode. It is really not a good place to be! It took forever to get my body back on track and I would do just about anything to avoid getting back there. As a rule now, I try to never go under. I would rather be 300 calories over than 100 calories under.

I agree. I was eating 1200 and it sent me into a 2 month long plateau. I started eating more and started losing again. Once you realize you screwed your metabolism by not eating enough, you tend to be more careful than those who have never experienced it.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have tried tons of other calorie calculators and I am here on MFP because I LOVE theirs. Others say I should be able to eat 2000 calories and lose, no way will that work, I don't even eat that on maintenance. When I was at 142 and lifting 3 days a week, cardio 5 days a week, the MOST i ate a day was 1800 and the average was about 1400. I think shorter girls get "shorted" on calories and we need less to maintain than others. Trust the MFP calculator. It is the first time a calorie calculator ever gave me a correct amount in the 6.5 years I have been doing this.