Adding muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    the example is to grow larger arms you train biceps and triceps together 3x a week for a 3 week period

i think this is what 80% of the guys at my gym do anyways.

"hey why are you squatting in the squat rack? that's for doing barbell curls"

haha must be all day gun shows at that gym...if they curl in the squat rack where do they squat?

They don't, a lot of these guys look like tops.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    the example is to grow larger arms you train biceps and triceps together 3x a week for a 3 week period

i think this is what 80% of the guys at my gym do anyways.

"hey why are you squatting in the squat rack? that's for doing barbell curls"

haha must be all day gun shows at that gym...if they curl in the squat rack where do they squat?

They don't, a lot of these guys look like tops.

This is so true.
  • End6ame
    Options
    What is the mifflin equation..and thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice...

Th Mifflin equation is one of the more accurate ways of calculating your calorie requirements.
    Info on it: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php
    Calculator: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    side note: I recently read an article about overtraining..Basically it is saying that overtraining does not take place for several weeks of intense training on the same muscle... it also says that training to the brink of overtraining can cause increase in mass over a much shorter period of time..the example is to grow larger arms you train biceps and triceps together 3x a week for a 3 week period in addition to your normal split, then back to once a week for 2 weeks and repeat. Does anyone have any experience in training this way? What kind of results did you see?

I think this is total BS on a number of levels. First I don’t think training a muscle 3x per week is close to overtraining (example: I squat 3x per week). Secondly overtraining is typically not seen in the “muscle” sense but rather the effect that too much high intensity training has your central nervous system. Squat and deadlift 5 days a week and you will likely over train your CNS. I suppose if you did bicep curls three days in a row, with no rest, you could just over train the muscle, but that type of training will not produce growth because your muscles grow during rest, not during training.... And bicep curls are stupid anyways :-)
  • JoeyC07
    JoeyC07 Posts: 42
    Options
    - I think this is total BS on a number of levels. First I don’t think training a muscle 3x per week is close to overtraining (example: I squat 3x per week). Secondly overtraining is typically not seen in the “muscle” sense but rather the effect that too much high intensity training has your central nervous system. Squat and deadlift 5 days a week and you will likely over train your CNS. I suppose if you did bicep curls three days in a row, with no rest, you could just over train the muscle, but that type of training will not produce growth because your muscles grow during rest, not during training.... And bicep curls are stupid anyways :-)
    [/quote]

I have normally run a 5 day split focusing on 1 body part per day w/ the exception of adding tri's to chest and bi's to back. Then bi's and tri's on their own day as well. I do this for two months and then for a month I do everything 2x a week..ex. legs and back and bi's chest shoulders trii's then off and repeat. I would think that the level of intensity the individual works out at could make a difference in overtraining as well. Always looking to mix it up a little, I havent been getting sore from my workouts lately, time for a change I think.
  • JoeyC07
    Options
    - I think this is total BS on a number of levels. First I don’t think training a muscle 3x per week is close to overtraining (example: I squat 3x per week). Secondly overtraining is typically not seen in the “muscle” sense but rather the effect that too much high intensity training has your central nervous system. Squat and deadlift 5 days a week and you will likely over train your CNS. I suppose if you did bicep curls three days in a row, with no rest, you could just over train the muscle, but that type of training will not produce growth because your muscles grow during rest, not during training.... And bicep curls are stupid anyways :-)
  • JoeyC07
    Options
    I have normally run a 5 day split focusing on 1 body part per day w/ the exception of adding tri's to chest and bi's to back. Then bi's and tri's on their own day as well. I do this for two months and then for a month I do everything 2x a week..ex. legs and back and bi's chest shoulders trii's then off and repeat. I would think that the level of intensity the individual works out at could make a difference in overtraining as well. Always looking to mix it up a little, I havent been getting sore from my workouts lately, time for a change I think.
    [/quote]
  • End6ame
    Options

Soreness is not a measure of a good workout, I am never sore and and am still making weekly strength gains. I am not a fan of body part splits because you can get a more efficient and effective workout doing full body routines 3x per week using compound muscle exercises. Additionally, I don't support the monthly "change it up" ADD that most litters have. I used StrongLifts 5x5 for about 9+ months and made strength gains every workout. I will likewise by on Madcow 5x5 for about 3-6 months before switching to Wendler's 5/3/1 which I will be on for at least a year. Find a good strength program (not  a bodybuilding program) like any of the ones I mentioned and you will build muscle mass and not need to switch for a while. 

Also note that I already know what weights, sets, and reps I will be performing (theoretically) through Madcow and 5/3/1. You can't have that kind of plan and progress by changing your routine constantly
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Soreness is not a measure of a good workout, I am never sore and and am still making weekly strength gains. I am not a fan of body part splits because you can get a more efficient and effective workout doing full body routines 3x per week using compound muscle exercises. Additionally, I don't support the monthly "change it up" ADD that most litters have. I used StrongLifts 5x5 for about 9+ months and made strength gains every workout. I will likewise by on Madcow 5x5 for about 3-6 months before switching to Wendler's 5/3/1 which I will be on for at least a year. Find a good strength program (not  a bodybuilding program) like any of the ones I mentioned and you will build muscle mass and not need to switch for a while. 

Also note that I already know what weights, sets, and reps I will be performing (theoretically) through Madcow and 5/3/1. You can't have that kind of plan and progress by changing your routine constantly

what does your typical workout look like? you don't do any support exercises?
  • hroush
    Options

Another reason why those are bad is because you are working muscles individually, you can leave out support muscles that will give out quickly under strain, producing an injury. By using one of the programs that grglandr mentions, you only perform compound movements which will strengthen these support muscles as well.
  • End6ame
    Options

I am currently on Madcow which is laid out as follows:

Monday: (Medium)
    - Squats 5x5
    - Bench 5x5
    - Barbell Rows 5x5
    - Pull-ups 3xF
    - Hypers 2xF

Wednesday: (Light)
    - Squats 4x5
    - Press 4x5
    - Deadlift
    - Planks 3x60 seconds

Friday: (Heavy)
    - Squats 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    - Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    - Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    - Dips 3x8
    - Chin-ups 3xF

I all sets are ramped up to a 1x5 of your work weight. On Friday the 1x3 set is the following Mondays work weight and then 1x8 of the weight from your third set. (there is a spreadsheet that does all of the math for you)

I modified the assistance work to suite my weak areas and because it called for bicep curls and triceps extensions on Friday and I prefer compound movements. You can also make it more of an Olympic program by swapping rows for power cleans and deadlifts for high pulls. 
  • JoeyC07
    Options

• JoeyC07
    Options
    well like I said I mix it up a lot..but for example today I did Shoulders and it looked like this..

Seated Military Press 1 warm up 95lbs x 15
    4 working sets 10x135, 8x155, 6x175, 5x185
    seated dumbell arnold press 4sets 8x45, 8x55, 6x60, 6x70
    front db raises 4sets 12x20, 12x20, 8x30, 8x30
    laterall raises same as front
    shrugs 225x12, 245x8

You guys have me thinking ive been spinning my wheels..lol
  • End6ame
    Options
    well like I said I mix it up a lot..but for example today I did Shoulders and it looked like this..

shrugs 225x12, 245x8

No worries man, I used to do a bunch of splits too and got nowhere fast. Then I found StrongLifts and have never looked back. 

What are your current squat, bench and deadlift at?
  • JoeyC07
    Options

shrugs 225x12, 245x8

No worries man, I used to do a bunch of splits too and got nowhere fast. Then I found StrongLifts and have never looked back. 

Im doing some research on the programs you mentioned..Right now my bench is about 305, squat about 315, same for dead lift. I say about because normally I lift alone and to be honest some days I feel like I can go heavier esp w/ squats or dead lifts but im fearfull of injury. I workout early a.m. and a lot of the time im the only one in the gym lifting maybe a few people doing cardio.
  • hroush
    Options
    Im doing some research on the programs you mentioned..Right now my bench is about 305, squat about 315, same for dead lift. I say about because normally I lift alone and to be honest some days I feel like I can go heavier esp w/ squats or dead lifts but im fearfull of injury. I workout early a.m. and a lot of the time im the only one in the gym lifting maybe a few people doing cardio.

Watch the videos on stronglifts and read the "how to ..." pages. I was nervous about doing deadlift because I had never done it before, but now it's my favorite thing to do. Two weeks ago a guy in my gym actually praised me for my great form! Practice failing for squats with an empty bar, huge confidence builder when you know how to do it right. You do the lifts correctly, not only will you probably not injure yourself (things do happen), but you'll build up some much needed strength in key areas to help prevent injury.
  • End6ame
    Options

shrugs 225x12, 245x8

Based upon those numbers and assuming your form is correct (squats are parallel or below) I would recommend either Madcow or 5/3/1. You are a bit ahead or StrongLifts and I don't think you would get much out of starting there. 

To be more specific. I would do a round or two of Madcow and set your 5RM to 75-80% of your current numbers. Then test or calculate your 1RM and start 5/3/1. If you message me your email address, I will send you spreadsheets that I have created to plan out both of these programs. 
  • hroush
    Options

Are those numbers for 5 sets x 5 reps? Are you hitting parallel in squats (your quads parallel with the floor or below)? If you wanted to start out with the stronglifts 5x5, the "accelerated" plan is to start at 50% of your max 5x5. This would help make sure that your form is correct and to introduce you to the program.
  • JoeyC07
    Options

Are those numbers for 5 sets x 5 reps? Are you hitting parallel in squats (your quads parallel with the floor or below)? If you wanted to start out with the stronglifts 5x5, the "accelerated" plan is to start at 50% of your max 5x5. This would help make sure that your form is correct and to introduce you to the program.

My squats are parallel but not below...After reading about the strong lifts program I realized I have actually done this workout or a variaztion in the past..it was part of an in season workout for football..but I will read up some more about the accelerated version..thank you again