Spaghetti Squash?

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
442332.jpg?2

I bought one of those beauties up there. I have NEVER made one, I don't even know if I've tried one lol. I saw Hungry Girl make a recipe with it and thought I'd give the veggie a try. I don't want to use her recipe (high in sodium) plus I don't eat red meat/cow.

I'm wondering if you all have recipes for spaghetti squash, if you know the nutritional information also? That would be great! Have you had it stuffed? I've seen recipes where it's stuffed and toasted/baked off in the oven or broiler with cheese on top.

Thanks! (Pictures would be awesome!)

Replies

• bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    My son Ben and I love to have this with a garlic butter sauce. Don't put tomato sauce on it unless you like the sauce watery. (The shreds will leech water after a few minutes.)

I've had it cold and tossed with cooked grilled veggies and Italian salad dressing and it was YUMMY!!
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but have been curious about it cause I saw it on Dr. Oz one day... let us know how it goes!
  • eeeekie
    Options
    My son Ben and I love to have this with a garlic butter sauce. Don't put tomato sauce on it unless you like the sauce watery. (The shreds will leech water after a few minutes.)

I've had it cold and tossed with cooked grilled veggies and Italian salad dressing and it was YUMMY!!

Would baking it make it not watery?
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Love this stuff!!! I only add salt, pepper, and a little of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I use it in my spaghetti for a noodle substitute. I also whip up some chicken breast, garlic, mushrooms and broccoli and a little white sauce and make healthy chicken fettucine. I slice it in half lengthwise, scoop out the guts, put the flesh side down in a 9x13 pan, pour an inch of water in the bottom of the pan, and cook at 375 for 45 minutes. TaDa! Healthy noodles! If you let the strands sit on a paper towel for a few minutes, that absorbs the extra water and it doesn't get watery.
  • StaceyDickinson
    Options
    I LOVE THE KRAFT website....they have fantastic healthy option choices....I mean this is 70 calories and that is with cheese!!

What You Need
    1 large spaghetti squash (3 lb./1.4 kg)
    1/4 cup Kraft 100% Parmesan Light Grated Cheese
    1/2 cup Kraft Part Skim Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
    2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Make It
    PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened, turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
    CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining shell.
    MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.

nutritional information

serving size = 1/2 cup (125 mL)
    per serving

Calories
    Total fat
    2 g
    Saturated fat
    0.5 g
    Cholesterol
    5 mg
    Sodium
    110 mg
    Carbohydrate
    11 g
    Dietary fibre
    2 g
    Sugars
    4 g
    Protein
    3 g
    Vitamin A
    6 %DV
    Vitamin C
    15 %DV
    Calcium
    8 %DV
    Iron
    4 %DV
  • kristygay
    kristygay Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've had it as a literal substitute for Spaghetti. I had it at Ruby Tuesday. It was DELICIOUS! Although the marinara sauce had meat in it, but you could totally omit that!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I recommend cutting it first. It's no fun to cut a VERY hot squash.
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    As mentioned by others, I use it as a spaghetti, yum! I love how easy it is to bake (I usually half it and then bake them face down on the tray). Tastes better in my opinion, and mixing it with veggies and a low sodium tomato sauce= a delicious meal that gets lots of veggies into your diet, is high in fiber and vitamins and low in fat/starchy carbs! :)
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options

Would baking it make it not watery?

I've baked it, steamed it, and microwaved it - it is watery a bit after it's cooked no matter how I made it. I like it best baked (cut in half lengthwise and cut sides down on a pan greased/sprayed).
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE KRAFT website....they have fantastic healthy option choices....I mean this is 70 calories and that is with cheese!!

What You Need
    Make It
    PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened, turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.
    CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining shell.

nutritional information

per serving

Calories
    Total fat
    2 g
    Saturated fat
    0.5 g
    Cholesterol
    5 mg
    Sodium
    110 mg
    Carbohydrate
    11 g
    Dietary fibre
    2 g
    Sugars
    4 g
    Protein
    3 g
    Vitamin A
    6 %DV
    Vitamin C
    15 %DV
    Calcium
    8 %DV
    Iron
    4 %DV

I think you found a recipe I've been looking for. :D
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    Here is a recipe from my blog: Indian Curry Chicken with Spaghetti Squash: http://newbeautifulme.blogspot.com/2010/10/indian-curry-chicken-with-grated-squash.html (Lots of pictures)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash as a side dish. I saute garlic in cooking spray and after microwaving the squash (cut in half and put face down in a dish with a bit of water in it), scrape out the insides, mix in garlic, some sea salt and ground pepper. Stir it up and you have a side dish that is really tasty and very low in calories. One important note, do NOT overcook the squash. It should have some firmness to it. If you overcook i, it gets mushy and soggy.
  • eeeekie
    Options
    All these sound so delicious! I can't wait to make it on Friday!!! I'll let you all know how it turns out.
  • Mandakat17
    Mandakat17 Posts: 105
    Options
    bump
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from this site, on the message boards somewhere, and just finished off the last of it tonight!

Speghetti Squash with Feta and Tomato
    1 speghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    2 tbsp veg. oil
    1 onion chopped
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    3 tbsp sliced black olives
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease baking sheet. Place squash cut sides down on baking sheet and bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool enough to be handled. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. saute onion in oil till tender. add garlic, and saute 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook just till tomatoes are warm

Use large spoon to scoop pulp from squash and place in medium bowl. Toss with sauted veggies, cheese, olives and basil. Serve warm
    6 servings, 147 calories
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    True Kitchen spaghetti squash recipes is outstanding! Check MFP recipes to see if you can find it. Some prep work, but SO worth it!:glasses:
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

What You Need
    Make It

nutritional information

per serving

Calories
    Total fat
    2 g
    Saturated fat
    0.5 g
    Cholesterol
    5 mg
    Sodium
    110 mg
    Carbohydrate
    11 g
    Dietary fibre
    2 g
    Sugars
    4 g
    Protein
    3 g
    Vitamin A
    6 %DV
    Vitamin C
    15 %DV
    Calcium
    8 %DV
    Iron
    4 %DV

AMAZING!! totally making this sometime this week :)
  • eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Check out my dinner....Thats what I had tonight! I'm sooooo full it's ridiculous!