Struggling to eat more on workout days

Options
2»

Replies

• RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    I've heard that chocolate milk is a good recovery drink after a workout. It's a lot less expensive than going out and getting "the good stuff" too.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've heard that chocolate milk is a good recovery drink after a workout. It's a lot less expensive than going out and getting "the good stuff" too.

Uh, not if your trying to build muscle its not.

Maybe if you mix some Whey into it, but it'll be like 500 calories, so you better be trying to gain.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think planning is the key. Eat a decent breakfast and lunch and then if you don't work out you can just lighten up your dinner a little and you won't be over your calories.
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options

Uh, not if your trying to build muscle its not.

Maybe if you mix some Whey into it, but it'll be like 500 calories, so you better be trying to gain.

Here's a study:
    https://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/

An interesting snipet from the article: "Ivy's research also revealed that low-fat chocolate milk drinkers built more muscle and shaved off more fat during training, ending up with a three-pound lean muscle advantage after four and a half weeks of training as compared to study participants who consumed a carbohydrate drink."

The thing is, OP didn't really specify her goals past getting out of a platue that was brought on by her new exercise regimen because she's not eating her calories back. Chocolate milk is a legitemate option for her. Not only does it give her back some calories but it also helps her recover quicker from her workout. There are a lot of resources out there to support chocolate milk as a post-workout recovery drink.

Also, 500 cals for chocolate milk is being a little ridiculous. I'm not saying to go out and buy whole chocolate milk that's loaded with tons of sugar. A nice option is Horizon Organic's 1% Organic Chocolate Lowfat Milk. At 150 cals per serving (1 cup), it really isn't the devil you're making it out to be.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think I'll start eating cotton. Worked for my mom when she was a prima ballerina. =\

I had a friend that swore by ice chips with a dash of splenda. To me it sounds like more effort than it was worth, but it is probably a little better than eating cotton. But from my expert status on ballet (having watched Black Swan), I am not sure that one should take dietary tips from ballet dancers. :)

--Carter