Flexibility?

rococo11
rococo11 Posts: 49 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion for gaining flexibility, especially in the legs? I have tried yoga and detest it, not because it doesn't work but it bores me to tears, both tapes and classes. Currently I am trying to do stretches daily but I don't notice any improvement. Any good stretches, tapes, or anything?

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Unfortunately, the only way to increase flexibility is to "flex". You have just keep stretching and pushing your stretches. There is no short cut.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Warm up before you stretch, the warmer you are the more stretchy your muscles. Get into a stretch and hold it for 10 seconds then stretch a bit more. Keep doing it. I like to sit on the floor and stretch when I'm watching a film or something, it's less boring that way. Or whilst listening to good music at the gym after my workout.
    I hate yoga too, love, it's actually makes me so agitated and bored! So don't worry you're not alone! ;)
  • dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    I didn't start noticing increased flexibility until I was stretching both morning and night. Stretching multiple times a day will help. And you'll want to try and stretch farther each time. Don't hurt yourself by going too far, just try to reach a little bit farther.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    When I used to do ballet we always got told to bounce. So for example of you're trying to do the splits you'd bounce and try to go lower. Idk how good for your muscles this actually is but its pretty effective. And repetition is key.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Try a more upbeat yoga class, it's the ONLY thing I've found that helps. Do a hot yoga or power yoga class, it'll move A LOT and your muscles will get WARM and you can stretch like craaaaaaaazy.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    When I used to do ballet we always got told to bounce. So for example of you're trying to do the splits you'd bounce and try to go lower. Idk how good for your muscles this actually is but its pretty effective. And repetition is key.

At the risk of offending, never, ever, ever bounce. It is dangerous and causes injuries. Stretch as far as you can without pain. Hold that stretch stable for 30 to 60 seconds. Try to go further next time. NEVER BOUNCE.
This discussion has been closed.