Ab Definition...

Options
glp724
glp724 Posts: 48 Member
How slim do you have to be to see ab definition? I'm 5'7" and my lowest weight was 145 and not even close to seeing any definition. I'm waaaaaaay far off from my goal now, but I was curious as to how much I might need to lose before I see some pretty abs in here.

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's your body fat that has to be very low to show real ab definition.
  • sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    i might be wrong but i believe abs become defined or "see-able" once u reach a certain body fat percentage...which is pretty low...and if i picked a percent i would b guessing from my memory of physical education in school...but if i were to shoot into a bucket i'd say prolly around 12-16%...which odd because healthy i believe is 20-22... lol
  • glp724
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...I doubt I'd ever make it that low, but a girl can dream...
  • sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...I doubt I'd ever make it that low, but a girl can dream...

i know what u mean...its definitely a dream of mine...but i dont think normal ppl have abs lol...u gotta be some kind of super person...i'd b happy with a semi-flat stomach haha
  • mtf612
    mtf612 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can make it if you work hard enough for it. You need to do abdominal exercises regularly to first build up the muscles. Just like any other muscle building routine this will require extra protein and calories in your diet. You then need to be at least below 14% bodyfat, though usually abs only appear at 12% or lower.

You can do it. I did. One of my proudest accomplishments in my entire life.
  • glp724
    Options
    You can make it if you work hard enough for it. You need to do abdominal exercises regularly to first build up the muscles. Just like any other muscle building routine this will require extra protein and calories in your diet. You then need to be at least below 14% bodyfat, though usually abs only appear at 12% or lower.

I saw your pics on another thread and you look AMAZING!!! Great job! I'm sure I could do it, but I doubt I have the time/committment to go that far. Maybe in my next life LOL!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'7". when I was 145, I still had a gut. I would kinda see my obliques a little, but not really-- my stomach was not even flat if I sucked in at hard as possible. I'm at 135 right now, and I have a flat stomach, but I cannot see definition, and I know I have abs underneath my flab because I was a gymnast, and I do lots of core training. When I am down to 130, i'm hoping it is pretty defined, but I'm hoping around 125 there will be a 4/6 pack.
    You have to be pretty small. My waist is 25.5, and I still don't got that total definition..
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I saw your pics on another thread and you look AMAZING!!! Great job! I'm sure I could do it, but I doubt I have the time/committment to go that far. Maybe in my next life LOL!

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

you can see abs at 18 and lower... as seen in pictures
  • mtf612
    mtf612 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

you can see abs at 18 and lower... as seen in pictures
    You would have to have pretty ridiculously large (roid) abs to have them visible at 18% body fat for a male. But you are correct you will see some basic definition in WOMEN at 18%. I neglected to factor in gender :P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!