Tired of "looking good... for someone who just had a baby!"

Options
I had a beautiful baby boy 7 weeks ago today, and while he was TOTALLY worth the 50 pounds and 50,000(ish) stretch marks, I am so unhappy in this body. (I know I can't expect much 7 weeks postpartum, but I had that RIDICULOUS idea in my head that I would walk out of the hospital in my pre-maternity size. lol)
I am 5'4" and weighed around 140 before I got pregnant. I was more or less happy at that size.. I've never *really* been happy with my body but now that "overweight" has been put in perspective, I would be ecstatic to be 140 again!! I was 189.2 the day I delivered, and as of this morning I am 167.2. I guess I can assume that at 7 weeks postpartum, I've lost all the weight that is going to fall off on its own. (Not breastfeeding.)
For the past week (since I was cleared to exercise) I have found that all I do is sit around and complain about how fat I am. I'm clearly not going to lose any weight THAT way!! But how am I supposed to find the time/energy to exercise with a newborn!? Where there's a will, there's a way...? Then why am I still sitting on my couch with the laptop in my lap and a doughnut in my hand? (Ok, I exaggerate.)
For those of you that have babies, how did you get your body back? DID you get your body back? I'm 25 and don't want to be trying to lose the "baby weight" when I'm 45 so I need to take care of this now!
Quick, somebody motivate me!!

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i was 31 when i gave birth. i gained almost 50 pounds too, and i am vegan and ate really healthy too, i dropped down to about 190(i got up to 215 or so) within 2 months, i was 165 when i started out. Because I was lazy I didnt exercise. I did eat better so i dropped another 10 pounds in another year. I finally got off my butt and started doing zumba and now im 15 pounds lower than i started. i just had to believe in myself. i had no self-esteem at all, but i have it now. just believe in yourself and if you need any encouragement feel free to friend me. good luck.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    also cut yourself some slack. you just had a baby 7 weeks ago.
  • Triathlongirl1
    Options
    Well, I promise you that you can do it!! I've had 3 boys and gained anywhere from 50-80 lbs with them. I'm in better shape now than I ever was and I was always pretty trim before. There are 2 important things to remember #1 is diet. You can exercise all day but if you're eating the right kinds of food and the right amounts nothing will change. The other thing is consistency with working out. You have a little one so I know it's hard to find the time so for now just do your best and you'll find it gets easier over time! You can do this!! :smile:
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am currently working on getting rid of the pregnancy weight from my second child. I would be happy for you to add me, and I can help you throughout your journey. :)
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The weight just fell off, i breasfed for 3 weeks...it was only 22 pounds though, But I think a WII is a great way, thats how i exercised with my baby last year in may when she was born, she could sleep or be in her swing while i do a quick round of boxing, yoga, or just dance. it works =) Or put in a stroller and go for a walk, pack a bottle or two and bring your diaper bag. I guess I dont understand about how hard it is to get out and exercise with a newborn, you just have to want to do it, good luck!
    ps: i was told i had an unusually amazingly good baby, lol.

EDIT, 60% diet, 40% exercise=the way to lose weight!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was 25 when my first was born. I gained 50+ lbs due to not being able to do much and had a premie. After a good round of PPD, I put him in a stroller and went to the mall to walk where the weather was controlled. This is much easier with babies, toddlers whine, older kids beg....so use this tactic while it might actually work. LOL

I would put him in the pack n play and he would watch me do workout videos. It was probably comedy for a baby.

But be kind, your body needs usually 3 months to really get somewhere. I know some do it faster, but those are metabolically magic people anyway. I can say that even though I had been smaller after two kids than I had been since high school, but everything is in a different shape.
  • PandaFAmBAm
    PandaFAmBAm Posts: 111
    Options
    Hey first of all let me say after having a baby you body hips everything changes. I had a baby over 2 years ago and am still tyring to come to terms that my clothes don't fit the same. Before I had my son I was about 125. I went up to about 145 when I had him. I am around 129 and clothes still fit strange I am trying to get down to 115 which was about what I was when I first meet my hubby. I have friends who have gotten bellow their pre baby weight and they say clothes just dont fit the same. I would HIGHLY suggest BFing as it totally helped me shead baby weight....I think I was fitting into pre baby clothes about a month after he was born
  • Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did after having my babies was to walk everyday somewhere just anywhere.
    pack some things for your baby and away you go..
    good luck