What time of day would you consider "right" to stop eating

Options
2»

Replies

• Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    just wondering what would you consider reasonable time to have dinner and stop having snacks?
    I've been told eating late as Hispanic families tend to do makes it easier to gain weight...
    Wanted to know if it was true? Thanks for your opinions :)

Myth, myth, myth!!! It does not matter when you stop eating as long as you are within your allotted calories for the day....you'd be surprised how many calories you burn just while sleeping! Eat when you are hungry & have the calories to do so...the end.

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/TherapeuticCenters/WeightManagement.aspx?ChunkID=156995
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I stop eating.... (drum roll please).... when I reach my goal. Who cares what the clock says?

Me too!

Me THREE!! If I have food available, I still eat!! I make sure I have all of my fruits, veggies, protein in for the day, then I will have a fun snack, skinny cow ice cream, popcorn, or a pb2/sugarfree sandwich......I usually eat my snack between 8:30 and 9 and go to bed at 10. I get up at 5 am to work out.....
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    When you fall asleep.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this... as I am usually eating my night time snack AS I am getting into bed.

Lol, me too! :)
  • blockhead922
    Options
    I would suggest about 2-3 hours before you go to bed. Food should be almost completely out of your system by the time you go to bed because while you're asleep your body needs to use it's energy to do things like boost your growth hormone, leptin, and ghrelin levels ((all good things when you're asleep)). If you still have food in your system then your body won't get a significant amount of time to go through those super important hormone surges.
    ---- I read Jillian Michael's MASTER YOUR METABOLISM and that's what she said haha
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    I would suggest about 2-3 hours before you go to bed. Food should be almost completely out of your system by the time you go to bed because while you're asleep your body needs to use it's energy to do things like boost your growth hormone, leptin, and ghrelin levels ((all good things when you're asleep)). If you still have food in your system then your body won't get a significant amount of time to go through those super important hormone surges.
    ---- I read Jillian Michael's MASTER YOUR METABOLISM and that's what she said haha

It takes a lot longer that 2-3 hours for food to be out of your system. It really depends on what you have eaten for how fast food digests. It could be 2-3 or it could be 6, 8, 10 or more hours.
  • kathy1117
    kathy1117 Posts: 27
    Options
    ive always been told 4 hours b4 u go 2 bed
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    ive always been told 4 hours b4 u go 2 bed

I keep reading that this kind of thing is a myth. If I had to stop eating four hours before bed I wouldn't get any dinner.
    Find what fits into your schedule and calories allowance and don't be worried about myths.
  • Dimplez1518
    Options
    Yeah I sleep around that time but im going to try to cut back the time I have dinner with time.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It really depends when you go to bed -- my general rule is no later than 2 hours before expected sleep time.
    So.. I eat breakfast around 7:30 every morning and finish my last bite of food by 7 (on a good day), more likely 8:30 though... those chocolate cravings really like to creep up ;P
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat 3 seconds before bed or 3 hours before bed is irrelevant assuming your calories/macros are the same. Period.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    just wondering what would you consider reasonable time to have dinner and stop having snacks?
    I've been told eating late as Hispanic families tend to do makes it easier to gain weight...
    Wanted to know if it was true? Thanks for your opinions :)
    Going to plan to eat earlier and have fruits if in need of a late night snack !

Without reading everyone else's responses I will just tell you what I do.

For me, the best time to stop eating is whenever I have finished getting all my necessary calories...it might be a couple hours before bed, it might be while I am lying in bed winding down with the TV on. Doesn't seem to make any difference at all in my weight loss. I have never "gained weight" from eating right before bed.