vegetables? Ewww

Options
How does a person learn to like healthy veggies? I love tomatoes, corn, potatoes, peas, green beans, cukes, and I can eat cauliflower and broccli raw if I have a little dressing... but I am afraid that I hopelessly hate most other veggies. And since i am tryin to learn new eating habits, how do I learn to like a food I hate?:ohwell: Any tips?

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Next time you make mashed potatoes, use 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 broccoli. I've made this for friends and family a couple of times, and now get requests for it when they come over...

And - try new preparations! Sometimes I find that food that I thought I didn't like, I really do - I just didn't like how it was prepared.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you try different seasonings it might change your mind about certain foods. I think this is true about a lot of things and not just veggies, because there are some foods cooked one way with a certain type of seasoning that I think is gross...but the same food seasoned a different way and possibly cooked differently (broiled vs. baked vs. poached, etc) tastes very different.

I would suggest finding some new recipes with different veggies that you might not have liked before. Try the new recipes and see if that helps.

But remember, that you don't HAVE to eat any of them that you don't like. I won't eat cabbage no matter what. Just don't like it no matter how it's cooked. But I get my nutrients from other places, so it's all good, lol.
  • sasha1966
    sasha1966 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ditto about the seasonings. Search around for new recipes and you'll be amazed at how much you can like the veggies you thought you hated. I've been getting into roasted root veggies: beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots. Slice them up, toss them in some garlic powder, curry powder, black pepper, salt, a little bit of olive oil and bake. They taste better to me than french fries now! And I always thought beets and turnips tasted horrible before.
  • suzyq584
    suzyq584 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Next time you make mashed potatoes, use 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 broccoli. I've made this for friends and family a couple of times, and now get requests for it when they come over...

And - try new preparations! Sometimes I find that food that I thought I didn't like, I really do - I just didn't like how it was prepared.

Do you mean 1/2 cauliflower? I've tried that and it's pretty good but I've never tried broccoli. :)
  • suzyq584
    suzyq584 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sasha - Better than french fries? WOW! I've gotta try it then. Do you have a specific recipe you can share?
  • RedPepper39759
    Options
    I sautee/stir-fry all kinds of veggies all the time. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning is really great on EVERYTHING. When I am too lazy to chop up onion/garlic, I use powered onion/garlic. And I cook frozen veggies all the time. One simplest and our all time favorite is to microwave frozen broccoli (at least 10 minutes, toss or stir it a couple of times in the middle), then toss and lightly coat it with shredded sharp cheddar cheese or slices of Velveeta cheese. It is good to eat with rotisserie chicken that I can get from Walmart and multi-grain bread or brown rice. I only feed my family in fast easy ways during the week!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    How does a person learn to like healthy veggies? I love tomatoes, corn, potatoes, peas, green beans, cukes, and I can eat cauliflower and broccli raw if I have a little dressing... but I am afraid that I hopelessly hate most other veggies. And since i am tryin to learn new eating habits, how do I learn to like a food I hate?:ohwell: Any tips?
    Tomato is a fruit , and I count corn, potato & peas as carbs.

I would suggest you look for recipes of other veggies and experiment with new ones, but if you know you like cukes, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli, then eat it to your hearts content. One thing I discovered was that I disliked certain veg because of how I had them growing up. For example brussel sprouts. My mother always bought frozen brussel sprouts and boiled them to death. I went out to dinner one evening and they had roasted sprouts on the menu. Tried them and LOVED them. So now I buy fresh sprouts, blanch then roast with a bit of garlic, olive oil & chili flakes. YUM!

So pick a veg to try, google til you find a recipe that sounds easy to prepare and give it a go! One thing I discovered was that there are certain veggies I can only enjoy when they are fresh instead of frozen or canned, maybe you will too!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ditto about the seasonings. Search around for new recipes and you'll be amazed at how much you can like the veggies you thought you hated. I've been getting into roasted root veggies: beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots. Slice them up, toss them in some garlic powder, curry powder, black pepper, salt, a little bit of olive oil and bake. They taste better to me than french fries now! And I always thought beets and turnips tasted horrible before.

This! Roasted golden beets & yukon gold potatoes is some good eating.
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies... I should say, I know that the corn, potatoes, and peas are carbs, so that's why i was asking waht i could do... anyways..