Running in the heat?

Options
So, I live in Savannah and this is my first summer of running outside. It is now hot as heck and I was wondering, how hot does it have to be that you shouldn't go running? I hate the treadmill and no matter how much I love running I can't get out of bed early to go. The only thing that matters to me when I first wake up is not getting out of bed. I would like to go in the late morning or afternoon when I get done with school, but today it's almost 100 degrees out. When I get done in the late morning it is in the mid eighties already. Is it too hot to run in?

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Hell no it's not too hot to run. I'm here in Central Fl, and lately it's been around 100 every day. I've been running, training, and doing my thing every day. Get your water, listen to your body. If you cramp up slow it down, if you're drained, then get your carbs and electrolytes.

Now get out there and get to it.
  • stephrawrrr
    Options
    I think if you keep it to early morning you'll be fine. Once the humidity gets high you're gonna have a tougher time breathing, especially if you're running. Drink a lot of fluids after your workout! Good luck :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan, but I hear you get used to it. Just stay hydrated and try to run in the mornings when it's not as hot.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I live on the other side of the State in Columbus and know what heat you are talking about.

The answer is that it is never too hot to run as long as you remain hydrated during the day and monitor yourself for signs of heat injury. If you feel a heat injury coming on then stop and take the appropriate action. It also helps to wear a hat to keep the sun off your head and out of your eyes. If you are running for more than about an hour it also helps to take along some water.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    For me, anything above 80 degrees is too hot. Try going early morning.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You will totally get used to it. I try to go and be done before 10am, because it's hot as blazes here too. It was in the high 80's yesterday morning when I finished my run at 9:30. If I cannot go in the morning, I am out in the afternoon after 6 when its in the high 90's....sucks, but once you get used to it, its nothing. It feels good to be covered in sweat and soaking wet. I totally feel more productive.
    I will admit my park's trail is 70% shaded, so it's a big bonus!

Good Luck
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It depends on YOU, really. I am in Phoenix, AZ and it is pretty hot AND (not but) dry. I can tolerate the heat and long distance running (5K) as long as:

1. I am properly hydrated. EXTREMELY important!!!! and
    2. I am done by 10 am or start after 5pm.

I believe that it is the SUN that makes people feel tired, not so much the temperature in degrees. Love the SUN, but respect it.

Keep ON.... running!
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Ok, so my husband wanted to start running in the afternoons when its ranges from 105 to almost 111 here... My thoughts is that hot it almost becomes dangerous... but what do ya'll think?
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my husband wanted to start running in the afternoons when its ranges from 105 to almost 111 here... My thoughts is that hot it almost becomes dangerous... but what do ya'll think?

Bull. Get your carbs 1-3 hours before and right after, drink water THROUGHOUT THE DAY, and take it easy at the beginning.

They're running in Africa to get from place to place because they have to. . .It ain't too hot.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! Right after I posted this I went for a quick 2 miler outside just to see how it was. My route is mostly shaded and it wasn't too bad. Wish I would have went a little further! I am dripping in sweat though. Good work out!