30 day shred rant

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Does anyone else think the 30 day shred is a total waste of time? I just went through it with my new heart rate monitor and in 25 minutes burned a pathetic 125 calories. I probably could have burned the same doing some of the insane amount of housework I need to do, and achieved something rather than wasting half an hour.

I am quite cross.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I did the 30-day Shred for 30 straight days, and nothing else, and although my cals burned never seemed like a lot, I lost over 10 inches on my body and almost 7 pounds, so I couldn't complain!
  • Addison2409
    Addison2409 Posts: 104
    Options
    I think you burn more than that, I always got 300 calories. But I'm on level 3
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Oh No! I bought it, but life kind of imploded on me last week and have yet to be able to give it a try! Maybe I should do that tonight and see what my HRM says as well??
  • lindsayfranke
    lindsayfranke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred? I haven't tried that one, but I have tried her Wii games and found them to be terrible and her protein powder as well.... It doesn't shake well.

I don't think any of her products are winners honestly....

Consider P90X 90 days to be shredded or even Insanity - that's only 60 days
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    what level were you doing? Maybe you need to switch up. I did the beginner level for the first time last week and thought I was going to die. Now, I am horrifically out of shape, but I still think it can be a very effective workout.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I quit doing it after I purchased an HRM too. Disappointing. It would probably help if I purchased some heavier hand weights, but I guess I can go to the gym and make use of my $35/mo there. I still do it from time to time if I just need a quick something to feel like I worked out for the day. I think I end up burning about 225 with Level 2.
  • fteale
    Options
    I only do it on days I am not running and don't have circuits, so I don't feel I do it often enough to move up levels, I am also doing it with very heavy weights (6.6 lbs). Maybe I should just switch levels. I don't feel like it's doing anything other than hurting my knees. The classes I do are a lot more hardcore.
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My HRM has low calorie counts too. However, I've seen on so many peoples posts about 30DS that they have lost weight and inches doing only 30DS. That's what I'm counting on...we'll see...
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Yes, but cleaning will not give you the same end result as 30DS will.

give it time, and add something else into your day for more calorie burning. Go for a walk or a jog. Do some extra jumping jacks or buy yourself a jump rope (they have them for under $10 on amazon.com).
    If you have machines at home, use them.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    yea I'm only burning 190-230 calories, but mucels burns fat all day long! stick with it, and watch your body tighten up
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I got great results with this workout. Definitely saw definition in just a couple of weeks. It might not burn a ton of calories off the bat but it's a great quick and dirty workout that produces results. Works for me!
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I only burn up to 210 cals and that is for level 2, the other levels I only burns in the 100's but I have to say i notice a huge difference with my body!! I have dropped 5 pounds in 30 days, i only have 5 left to my goal so I think that's why I didn't lose more but the definition difference I see in my butt, arms, etc is definitely worth it!! I am continuing to do it beyond 30 days until I can complete allt he work outs with 5 pound weights then I am going to incorporate her other videos to try the slimdown program I have heard so much about.
  • spaztastic13
    spaztastic13 Posts: 229
    Options
    The thing about 30 day shred or any excercise is we all burn different cals when i do the 30 DS i burn 317 cuz im bigger compared to smaller people who burn less cals!!!!!
  • Andeenero
    Andeenero Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the 30 Day Shred is a great way to get into exercise. Since its 20 minutes, its easy to fit into your schedule and, at its most grueling, you can always remind yourself that your daily session will be over in a few minutes. Also, even if it doesn't burn a whole ton of calories, it does make you more in tune with your body. You start to notice muscles which you would normally have paid no attention to and I felt myself getting stronger in general. I think that being in touch with your body is an important step in growing self-love which is what losing weight/getting into shape is all about!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I want to get it, haven't yet. I have heard great things about it though. What level are you on?
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was discourage with the number of calories that I burned also; however, after doing it, I toned up a lot more than if I would've have spent the same amount of time on something that burns more calories (like say on an elliptical). It's worth a shot. Give it at least 3 weeks (I did it 5x a week) and if you don't notice results, then I'd say try something else! : ) Hope that helps!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    OHHHH NOOOO!!!!

I just finished Day 29. I have to say that for the first few days, I was burning, like nearly 300 calories in the 26 minutes. Now, I'm down to less than 200. Which kind of stinks in a way.

The parts that don't stink are:

1. I can get up off the floor without looking like a drunk potato bug.
    2. I can do the ENTIRE 30 minute shred level one or two all the way through without stopping.
    3. At first I hurt in places I didn't even know I HAD muscles. Now, I am strong in places I didn't even know I had muscles.

So, as far as the calorie count goes, yeah, it's a bit of a bummer to see it go down each time. I guess that's part of the whole getting more fit dealio. But seeing as how I am so much stronger than I was 30 Days ago ... I don't know, I guess it's an overall win.
  • fteale
    Options
    Yes, but cleaning will not give you the same end result as 30DS will.

give it time, and add something else into your day for more calorie burning. Go for a walk or a jog. Do some extra jumping jacks or buy yourself a jump rope (they have them for under $10 on amazon.com).
    If you have machines at home, use them.

Lack of exercise is not my problem. I am very fit, I run 10 k 2 or 3 times a week and do 3 very hardcore circuits classes. I only do the 30 DS on my days off. I am just disappointed the burn is so low.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love it! I just completed day 9 of level 2 today and HRM calculated 246 calories...its all how intense I push it :) im seeing great results even though I complained at 1st because my abs were never sore...but they are definitely becoming more defined!
  • MirandaGoins
    Options
    I am on day 2 of level 1 and my HRM said i burned off 245 calories. Then again I am using 5 lbs weights and literally giving it my all. I feel like im about to keel over after each one work out.