Vitamins

Options
I was told by my doctor not to take anything with vitamin B6 in it. All multiple vitamins have B6. I went to the health food store & he had me buy multiple minerals. That took care of the mineral part but now need to get some vitamins.
I take 50,000 units of vitamin D twice a month. I take 400 units of E a day. What other vitamins do U think I should be taking. I figure I need Vitamin C for one. I get a vitamin B12 shot every 4 weeks. It gets expensive buying them one by one.

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I take 600mg of Calcium along with Centrum Men's every day.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Ok now since I dont like getting injections I havent ever tried injectible B12 but why not take a B-Complex daily and eliminate the need for the shot and taking a seperate B6 pill?
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    Take a look at your overall nutrition and figure out what you might be lacking. I'd recommend iron, calcium with vitamin D and fish oil or flax seed for Omega-3 for everyone. If your profile info is accurate I'm guessing calcium is especially important for you. In your case I wouldn't hesitate calling the doctor's office and asking what vitamin regime they recommend for you.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I was told by my doctor not to take anything with vitamin B6 in it. All multiple vitamins have B6.

Why were you advised to not take B6?
  • Bamagal36
    Bamagal36 Posts: 33
    Options
    jbucci1492,
    Does the Men's not have the B vitamins in it? I'll have to check on that.
    cleanNpd4, I have tingling in my hands & it is weird.. I don't really feel it in my hands but in space outside my hands. I can tell it is coming from my left hand. If not having B6 doesn't stop it the next step is a neurologist (sp)
    notOpel,
    Yes, My profile is correct. I'll be 75 in Sept. I was taking Viactiv but hesitate now since it has quite a bit of sugar. I bought Caltrate but I see it has some of the same minerals in it that I bought today. Also my pain med(which I try not to take) says not to take calcium carbonate in it. I take the chewable ones as I once got choked on a calcium pill.. it really scared me. I forgot to list it but I do take fish oil.
    Heatherbelle_87
    There is not enough B12 in a pill. Any B complex will have B6.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bamagal, the best advice I can give you is to change your diet, not your vitamins and supplements. I don't know what foods you eat, but replacing the food you eat now with whole foods - unprocessed organic oatmeal, organic fruits and vegetables, beans, yogurt, and lean protein like turkey and fish - you will feel much better and your body will be able to serve you a lot better now and later.
    The body recognizes any foreign substance (chemicals, processed food) as an immune threat it must fight off. These hormonal "switches" can cause all kinds of symptoms. The best step to take is to really keep your food in your diet natural, organic, clean, and prepared at home (or fresh and raw).
  • Bamagal36
    Bamagal36 Posts: 33
    Options
    theflyingartist,
    I feel like I eat pretty good but on a diet it is hard to get in all the vitamins & minerals.
    I can't afford everything organic. I use lots of frozen veggies & fruit with no sugar added.. Right now I have been going to a farmers market & getting some fruit & vegetables. I like raw squash & peppers with hummus.
    You seem to have lost a lot of weight. What diet are you following?
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    bamagal,
    sounds like you are on the right track. sticking with the whole foods idea is definitely vital for good health. nothing processed and after awhile your body will thank you.
    i just keep my activity level high, and always try to walk or move about. vacuuming, walking around the community, cleaning up and making sure i am physically moving my body is the best way to see weight loss.