How do you do it during the week? I need some time managemen

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Ok soccer moms, football moms, hockey moms, ballet moms...what are your time management skills? I almost had a heart attack trying to figure out how to feed the kid before football practice at 5:30. Do you make all your food on Sunday night?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My son is grown now, but we did soccer and baseball, both, for years. We often went from school soccer practice to club soccer practice or baseball games. Craziness! And I only have the one kid, I can't imagine doing all of that with more than one!

The crockpot was my best friend. Also cooking some things ahead over the weekend helped a bunch. We probably ate too much fast food back then, too.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    yeah that's what my sister said...picnics in the back of the truck...crock pots...we literally have 45 minutes to get from school, home to eat and to the football field
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not a soccer mom but my time is limited during the week. I cook every Sunday to set myself up for the week.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I'm not a soccer mom but my time is limited during the week. I cook every Sunday to set myself up for the week.

just things like chicken breasts, maybe chili, stews, things like that?
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, we are busy as well. I get home from work about 4pm, then when we have activities, we do sandwiches, or we back chicken in the oven, sometimes I make chicken in the crockpot.
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have 3, all of them do different sports and my hubby is a workaholic so I do it all by myself. I am a stay at home mom so I have time to do it all in the morning cause once I pick the 1st one up it gets pretty hectic. When I was working I would pre-package salad and make meals that are easy and fast. Our meat market has lots of different meats that are prepared and just need to be cooked so I always do some of that with either steamed veggies, mashed potatoes, beans, rice, salad, macaroni, or stuffing all those sides are quick to make so the main thing is the meats.. If I needed to prep the meat I would do it the day before.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cooking on the weekends - some times I'll make two huge meals in the crockpot and we have leftovers all week. Or other times I'll make a BUNCH of homemade turkey meatballs and put them in the freezer. I also make homemade tv dinners with leftovers. Rubbermaid makes some containers that are like a portioned out plate and that works out pretty well.

This last weekend we BBQ'd a BUNCH of food (chicken, steak, hot dogs, etc...) so we've been having leftovers all week for dinner. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but am busy nonetheless. I make food in advance when time permits then freeze it in portions. It makes a quick heat and eat meal on busy nights. Any pasta dish freezes well, soups, stews, fully cooked meat (meatballs, shredded chicken for tacos or burritos, etc.).
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd have some quick frozen leftovers ready to go (this can come from any previous meal I had in the last week, or do a meal in the crockpot so it is ready to go as soon as you get home. Sometimes we do soup and sandwich nights and those take minutes to make.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well...I have two kids and I know how hard it can be to get everything in. My son is an insanely picky eater (the stories I could tell!) and he used to OBSESS about what we were having for dinner every day. So, I started planning what we would eat for dinner all week on Sunday nights. I write it down and post it on the fridge. This helps him and it helps me. I grocery shop on Mondays and since I already know what we are eating for the week then it makes me more organized for the shopping and I have fewer "emergency" trips to the store. It also helps me plan for those days where we have activities. Right now my kids have swimming on Tues/Thurs and we get home around 6:30 so those days are always crock pot or left over days.

It is really amazing to me how much time 30 mins. of planning on Sunday saves me. I am not saying that we don't occasionally resort to Pizza or McDonalds but it is far less frequently and generally planned for because I can't see any other way to make dinner work.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i have 3 kids under 5, and trying to get them to eat before it's bedtime can be nightmarish.
    i'll make a massive pot of mac cheese (with some cauli mash mixed in for vitamins sake), and we'll eat that and put half in the freezer. we do the same with chili and spaghetti bolognase sauces (so we only have to do rice or pasta).
    we do alot of crock pot stuff in winter.
    but my kids love things like baked beans with cheese mixed in on toast. super fast. and they do get 2 minute noodles or cereal for tea sometimes!
    other things i make are tuna pasta- cook pasta, get a big tin of tuna, one of sweetcorn and some low fat mayo- mix together and voila! you can do the same with tuna and sweet chili sauce on rice.
    and sausages are always handy- we cook a load of them at once, then the kids can snack on them and stuff.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    We do pancakes in the rush before soccer, then have savoury pancakes for 'dinner' when we get back in.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Oh that's a good one, maybe i can make a bunch of them and then toast them before games