Low Sodium Fat Free Cottage Cheese?

Options
RCKT82
RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
I like fat free cottage cheese... but no matter which grocery store I go to or which brand I go with... all fat free cottage cheese seems to be packed with sodium.

Has anyone found any low sodium fat free cottage cheese? Or do I just need to just decide between high sodium FF cottage cheese or lower sodium higher fat cottage cheese?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would love to know too!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Breakstone has a lower sodium cottage cheese, but I believe it is 1% or 2% fat.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that I think you're going to have to make a choice.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    go with Low Fat cottage cheese. it is much better for you.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I mix it up, sometimes low sodium high fat (4% milk) I beleive 1/2c is 120cal or I go for the fat free (high sodium content) but only 80c for 1/2c. Both are from Breakstone. If I know my sodium os going to be high from other foods will choose the low sodium and then vice versa for the fat version.
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    Friendship Brand has a "no-salt dded" cottage cheese. Not sure if they are in your area or not. I found it when I lived in Florida but have not been able to find it since I moved.

http://www.friendshipdairies.com/products/1-lowfat-no-salt-added-cottage-cheese.html

Hope this helps!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I buy Nordica, it's the best but only available in Ontario, Canada.

Only 280mg sodium, 0g fat.

http://www.gaylea.com/products/prodid/27

Anyone in the US want to send me Fiber 1 Key Lime Yogurt and Cherry Coke Zero I'll send you some cottage cheese, LOL!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the fat free...

4% seems to have less sodium than the fat free (well depending on the brand)

fat free, low fat, low calorie = high sodium (most of the time)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the fat free...

4% seems to have less sodium than the fat free (well depending on the brand)

fat free, low fat, low calorie = high sodium (most of the time)

Could be BUT Nordia 4% has 5g fat and 10 more mg of sodium than fat-free not less, 290g
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I prefer higher sodium content to higher fat, since the higher fat comes with more cholesterol, and I'm a stickler for avoiding that. I don't worry too much about the sodium, especially if I'm working out and losing the salt. The only time I worry more about it is when I have something like soup and I know it has an astronomical amount. Otherwise, cottage cheese, I just don't worry much about that.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My professor who who is a cellular biologist said not to worry about watching sodium, unless you're a person who has problems with their heart or water retention. I don't go crazy with adding it, but don't worry about sodium content in food either. Go with low fat.
  • kaymayscool
    Options
    Check out this link. I have never seen low sodium cottage cheese until this one. I always wondered why it was always suggested on a diet when it is packed with sodium. The one I found is LOW SODIUM. no salt is added like most and it is 1% fat.

http://www.friendshipdairies.com/products/1-lowfat-no-salt-added-cottage-cheese.html

They give you a list of grocers who sell it. I have only found it at FOOD CITY where I live. So, I hope that helps!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Kate, I have a medical back ground. Excess sodium can lead to high blood pressure, water retention, heart disease and stroke. All the sources I have read say this. It is very important to watch your sodium. 1 teaspoon of table salt contains 2360mg of sodium. Even though I have always had good blood pressure, my doctor still tells me to make sure I am watching my sodium. I track sodium because it helps me realize how much salt is in things and then I try not to eat those things anymore. It isn't worth the risk of developing heart disease or having a stroke or high blood pressure in the future.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My professor who who is a cellular biologist said not to worry about watching sodium, unless you're a person who has problems with their heart or water retention. I don't go crazy with adding it, but don't worry about sodium content in food either. Go with low fat.
    I can second this. I used to track sodium carefully and had a pretty high-sodium diet. At the urging of a couple of my MFPals, I went to the Dr & had a metabolic panel done to check on various things including electrolyte levels. The result was that my doc said that because of my high levels of exercise and the fact that I don't have a particular tendency toward hypertension or high blood pressure, my diet was fine - even with the high (even very high) levels of sodium.

Of course, this isn't the rule for everyone. For many, keeping the sodium low is crucial to health and for weight loss. But it is one of those factors that will effect some, but not all. That 'one-size fits all' rule of 2,500 mgs of sodium per person is too generic and should not be taken as a rule for every person.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice! To bad none here on west coast though.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Of course, this isn't the rule for everyone. For many, keeping the sodium low is crucial to health and for weight loss. But it is one of those factors that will effect some, but not all. That 'one-size fits all' rule of 2,500 mgs of sodium per person is too generic and should not be taken as a rule for every person.

I watch my sodium because, while I don't have problems now, my grandmother struggled with high blood pressure in her later years and was on medication for it. The US Agriculture and Health and Human Services departments released a new recommendation in January. For those with issues where sodium should be restricted or over the age of 51, 1500 mg is the new recommendation. Those who don't need to worry as much about their sodium intake should restrict it to less than 2300 mg. Of course, the American Heart Association recommends that everyone keep their sodium intake below 1500 mg, regardless of health or age.

Personally, I think one's size should be an issue, as well. The "one size fit all" recommendations, regardless of sex, height or weight seem odd to me. If I'm consuming 1200 calories a day, I'm going to have an easier time staying under 1500 mg than someone who is consuming 2500 calories. Also, at 130 pounds and 5'3", I'd think I probably need a lot less sodium than my husband who is 6'3" and 190 pounds.
  • hammercurl
    Options
    Your body would much rather deal with the fat than the sodium. It's a fact. Toss out low fat foods. Fat is a fuel for your fire. It's one of the healthiest things you can eat. Stop letting diet foods truck you into eating sugars and more sodium. It just makes you fatter. Eat the fatty foods and you will eat less feel less hungry and have less insulin related issues.
  • Cherub269
    Cherub269 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    www.friendshipdairies.com/products/1-lowfat-no-salt-added-cottage-cheese.html

http://www.hood.com/products/proddetail.aspx?id=654&lb=875
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Massachusetts I found a sodium free (either Daisy or Crowley I believe) and it was TERRIBLE. So I bought one sodium free and one 2% or 4% and mixed 50/50. That was perfect for me. Since being back in western NY I have not found any sodium free.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I switched to ricotta cheese. 75mg of sodium. :)