Ran a mile as fast as I could...

or atleast as fast as I think I could.... 7:15. Want to get faster so I can run the mile race here in a 6wks. What kind of speedwork should I do my fellow runners??? I'd like to be between 6 and 6:30...its that reasonable????

thanks all!!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I don't know but Congratulations you sound really happy.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Faster than me! Kudos!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Working on speedwork is a good start. Part of what can happen when you train for distance running is that you get out of the habit of running fast. So, running sprints can re-train your body on speed.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    I can't definitely say no, but quality speedwork isn't something that happens overnight. Or even in 6 weeks before an event. It takes your body from 7-10 days of any workout to feel the full benefits of it....running-wise. So, you actually have essentially 4.5-5 weeks to make it happen. Almost no speed related work that you do after that should have any positive effect on your race.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Training and genetics are the two pieces of the puzzle.

You need a couple things training-wise: speed and endurance.

I'd try to some 1/2 mile repeats (not to much rest in between, maybe 90 seconds) and see how those goes.
    Mile repeats are helpful as well (3 x 1 mile with 2:00 jogs).

Also, in general, the more miles you run the better.

Maybe one day a week of fartleks (unstructured pace changes on your run = fast to the oak tree, medium to the telephone pole, easy to the pick up truck, etc.).

As for whether or not you can run 6:00 - 6:30, no clue.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Wow, that is REALLY fast.. lol My husband does 2 miles in about 15 min. but he does it for PT not seeing how fast he can go. He says he wants to shed a least 1 min. off and he used to do 2 miles in 13 min. I would say you are going great! LoL.