Darn You, Belly Fat!!

Options
This is probably TMI, but I'm going to grin and bear it, and write it out: I've lost over 40 pounds since Jan. 2011, I've lost 19" in my neck, waist, hips, thighs, but I STILL have that dang inner tube-looking thing around my belly! I do cardio and strength training at least 4-5 times weekly, yet I can't get rid of the inner tube! I go shopping for new shirts, and love how my boobs and upper waist area look, but HATE my belly and love handles. HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS EXTRA FAT???? As you can see from my ticker below, I'm trying to lose quite a bit more weight - will my inner tube begin "deflating" as I keep losing weight? I need advice - quickly!

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    I know what you mean! But from what I hear, it will eventually come off. keep working! Great job !
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if it was the first place you put the weight on in the beginning, it will be the last place to lose it. Stick with what you are doing. 42 pounds lost is wonderful! I am only a couple pounds from my goal and my belly fat is finally shrinking. As you get closer to your goal, you will start noticing bigger changes around your mid-section.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-target areas, so once you lose more weight the tummy will eventually go away. I would suggest cutting out processed foods and sugars. Plus, drinking nonfat milk and green tea helps to speed up your metabolism... I drink green tea about 3 times a day and it always relaxes me!
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I cannot lose the belly either. Anyone have a good exercise for that? Please don't say crunches.:frown:
  • truckie332
    truckie332 Posts: 11
    Options
    belly(waist) fat is usually one of the last places to burn off. keep on hittin it hard, and get your diet on point, and it will come off in time.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Definitely the last place to come off for sure!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes, but if it was the first place you put the weight on in the beginning, it will be the last place to lose it. Stick with what you are doing. 42 pounds lost is wonderful! I am only a couple pounds from my goal and my belly fat is finally shrinking. As you get closer to your goal, you will start noticing bigger changes around your mid-section.

Thank you!! That is motivating :happy:
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    it WILL come off...mine is starting too=) just stick with it, it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job!!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Oh, and dark chocolate is also supposed to help fight belly fat. I just did an experiment with chocolate for one week as an evening snack. I went from being on a plateau for 5-6 weeks to finally dropping 2.4 pounds in the last 7 days. I wrote about it in my blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/plateau-vs-chocolate-who-won-116497

After posting the blog, someone pointed out an article written by Prevention magazine about how dark chocolate helps fight belly fat. Then it dawned on me that is probably why I posted my NSV a couple days ago about my belly fat finally shrinking!!! lol
  • truckie332
    truckie332 Posts: 11
    Options
    oh, one more thing, do some strength training, women particularly fear weights for fear of "bulking up". but that is soo not true. Lean muscle mass, torches body fat. dont fear geting "big". thats not gonna happen, unless u have a really, on point bulking diet. And remember, lower weights, higher reps. you wanna be at failure at around 12 reps for leaning out.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    From experience, it will come off! It just takes time, mine is finally going away, I still have a bit and I am at my goal weight! I was having the same issue and I was advised to up my ab workouts. I did it and I have REALLY seen the results! I do 35-45 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week, plus strength training also 5-6 days a week (alternating which areas I target every day) but I do some form of crunches or ab exercises every day. Hang in there, you have done great so far.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I think it is different for everyone. For me, i would literally feel different the next morning because my belly was getting smaller. My husband's belly has literally been melting before my eyes. I just say keep up the good work! Also, for me, in losing the fat, I am losing boob volume! *hanging my head* (but there's a surgery for that :-) seriously.... Keep up the good work. Everybody is different.
  • EmilyDezo
    EmilyDezo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have to say that before I had my two kids I had lost 80lbs. One thing that helped a lot is Denise Austin's 15 video from the 80's called Super Stomachs. I only had it on VHS and my first son decided to park his toys inside the VCR so we didn't have it any more...so now I'm trying to loose those 80lbs again after having two kids....I went back to that video...I actually found it on youtube. This is the link to my morning workout with Denise working on stomach. It's an old video, but I honestly haven't found anything better. I feel like you start toning up rather quickly...I mean you're not going to have a six pack tomorrow, but compared to other things I love this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scXiReAsv7Y&feature=mh_lolz&list=PLED700CE604121E31
    Emily