I don't know what I am doing wrong

Options
I have been working out for 5 months (about 4 times a week, varying strength and cardio), eating right using MFP and staying within calories but I have only lost 8 pounds. MFP keeps saying if you keep this up you'll be XXX lbs in 5 weeks. But I am still no where near that!! So frustrating.

I want to give up. How do I stay motivated? How do I explain this low weight loss? (I am 6 feet and weigh 177 currently- although this past week my weight inexplicably went up 3 pounds!!)

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Are you sure your are eating enough? Also are you drinking enough water?
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    Have you looked into getting a heart rate monitor? You could target your training to specific zones to promote fat burning. :glasses: Please don't give up because you can do this. If all else fails see your doctor and let he or she know what you've been doing and see if there's an underlying health issue to blame.
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    You may not be doing anything wrong, per say. What is your definition of eating right? (EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT ONE!) Go to eatcleandiet.com and click on resources. Download the PDF for the Eat Clean Grocery list. Plan ur meals using foods from that list. I hope that helps.
  • rachaelv77
    rachaelv77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat things that are processed. So lots of grilled fish and chicken breasts, salad, fruits, veggies. Some rice and occasionally pasta. All bran for breakfast :(

I do my own baking (I have 2 small kids) so any treats I try to eat homemade. About once a week I treat myself to ice cream or pizza.

I am thinking my thyroid is off. 4 generations of women (on my mom's side) in my family had thyroid issues. I used to be able to lose weight very quickly.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for almost 1 year, and I think my body had adjusted to the lower calories. There would be a day here and there I would go over, but mostly stuck to 1600 net calories. Been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for the last 3 to 4 months. Last week I got frustrated, figured I'm maintaining anyway, why not set my level to maintenance and see what happens? (~2050 net calories). I'm happy to say I'm at my lowest weight ever this week after just one week of eating MORE! If your weight has been steady anyway, give it a try! I did gain 2 pounds after the first couple of days on maintenance, but that went away by the end of week.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    I have been working out for 5 months (about 4 times a week, varying strength and cardio), eating right using MFP and staying within calories but I have only lost 8 pounds. MFP keeps saying if you keep this up you'll be XXX lbs in 5 weeks. But I am still no where near that!! So frustrating.

I want to give up. How do I stay motivated? How do I explain this low weight loss? (I am 6 feet and weigh 177 currently- although this past week my weight inexplicably went up 3 pounds!!)

I'm in the same position as you! It's SO annoying...and extremely discouraging.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    im just guessing that since you're 6 feet and 177 (which is my weight, but i'm 5'8), you may be more at a normal weight for your height so your body doesn't want to let the weight go? i lost a lot of weight easily at first, but I've lost less than eight pounds in the last two months, probably because my body is starting to resist the change?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories and that affects your metabolism, making you gain weight or difficulty in losing weight. I also had that same problem, I lost a huge amount of lbs. but stayed on plateau in 4 months and even gained 3-5 pounds. Only to realized that I was eating too few calories. Although the calorie goal specified in MFP can be helpful but you need also to know your daily calorie needs for you to maintain your weight. For you to lose a pound a week, there should be 3,500 calorie deficit or 500 daily. So from your daily calorie intake, you subtract 500 to determine the right amount of calories you need to take in during the day. Also you can do this by just staying on that calorie needs and burn 500 calories daily or a combination of both diet and exercise (-250 calories in from food, +250 calories out from exercise).

For you to determine your daily calorie needs, first you need to know your basal metabolic rate (BMR) or the amount of calories your body naturally burns just by simply functioning. This is the formula for determining the BMR.

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Then once you know your BMR, you can calculate your Daily Calorie Needs based on your activity level using the Harris Benedict formula. The more active you are, the more calories you need to take in. Multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Then from there, you can actually know the amount of calories you need to eat to lose weight. And if you lose weight, your BMR and daily calorie needs will change too & which is why its easier to lose weight when we are heavier and then we struggle to lose the remaining pounds once we are already lighter. When you lose weight, don't forget to re-compute.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    If you're doing strength training you will gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't give up, hang in there.