Birthday and BBQ

Options
Alright so this weekend my beautiful little nephew turns one and there will be a Bbq to celebrate. Some of his relatives are having a party and obviously some of my family will be there as well. I really haven't told my family that I'm on this weight loss journey, nor do I want to actually. I'm assuming it is going to be the usual food there; hotdogs, hamburgers, macaroni and potato salads, chips with dips...and of course cake. You know the deal right?

How do I even tackle this? I don't think even eating a small portion of that food is going to do me any good, and I really don't want it. I'm not sure about bringing my own food. Showing up with a vegetable burger or something maybe? I don't want to be rude to the host and shun her meals bringing my own food like a snob! GAH! Anyhow, I'm wondering if I should just eat lunch at home, and try to fly under the radar when I'm there..maybe bring a veggie platter to be sure I have something to snack on. Suggestions?

Replies

• Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Bring a healthy side. I usually bring a large salad and all the fixins with different dressing for everyone. Pick the leanest protein, make a big salad, and maybe a bit of potato salad. You won't look like a snob, you will be contributing to the meal and helping out!
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I almost always pack my own food for these type of things.Like you, I use to I feel bad, like I was going to offend the host, but at this point, most people now expect me to bring my own food. I didn't hurt anyone's feeling by not eating their food. Most people will be supportive and compliment your will power; which, in turn, will give you even more motivation! :)
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Go with the tried and true method of filling up on the good for you things from home before you go to the party. Drink plenty of water while there and just take a sampling of the healthiest options offered. If anybody tries to push more food your way just tell them you don't seem to have much of an appetite for what ever reason that day. Taking a veggie tray is also a good idea! Have fun!!
  • girlygirl761
    girlygirl761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have lots of these family events coming too so I understand where you're coming from. If I try to say no to the food that is being offered everyone makes a big deal about it. As soon as I say that I'm trying to eat healthy, they try to push food on me to see if my willpower will crack. What I've learned to do is fill up half the plate with fruits & veggies. I also accept the hot dog or hamburger and eat only half. When its time for B-day cake, I take a piece but only eat a few bites. No one seems to notice if you accept the food but don't eat it all.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My husbands family has lots of BBQs and I usually bring a turkey burger for them to grill for me, or chicken kabobs (enough to share if others want) and a big bowl of chopped fruit or a fruit bouquet. Everyone can enjoy the food and I get to enjoy some healthy choices!
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    work out before you go, eat a healthy breakfast and snack high in fiber before you go. You can use your exercise calories for things like burgers or birthday cake..and than fill the rest of your plate with salad or veggies... you can fit in fun foods if you plan it out right!