Exercise opinions...

Options
I need some advice... I tend to get on an exercise roll, then I get bored with doing the same thing on a daily basis. So I thought about creating a monthly schedule of different activities for each day. The workouts would include; elliptical, 30 day shred, wii dance workout, wii just dance, wii rumba, my bowling league, and walking. Would it still work if I wasn't consistent? Any advice greatly needed and wanted...

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    oh I get bored easily-- I work out differently all the time. of course the new buzz word in exercise is muscle confusion--so I think changing up your routine is a good idea
  • rissyroo2002
    rissyroo2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I believe changing things up keeps the body guessing and is a good idea. If you do the same thing over and over, the body will get used to it and you will not get the results you did in the beginning. I change my workout routine every few weeks, and I make them harder and longer too.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    What do you do for exercise that you get bored with?
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It would probably work better. If you do the same thing over and over your body gets more efficient at the task and burns fewer calories. By mixing up your exercise routine you are likely to see better progress.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, and that is why (in part) my weight loss has failed in the past.. I get bored really easy and don't keep up with it... I do pretty much the same... switch it up with different things, 1. to keep my body guessing, and 2. so I don't get bored...

I do a mix of dance workouts, with fast walking, with pilates, to circuit training... I do the harder stuff and the the next day when I am sore I do the lighter stuff.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I need some advice... I tend to get on an exercise roll, then I get bored with doing the same thing on a daily basis. So I thought about creating a monthly schedule of different activities for each day. The workouts would include; elliptical, 30 day shred, wii dance workout, wii just dance, wii rumba, my bowling league, and walking. Would it still work if I wasn't consistent? Any advice greatly needed and wanted...

It should work with the constant changing. Your body needs variety every day so it doesn't get complacent and hit a plateau...confuse it with different types, different lengths and different intensity...
  • amy29fan
    amy29fan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What do you do for exercise that you get bored with?
    for instance I started the just dance, after a week I hated it. Then I started the dance workout, lost interest. Same with the 30 day shred. I get going then I burn out.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ultimately you have to be honest with yourself (sounds like you are) and do whatever works. There are strengths and weaknesses to every plan--and most plans--even if not textbook "perfect", can be effective if you have the right focus. Consistency can be achieved in different ways -- it doesn't mean doing the same thing every day.

The challenge of a routine such as yours will be maintaining an effective exercise intensity and putting in enough exercise minutes. By changing activities so frequently you run the risk of never becoming proficient enough at any of them, and your exercise effectiveness may suffer. Despite the current fad jargon surrounding the term "muscle confusion", frequent and semi-random changes in exercise activities can be counterproductive.

However, any "shortcomings" in a particular program can be minimized by one's individual effort. As you progress through your program, remember to stay focused on the basics--trying to maintain an appropriate intensity (50%-80% of max), frequency (4-5 days/wk average) and duration (30-60 min). Use some days (like elliptical days) to do some interval-type training, and try to maintain consistency of effort during the "games".

You may find after a while that exercise becomes more enjoyable and you can trim down the number of different activities a little.

Good luck.