Where is my waist? Measuring help needed, plz

Options
2»

Replies

• kindaskinny
    Options
    I'd like to find my waist, its there somewhere just havent seen it for a while!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My doctor measures me between the very bottom of the ribcage and top of the hip bone. I measure at the belly button.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Funny how when I was growing up there was never a question about where your waist was but now with high rise, low rise, medium rise jeans we are all confused.
    Oh yeah - I have to explain to my 14 year old daughter (who is short waisted with very long legs) that no, her waist is not at the top of her butt crack ... it's actually over her belly button - around where the top of her pelvis is ...

Low rise jeans (if you have a teen age daughter and are concerned about her wearing age appropriate clothes) are EVIL.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess that part of the problem is that there is a different "standard" waist for fitness and for sewing. It's useful to know, because I was thinking of ordering dresses off of Etsy, and they need your measurements. For MFP I'm just going to continue measuring my belly button because it's the thickest part of me.

well, that would be fine for MFP purposes. But I would just suggest calling it what it is, an "abdominal mesurement" not a waist measurement. Also, when figuring the hip/waist ratio (waist divided by hips), you need to measure, the narrowest part. That is important because of health risks.

sorry, but I keep seeing everyone call it "waist" at belly button, and for medical and fitness purposes it's just not accurate. Everyone should know their actual hip / waist ratio, and it won't work, if you measure at belly button.
  • Pseudocyber
    Options

well, that would be fine for MFP purposes. But I would just suggest calling it what it is, an "abdominal mesurement" not a waist measurement. Also, when figuring the hip/waist ratio (waist divided by hips), you need to measure, the narrowest part. That is important because of health risks.

sorry, but I keep seeing everyone call it "waist" at belly button, and for medical and fitness purposes it's just not accurate. Everyone should know their actual hip / waist ratio, and it won't work, if you measure at belly button.

So.... that's measuring my beer belly across my belly button - to my hips (around my narrower portion where my pelvis is) - where I wear my jeans - so my ratio is upside down ... say it's 40/38 and it needs to be the other way around 34/38 for health?
  • Pseudocyber
    Options
    deleted double post.
  • lidunne
    lidunne Posts: 46 Member
    Options