Questions about Weight Lifting

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
I just started adding lifting into my workout routine. Every other day I do cardio by running on the treadmill for 30 minutes and do weightlifting circuits for 30 minutes. On the alternate day I do cardio only for 60 minutes. My problem is I don't feel like the weight lifting works me out as hard as the running. My heart rate does not stay up hardly at all. And yes, I put in a lot of effort. I do medium to low weights at 2 25 rep intervales. I do not want to bulk up. I personally do not want to have the muscle definition like Jillian Michaels.

I need a little education please. My questions are:

1. Why exactly is lifting necessary? (especially for those who do not want to bulk)
2. What does it do for the body?
3. Is it normal to not have your heart rate go up or stay up like when I run?
4. Is the schedule that I wrote above ok or should I be doing some thing different?

Any lifting info is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    It's important to build muscle. It is very difficult for women to bulk up by lifting regular weights.
    I like this photo that shows the difference between body building women and regular women who lift weights: http://i.imgur.com/nj1UJ.jpg
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, most women don't have enough testosterone to actually bulk up. Lifting weights builds muscle, which in turn burns calories. If you attend a gym, try to see if they have a body pump class. That will teach you to lift weights properly and show you how to keep your heart rate up while doing it. Shoot for endurance rather than large amounts of weight. Trust me, 10 lbs will start to weigh a lot when you're fatiguing your muscles. If you're just on the gym floor, switch between 2 different weight exercises each round. 1 round should be "pushing" and one "pulling" (i.e. 1 set of chest press (which is pushing the weight away from you) and alternated with 1 set of bicep curls (pulling the weight up)). Do 15 or 20 of each, then walk around the gym twice, and come back and do it again. I usually do 3 sets of 15-20 reps. This is called circuit training - which is different than plain lifting and will keep your heart rate up.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Weight lifting IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR WOMEN.You Decrease Your Risk Of Osteoporosis.
    Research has found that weight training can increase spinal bone mineral density (and enhance bone modeling) by 13 percent in six months. This, coupled with an adequate amount of dietary calcium, can be a women's best defense against osteoporosis.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    One thing....running is an aerobic exercise and weight lifting in anaerobic ...your heart rate will not stay up as long as if you were running. Unless you are doing super interval training and non-stop constantly lifting then you would cross into the aerobic. Weight training is necessary to create lean muscle, which in turns uses calories/fat for fuel throughout the day...
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I just read a blog on here about lifting; my guess is you want to do higher reps for endurance?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Grglandr/view/weight-training-guide-116508

Also, I know that lifting helps raise your metabolism throughout the day and even at night while you're sleeping. So even though it might not raise your heart rate "in the moment" it promotes weight loss/maintenance by revving up your metabolism.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have seen a drastic difference in my body since lifting weights. Even without dropping lbs I have lost inches and scultped and defined areas you cannot without lifting. To keep my heart rate up I do circuits of 3 sets of 15 or 20 and move fast with very very short periods of rest but I dont know that your heart rate will be as high as a cardio workout. Also I do a 10 min warm up and then lift followed by cardio after the weights. This is what all of the trainers I have had have recommended and its worked so far. :-)
  • mywaytobeingfit
    mywaytobeingfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting has a lot of benefits and it is good to do in the schedule you have set.

I personally on weight lifting days. I started out with a run on the treadmill for 5 - 10 minutes depending on my mood. Then I start doing weight lifting with machines. When I notice my heart rate going doing. I do the row with the pulleys, but instead of sitting on the bench I squat over the bench. Your body has to work hard and brings the heart rate up. Then I'll move to other machines you sit at. When my heart rate goes down I either hop back on the treadmill for 5 or so minutes, go on the stair climber or I use a machine that compensates your weight and do pull ups. When I get close to the end of my workout and don't feel like hoping back on the treadmill I do squats in between machines. The squats in between machines is really effect and my butt and thighs really feel it.

Hope that helps. I try to keep my heart rate up in the high 80% area and then I'm getting the same workout I would if I were jogging on the treadmill. I sometimes have to slow it down when I get into the 90% area.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Oh so much information to give, but I'll try:

I think you may not feel like you're working as hard because you probably need to lift heavier weights. Try to do 2-3 sets with 8-12 reps. If you can't get 8 reps in a set, the weight is too heavy, if you can do more than 12, it's too light. You should try to lift as heavy as you can.

Women don't have the testosterone to bulk up like men - trust me! I've been TRYING VERY HARD to put some lean muscle mass on my body, lifting as heavy as I can and I don't look anything like Jillian (though I'd like to). I realize you said you don't want this definition. Well, consider this. If you ever feel you are getting too bulky, just stop lifting and let your muscles atrophy away into nothing - that should be pretty easy to do!

Why is lifting necessary? So many reasons - strengthens your muscles AND bones (prevent osteoporosis), muscle is going to burn fat, help you maintain your weight. Strengthening your muscles helps you release growth hormone which helps you stay looking younger, longer (plus many other health benefits).

If you lift heavy weights, your heart rate WILL go up. Yes it will come down when you rest between sets, BUT the NICE thing about weight lifting is that your metabolism will be revved up for 24-48 hours after lifting and in that period of time you will burn MORE calories than you would have by investing that work-out time in steady state cardio.

I recommend strength training 3x/week with a rest day (or cardio interval day) between weight training days. A good work-out will utilize whole body movements to work many muscle groups at once (major muscles with minor muscles) to maximize burn and work-out efficiency. And you can accomplish health benefits in as little as 45 minutes.

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler which clearly explains the benefits of lifting heavy, dispels myths, and lays out a fabulous workout plan that can be completed in 45 minutes. The book is about $10 on Amazon.

Again, don't worry about bulking up - women who do eat very specialized diets and train, VERY, VERY hard.
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options
    Also here is a great link for a total body strength training work-out plan!

http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options
    It's important to build muscle. It is very difficult for women to bulk up by lifting regular weights.
    I like this photo that shows the difference between body building women and regular women who lift weights: http://i.imgur.com/nj1UJ.jpg

OMGoodness! I :heart: this link!!!! I bookmarked it to share with others in the future! Thanks!!!!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options

OMGoodness! I :heart: this link!!!! I bookmarked it to share with others in the future! Thanks!!!!

First, Thank you so much for this picture link! It is an awesome visual education tool and I am a visual learner.

2nd, thank you WifeMomDVM for all of the info you gave. I am definitely going to look into getting that book.