How much do you burn by going to the gym?

ohletmebeskinny
ohletmebeskinny Posts: 16
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wondering as I recently signed up for a gym membership and I know the machines aren't accurate or anything but how much do you and can you actually burn by working out in the gym for say, an hour? And how much time should you spend in a day? or in a week?

Replies

• lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    For me, I burn about 300 calories lifting weights for an hour or 1000 calories running for an hour on the treadmill.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    About 40 mins of interval running/jogging/walking at an incline will be about 350 cals burned for me. I guess an hour would be maybe 80 or so more? This is purely on the machine, without a heart rate monitor.

I also never count weight lifting, though. Hope this helps!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I tend to spend between 45 minutes to an hour working out. And I usually average 10 calories burned per minute when I'm doing cardio or a personal training session, a bit less if I take a longer cooldown (like a 5 minute walk on the treadmill at the end). In terms of how many days a week, it varies. Sometimes it's 4 days, sometimes its only 2, but if I don't workout at the gym, I play kickball one night a week and I workout at home the rest (with a rest day or two a week).
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    I usually burn 250-300 meeting my trainer for a half hour (a mix of cardio and weights) and usually an additional 200-300 on the precor or the treadmill for another half hour. Ultimately, it depends on your burn rate, height, weight, intensity, blah blah blah.

Hae you thought about getting a HRM? Mine was only about $30 at Walmart and I love that stupid thing so much :) I'd die without it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    When I walk on the treadmill at an incline of 15% at a speed of 3.0 for 30 minutes my HRM says that I burn between 250-300 calories. If I push harder it could get up to 350.

When I see my trainer twice a month for an hour, my HRM says I burn between 530 and 700 calories(and that is purely weight lifting).

Elliptical I do an interval program and burn about 430 calories according to my HRM.

(Notice the key word here was HRM. I highly suggest you look into one if your concerned about accuracy.)

I spend any where between 30 min and an hour in the gym a day and I go about 4X a week.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    I suggest getting a heart rate monitor cause everyone is different. You are correct about the machines, according to my trainer they are usually about 15% off (at minimum). If you do get one, just make sure it has a chest strap they are more accurate since it keeps a continuously monitors your heart rate.
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    today I walked moderately between 2.6 and 3.1 mph and changing my incline from 2.0 to 4.5 for an hour, I had entered my weight, and my treadmill said I burned about 400 calories - I can't go fasted due to injuries, but for me that is a sweat and my h/r goes up. A pers. trainer told me the bikes are most accurate for calories burned, then the t/ms... as long as you enter your weight...

I find that MFP is very liberal in calories burned, so I trust the gym more...
  • I use a BodyMedia FIT, which ACTUALLY tells me what Im burning. Im F, 5' 8", 155, and burn 500-600/hr cycling or running 6mph.

I get up to 1800 cal/workout tho.. 3+ hr days, 6 days/wk...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I burn over 400 doing 1/5 hour of cardio and 15 minutes of weights or calisthetics
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    I used a heart rate monitor and found the machines to be pretty close to the HRM. I take what the machine tells me (assuming I've been able to input my age and weight) and subtract 15%.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    I spend 30 minutes on weight machines and between 25 and 35 minutes on the elliptical. What you burn doing cardio will vary greatly from person to person depending on age, weight, and your speed.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    It depends what you're doing. I teach fitness classes and burn 350 in a body sculpting (weight lifting) class and 600 - 800 in a step class. When I'm taking the sculpting class is about the same and the step class is more like 500 - 700. Each class is 1 hour.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    How much you burn is completely relative to how much cardio you do. Weight lifting also burns calories. The most accurate way to measure is by using a heart rate monitor.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    I use a BodyMedia FIT, which ACTUALLY tells me what Im burning. Im F, 5' 8", 155, and burn 500-600/hr cycling or running 6mph.

I get up to 1800 cal/workout tho.. 3+ hr days, 6 days/wk...

If I had to choose between a week of sex or a BodyMedia FIT, the Fit wins every time. I love my BodyMedia!
  • HAHA Though... my fiance would NOT agree..
    If I had to choose between a week of sex or a BodyMedia FIT, the Fit wins every time. I love my BodyMedia!
This discussion has been closed.